LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby relantel on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:01 pm

JS© wrote:I'm also gonna disagree. What if JJ is part of an accident, needs to go to the pits for 2-3 laps and puts him about 21st before he comes out. Not saying that's where it would have been, but using it as an example of the points difference between Kenseth and Johnson. Then you have Kenseth scraping for every point possible.

I don't blame him for blocking. It's not good racing, but it does make sense when you're in a chase for the title

If Kenseth had a legitimate shot at the title, I don't think I'd be annoyed at it. If that was their concern, they should have been fighting Hamlin for the win instead of playing defense. 88's mistake in not moving the 20 out of the way, but it was clear who had the better car deep into the run.

I'm happy for Denny that he got a win. Might be more important for him post-injury than the 88 getting one, as far as going into 2014. But sure looked like one that got away from the 88, just like waiting too long at Talladega, and missing pit road at Dover. How many more times is it "right around the corner" before they breakthrough? Easily their best Chase under the HMS banner, and most top-10s in a season in Earnhardt's career. It's almost like the 3 team in 2000. Strong close, rebound year, runner up in points, setting up a title run in 2001. One that never happened due the cruel Daytona fate, but all signs point to a team on the rise. Are they in the 48-20 league? Not yet. But they may well prove they are in 2014.

On another track, wonder if Harvick is having second thoughts about leaving RCR given their strong Chase... I sense the grass won't be greener on the other side at SHR.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Smoke and Harvick are good buddies. I doubt he is not regretting it right now that is.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 am

January testing not that far off... two weeks to the Chili Bowl.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:18 pm

How did I miss that Hornish left Penske? He just signed a 7-race deal to sub for KyBu's NNS 54 when Kyle isn't doing double duty. NAPA, perhaps quite opportunistically, is positioning itself to get back in NSCS, by sponsoring Chase Elliott's NNS ride for JR Motorsports. I bet they'll be his Sprint Cup Sponsor when he inevitably joins HMS, perhaps in the 24.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:48 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:How did I miss that Hornish left Penske? He just signed a 7-race deal to sub for KyBu's NNS 54 when Kyle isn't doing double duty. NAPA, perhaps quite opportunistically, is positioning itself to get back in NSCS, by sponsoring Chase Elliott's NNS ride for JR Motorsports. I bet they'll be his Sprint Cup Sponsor when he inevitably joins HMS, perhaps in the 24.

Penske didn't have a car for Hornish, despite finishing 2nd in the NNS points. It's all about the $$$$$$$.

Who did Chase Elliott dump to win his race? was that Ty Dillon in the trucks?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Mmm hmm. At the Ohio Road Course track, right? That was a wild ending. Will Penske only have the 22 this year?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:11 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Mmm hmm. At the Ohio Road Course track, right? That was a wild ending. Will Penske only have the 22 this year?

was road course somewhere. I think it was him. Maybe it wasn't him. I can't really remember.

ahhh, yes, the Ontario track, Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/2 ... rado_250/C
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm

wow.

Letarte leaving HMS for the TV booth in 2015 for NBC. Given the chemistry with Earnhardt Jr, this is a shocking move, but perhaps it should not be surprising.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news ... TV-in-2015
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:13 am

That was a total surprise. He skipped owning his own team on the Evernham career path.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Wow. I can't believe they would do this. The 16-man field would eliminate the excitement of the first 26 races. The 4-driver finale would make Talladega a freaking blast! But I can't help but think this will produce a lot of illegitimate winners. I'd hate to see a mediocre driver (like Harvick the past few years) sneak into the "finale" and win the championship.

Of course, Hamlin, who has won Homestead twice, thinks this is a great idea, and I can't blame him.

NASCAR drivers and owners won't sit with officials for their annual briefings until next week, but news of potentially dramatic changes to the sport's point system and championship Chase for the Sprint Cup format has already started to leak.

The Charlotte Observer reported Friday night that NASCAR is strongly considering implementing eliminations during the 10-week Chase that would create a four-driver, winner-take-all season finale. The newspaper also said NASCAR would expand the 12-driver playoff field to 16 and that a win in the first 26 races would practically guarantee a playoff berth.

NASCAR spokesman Brett Jewkes declined to comment on the story outside of a statement that said the sanctioning body had "begun the process of briefing key industry stakeholders on potential concepts to evolve its NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship format."
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm pretty ambivalent about most rules changes, but this would destroy NASCAR.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm pretty ambivalent about most rules changes, but this would destroy NASCAR.

Right. This is right out of pro-wrestling. Hasn't the Chase been exciting enough the last few years. If you don't want JJ to win every year, change the tracks in the Chase. This is drastic and unwarranted.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:09 pm

terrible idea. Would make it so that you wouldn't be able to have your mulligan in the first race of the chase (blown engine, etc) and still remain in it.

I'd just assume they scrap the chase and make every race count equally again. Most points after 36 races wins.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

It's kind of funny that a driver could theoretically win 35 races, finish 2nd in the 36th, and lose the championship.

Anyways, as awful as the new points system is, what are your thoughts on the new qualifying scheme? I envision a lot of wrecking.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:23 pm

rubbin' is racin' dot jpeg
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:It's kind of funny that a driver could theoretically win 35 races, finish 2nd in the 36th, and lose the championship.

Anyways, as awful as the new points system is, what are your thoughts on the new qualifying scheme? I envision a lot of wrecking.

Doesn't matter, most teams dont' get too concerned with qualifying now anyways. Even on a track where its notoriously hard to pass, the races are so long that you'll get plenty of chances to play pit strategy and get up front. It's just lipstick on a pig.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I think it's stupid. I could see it for road courses, but not ovals. NASCAR is not F1, and does not have F1's small numbers. Have some self-respect, NASCAR.

I was thankful they went back to random draw for qualifying last year. But why change the fundamental feature of the sport in such a way? If you don't want to use single-car qualifying, then use heat races, if you claim you want fan interest higher. The small time periods they're allowing are going to force cars close to others on the track, affecting air, speed & handling.

Hell. Increase interest? Go back to day 1 qualifying setting the pole and positions 2-25. Then run second round qualifying on day 2, that allows teams not in the top 25 a chance to stand on their time or improve their position. A number of times, this resulted in the 26th place starter having a time faster than the polesitter, in some cases holding a new track record without ever having won the pole. I don't quite remember when this disappeared, but it has to be somewhere over 10 years ago and maybe as many as 15.

You want drama? Have no provisionals and allow the fastest 43 to race. If a regular isn't among those, too bad. At least with the top 35 rule scratched, a driver knew if he was in the top 36 he was in the race, instead of having to beat out only 6 other go or go homers under the Top 35 rule. I.e. one could have qualified 9th, but been the 8th go or go homer, and miss the race. I think that actually happened to Robby Gordon once. Might have been Daytona, qualified 7th* but based on the top 35 rule he was out. *finished 7th in heat race in 2005. Pre and post Top 35 rule, it was always 1-14 in each heat race filled starting spots 3-30 in the Daytona 500. Only top 4 go or go homers got in on speed, and Gordon was the 8th of that class. So despite the finish that would have traditionally gotten him into the Daytona 500, he was out. That season, that rule also cost Derrike Cope a spot in the race, 14th in the same heat. Kerry Earnhardt finished 11th in the other qualifying race and DNQ'd, a total of three drivers affected by the Top 35 rule. Don't ask me to figure out which three that would have bumped.

http://www.jayski.com/next/2005/2005daytona500.htm

Ok, I figured it out. Under the traditional 1-2 pole day 3-30 qual races, 31-36 speed, 37-42 provisional & 43 PC provisional, Gordon, Cope & Earnhardt are in, and Schrader (33 in owners points), Green (32 in op) and Mike Wallace would have missed the race. Rusty Wallace would have been the past champion provisional. The 31-36 starters: Harvick, Nemechek, E. Sadler, Petty, Kahne, and Bliss.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

As a Robby Gordon fan (yes there are a couple) that was a very sad day.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Since I figured it out, here is what the 2005 Daytona 500 should have started:

1. Jarrett 88 (Pole)
2. Johnson 48 (outside pole)
3. Waltrip 15 (won duel 1)
4. Stewart 20 (won duel 2)
5. Earnhardt Jr 8 (2nd duel 1)
6. J. Burton 31 (2nd duel 2)
7. Skinner 23 (3rd duel 1)
8. Lepage 37 (3rd duel 2)
9. Newman 12 (4th duel 1)
10. Truex Jr 1 (4th duel 2)
11. Rudd 21 (5th duel 1)
12. Riggs (5th duel 2)
13. Ku. Busch 97 (6th duel 1)
14. Kenseth 17 (6th duel 2)
15. J. Gordon 24 (7th duel 1)
16. R. Gordon 7 (7th duel 2)
17. McMurray 42 (8th duel 1)
18. Wimmer 22 (8th duel 2)
19. Ky Busch 5 (9th duel 2)
20. Marlin 40 (9th duel 2)
21. K. Wallace 00 (10th duel 1)
22. Said 36 (10th duel 2)
23. K. Earnhardt (11th duel 1)
24. Andretti 14 (11th duel 2)
25. Leffler 11 (12th duel 1)
26. B. Labonte 18 (12th duel 2)
27. Biffle 16 (13th duel 1)
28. Hamilton Jr (13th duel 2)
29. Kvapil 77 (14th duel 1)
30. Cope 55 (14th duel 2)
31. Harvick 29 (47.894)
32. Nemechek 01 (47.914)
33. E. Sadler 38 (48.026)
34. K. Petty 45 (48.135)
35. Kahne 9 (48.261)
36. Bliss 0 (48.319)
37. Martin 6 (Provisional - 4th Owners points)
38. Mayfield 19 (Provisional - 10th op)
39. R. Wallace 2 (Provisional - 16th op)
40. Edwards 99 (Provisional - 21st op)
41. Blaney 07 (Provisional - 22nd op)
42. Mears 41 (Provisional - 23rd op)
43. Vickers 25 (Provisional - 26th op)

DNQ: Schrader 49, Green 43, M. Wallace 4, McClure 73, Barrett 92, Gunselman 52, Jo. Sauter 09, H. Sadler 66, Belmont 80, LaJoie 34, Shelmerdine 27, Shepherd 89, Sacks 13, G. Bodine 93

Some years 31-38 was on speed, and only 4 provisionals - the next two on speed would have been R. Wallace and Mayfield, the 2nd & 3rd provisional, so making the race would be the same 43. 2004 used the 1-2, 3-30, 31-38, 39-42, PC43 method.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

What the hell were they doing last night? I woke up at 4am and could still hear them full volume
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 pm

All I know is Race Hub is back to being new each day today, and Steve Byrnes is supposed to be back from his cancer battle.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 pm

so the new chase format is officially announced.

Spoiler:
•NASCAR Announces Chase For The NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Format Change: NASCAR announced a new championship format today that will put greater emphasis on winning races all season long, expands the current Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup field to 16 drivers, and implements a new round-by-round advancement format that ultimately will reward a battle-tested, worthy champion. We have arrived at a format that makes every race matter even more, diminishes points racing, puts a premium on winning races and concludes with a best-of-the-best, first-to-the-finish line showdown race  all of which is exactly what fans want, said Brian France, NASCAR chairman and CEO. We have looked at a number of concepts for the last three years through fan research, models and simulations, and also maintained extensive dialogue with our drivers, teams and partners. The new Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup will be thrilling, easy to understand and help drive our sports competition to a whole new level.
Changes announced by France to the championship format include:
- A victory in the first 26 races all but guarantees a berth in the 10-race Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup  a change that will put an unprecedented importance on winning a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race all season long
- Expanding the Chase field from 12 to 16 drivers, with those drivers advancing to what now will be known as the NASCAR Chase Grid
- The number of championship drivers in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship will decrease after every three Chase races, from 16 to start in the Chase Grid; 12 after Chase race No. 3; eight after Chase race No. 6; and four after Chase race No. 9
- The first three races of the Chase (27-29) will be known as the Challenger Round
- Races 30-32 will be known as the Contender Round
- Races 33-35 will be the Eliminator Round and race No. 36 will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship
- A win by a championship-eligible driver in any Chase race automatically clinches the winning driver a spot in the next Chase round
- Four drivers will enter the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship with a chance at the title, with the highest finisher among those four capturing the prestigious NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship.
Eligibility for the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup: The top 15 drivers with the most wins over the first 26 races will earn a spot in the NASCAR Chase Grid  provided they have finished in the top 30 in points and attempted to qualify for every race (except in rare instances). The 16th Chase position will go to the points leader after race No. 26, if he/she does not have a victory. In the event that there are 16 or more different winners over 26 races, the only winless driver who can earn a Chase Grid spot would be the points leader after 26 races.
If there are fewer than 16 different winners in the first 26 races, the remaining Chase Grid positions will go to those winless drivers highest in points. If there are 16 or more winners in the first 26 races, the ties will first be broken by number of wins, followed by NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver points.
As was implemented in 2011, prior to the start of the Chase, all Chase Grid drivers will have their points adjusted to 2,000, with three additional bonus points added to their total for each win in the first 26 races.
Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Structure After the third Chase race, the Chase Grid will be left with 12 drivers. After the sixth Chase race, the field will drop to eight drivers, and following the ninth Chase race, only four drivers will remain in championship contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup title.
The first round (races 27-29) will be called the Challenger Round. If a driver in the Chase Grid wins a Challenger Round race, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-12 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 3,000.
The second round (races 30-32) will be called the Contender Round. Likewise, if a driver in the top 12 in points wins a race in the Contender Round, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-8 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 4,000.
The third round (races 33-35) will be called the Eliminator Round. If a driver in the top eight in points wins a race in the Eliminator Round, the driver automatically advances to the next round. The remaining available positions 1-4 that have not been filled based upon wins will be based on points. Each will then have their points reset to 5,000.
Additionally, drivers who are eliminated in the Contender and Eliminator Rounds will have their points readjusted. Each eliminated driver will return to the Chase-start base of 2,000 (plus any regular season wins bonus points), with their accumulated points starting with race No. 27 added. This will allow all drivers not in contention for the NASCAR Sprint Cup title to continue to race for the best possible season-long standing, with final positions fifth-through-16th still up for grabs.
Four Drivers, First-to-the-Finish Championship Finale The 36th and final race of the season will be the NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship. Simply stated, the highest finisher in that race among the remaining four eligible drivers will win the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series title. Bonus points for laps led will not apply in the season finale, so the official finishing position alone will decide the champion.
All rules outlined above also apply to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner championship structure.(NASCAR)(1-30-2014)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 pm

So consistancy keeps you in it until the end and winning the last race makes you champion? Am I getting this right?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

Guess what I don't like is they are throwing away the entire season for one race. Highest finisher among the four drivers left.

So, summary: a three race first round. Win & move on, or be top 12 (well, 12 unless there is a winner who finishes worse than 12) in points those three.
round two similar, 3 races, cut down to 8.
Round three similar, 3 races, cut down to 4.

Last round is simply the final race, no seeding. No bonus points.

I see where they are going, but would be better IMHO with a 12 race Chase instead of 10 if they want to use that format. Go 24+12 instead of 26+10.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 pm

CERV96 wrote:So consistancy keeps you in it until the end and winning the last race makes you champion? Am I getting this right?

pretty much, but just finishing ahead of the other three finalists would be enough.

But consistency alone may not be enough to get to the final round.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR