LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:34 pm

So mastering homestead and being consistant the whole way can win you a championship every year? This will last until we keep getting the same driver winning again is the way I see it.

What I would have done was change the tracks every year in the final 10 and keep the format the same. Maybe throw a road coarse in there along with Bristol.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

I get what they are trying to do, making it a win & move on type idea, but at what point does it become too gimmicky?

They really have devauled each individual race, as it doesn't mean near as much anymore. Want to win a title? Great. Pick one strong track to win in the first 26, and coast through the rest. That's really no different than before, except that before, they at least had to try enough to make sure they were in the top 10. Or top 12. Or top 10 + wildcards. Format keeps changing slightly, until this major change.

Other news yesterday was the All Star race. The Open will now be the night of the Truck race. And all eligible cars will then qualify together on Saturday, night of the race. Gotta think this is more for the draw of the Sprint cup guys on Friday, to increase Truck attendance, more than anything else. Eligibility AFAIK is unchanged for the event. Past champion/past all star winner last 10 years, race winner in 2013 or 2014, automatically in. Which means, as of now, Earnhardt Jr has to rely on the open or fan vote. Though I expect that team to win before Charlotte. Finished 2nd in the Daytona 500 three of the last four years.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: PM me your email addy for invite to LGP Extra Attacker league

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Horrible horrible horrible
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Horrible horrible horrible
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Not sure if this is cool or not, so if it isn't let me know and I'll delete it.

I haven't been to a NASCAR race since about 1995. I haven't followed the sport at all since 2000 or so, but having lived in NC and being an auto racing fan (Tudor, F1, Continental, Indy(sorta)) it seemed kind of weird that we haven't gone to a NASCAR event yet since my wife and I were both fans growing up. We decided to buy tickets to the Coca-Cola 600 to cross that off the bucket list. We thought she'd be clear of her cancer treatment by Memorial Day and that it would be a fun easy weekend trip. But now her treatment is dragging out until June 12 and we just can't swing it.

I threw the tickets on StubHub, but if someone here wanted to go I'd transfer them to you (Ticketmaster) at face value. They're piggyback seats, GMG Rows 23-24, Seat 30. $270 for the set. Again, they'll probably sell on SH but if someone wanted an at-cost ticket instead of paying for the SH up-charge these are available until further notice. If this bothers anyone I'm happy to take it down.

Thanks.
dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm

This idea is horrible enough....factor in the fact that every single year the final race is at Homestead, and it's enough to make you gouge your eyes out. I hate the idea that driver could theoretically win 35 races, finish 2nd in the 36th, and be considered the 2nd best driver in NASCAR that year. Bill France would be ashamed of what his son has done to his beloved sport.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but perhaps this played a role:

Jeff Gluck ‏@jeff_gluck 1h
According to @nascarnomics, the Final Four last year would have been Johnson, Harvick, Dale Jr., Logano.

Champion: Dale Jr. #NASCAR

Couple that with France's comment that "the system will help a guy like Dale Jr." and you have to wonder if this is a screw JJ, go Jr. thing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but perhaps this played a role:

Jeff Gluck ‏@jeff_gluck 1h
According to @nascarnomics, the Final Four last year would have been Johnson, Harvick, Dale Jr., Logano.

Champion: Dale Jr. #NASCAR

Couple that with France's comment that "the system will help a guy like Dale Jr." and you have to wonder if this is a screw JJ, go Jr. thing.

Also, wrap your head around that: Kenseth, the guy that finished in SECOND PLACE -- the guy who had by far the second best season of 2013 -- wouldn't have even been in contention at Homestead.

This is just a freaking joke.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Earnhardt had one of the most consistent seasons - and might have won that Homestead race but for Kenseth blocking - but the only way to get to that last race is hope someone already eliminated wins Martinsville, Texas or Phoenix, or be higher than everyone other than those three winners, or that a driver wins more than one of them.

It really should make it more difficult to get to the end with a winless season. I think what France might have meant - and this is conjecture - as Earnhardt blew an engine in the first Chase race, and was out of it, working an exceptional chase to finish 1 point back of 4th, that the early rounds average three races, and a chance to get back into it after a poor first chase race.

I still don't like it, but I think that has to be the angle they are talking about. IIRC, Logano finished worse at Chicago than Earnhardt did.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:16 am

relantel wrote:Earnhardt had one of the most consistent seasons - and might have won that Homestead race but for Kenseth blocking - but the only way to get to that last race is hope someone already eliminated wins Martinsville, Texas or Phoenix, or be higher than everyone other than those three winners, or that a driver wins more than one of them.

It really should make it more difficult to get to the end with a winless season. I think what France might have meant - and this is conjecture - as Earnhardt blew an engine in the first Chase race, and was out of it, working an exceptional chase to finish 1 point back of 4th, that the early rounds average three races, and a chance to get back into it after a poor first chase race.

I still don't like it, but I think that has to be the angle they are talking about. IIRC, Logano finished worse at Chicago than Earnhardt did.
That's a fair perspective, and it's encouraging that a guy like Logano could rebound after Chicago -- he finished around 40th, I think. That's definitely a bonus. It's also cool that Hamlin and Harvick could be 5th and 6th in points and win Martinsville and Texas respectively, allowing them to leapfrog Edwards and Jr. -- two consistent guys that rarely win. So, there are bonuses to this approach. But the all-or-nothing finale is so gimmicky.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am

Also, it's becoming increasingly clear why Hamlin loves this approach:

His best track is Martinsville with four wins. Since Phoenix's repave, he has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in four races. He has two wins at Texas. And he's the defending winner and has two wins at Homestead.

He has 23 career wins -- 8 of those are at the critical final four races.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:57 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Also, it's becoming increasingly clear why Hamlin loves this approach:

His best track is Martinsville with four wins. Since Phoenix's repave, he has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in four races. He has two wins at Texas. And he's the defending winner and has two wins at Homestead.

He has 23 career wins -- 8 of those are at the critical final four races.

Sounds like a good reason to rotate the schedule year on year for the Chase tracks/races. But something we'll likely not see anytime soon with the ISC (France family)/SMI (Bruton Smith) battle.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Move the Daytona 500 to the end of the season.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm

Rylan wrote:Move the Daytona 500 to the end of the season.

I don't really like it being a crapshoot either, although I see what you are saying.

The problem is, there's no way this format works, IMO, with Homestead the final race every single year. How....boring. I would be perfectly fine with a full variety of races in the Chase, and the final race to rotate around those tracks every year. Of course, that presents logistical/ticket-selling issues.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Move the Daytona 500 to the end of the season.

I don't really like it being a crapshoot either, although I see what you are saying.

The problem is, there's no way this format works, IMO, with Homestead the final race every single year. How....boring. I would be perfectly fine with a full variety of races in the Chase, and the final race to rotate around those tracks every year. Of course, that presents logistical/ticket-selling issues.

If you are going to have a super bowl, why not make it your iconic race? I'm not a big NASCAR fan (casual following at best) but this new idea makes it really odd to have 2 "championships" single races. Its just a marketing thing for me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 pm

I'm pretty impressed with 72 year old Morgan Shepherd. You know his equipment is vastly inferior, yet he's still hanging in the draft 7 or 8 laps into this race, which is a feat in itself.

Which leads me to another question. I've always thought that if top-tier drivers with top equipment stayed active in NASCAR into their 50s and 60s, they would get a fair share of wins, and the reason you haven't seen it yet is because they all retire earlier. What say you?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:42 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I'm pretty impressed with 72 year old Morgan Shepherd. You know his equipment is vastly inferior, yet he's still hanging in the draft 7 or 8 laps into this race, which is a feat in itself.

Which leads me to another question. I've always thought that if top-tier drivers with top equipment stayed active in NASCAR into their 50s and 60s, they would get a fair share of wins, and the reason you haven't seen it yet is because they all retire earlier. What say you?

Probably. But the longer they hang around, the less seat time for the up-and-comers. This was why the likes of Dale Jarrett or Dale Earnhardt were in their 30s or almost 30 when getting their first real Cup ride. (Earnhardt was 28 as a rookie, whereas a generation later, Gordon was 21-22 as a rookie, and Kyle Busch and Joey Logano even younger than that)

You figure, Handsome Harry Gant was winning races into his mid-50s. Today's drivers can afford to retire young, a luxury earlier generations just did not have.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am

As for the night races to set the lineup for the daytime 500... don't like it. Would rather have seen those cars had to handle in the daytime. If they are going to be like last night, what is the point of the lengthened race if they're just going to do fuel only?

The return to the old method of lineup setting was supposed to make things easier to understand... instead NASCAR had extreme difficulty because they considered time of caution, not start finish line, for the finish of the 2nd duel. Yet when they wrecked in turn 4 of the 2007 Daytona 500, they let the leaders race back to the line for the Harvick win. Had they thrown caution right away, Mark Martin wins the Daytona 500.

and... based on last night... one has to think that 18-11-20 are favorites for the 500, no? Only the 500 won't be at night so we don't really know.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:32 pm

I will say this - for that short race - killer pit crews got it done for JGR, much more so than the cars themselves. The evolution of the side-draft really coming into play this year, working as major defense to a good run. (Though I don't know why Harvick gave up the bottom at the end of the first duel - though it turns out it wouldn't have mattered, he would have been DQ'd just the same finishing first as second with the post-race inspection fail)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:30 pm

80 degrees and they're saying they're gonna get at least an hour of racing in before they start to worry about clouds, rain, etc.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:27 pm

dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:43 pm

race is back on

@dodint, in the idiots' defense, when they were showing the race they didn't have a rain delay notice in the corner. Every once in awhile they'd scroll the message, but there wasn't a consistent message. There were a few times where I flipped it on and I wasn't sure if they started up again.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 pm

It's funny to me because most of the Tweets were people cheering or jeering at Danica, indicating that they're probably not NASCAR fans. Just idiots using the race to push their own agenda and being too ignorant to know they're not even watching the event they're commenting on. The fact they couldn't recognize that the race on TV was the exact same race as last year supports that claim. I don't think that any actual NASCAR fans (anyone that watched and paid attention last year) would think for more than 30 seconds that the race they were watching was live. I'm a casual fan these days and I recognized it when I flipped to it.

That said, the people that couldn't figure out why Driver XX switched back to Sponsor/Car Number YY since qualifying probably aren't high functioning individuals.
dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dodint on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:13 pm

heh. They nearly cut away from a Danica Coke commercial to see Danica face planting into the wall. Nice timing.
dodint
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR