LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:46 pm

pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:22 am

WOOOOOOOOO!

Dominant car tonight for the 88
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:39 am

It's good that Jr. won. But I really wanted to see Hamlin pull it off. Denny didn't have a spotter for a lot of the race, including the final two laps.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 am

When Hamlin admitted not having [communication with] a spotter, surprised NASCAR wasn't aware of that, as usually that is a safety issue that will lead to a black flag.

Talk about pins and needles the last 20-30 laps or so. But Jr was right about one thing, in his quotes this week (before the race) -- the place to be was out front. He finished 2nd in 2012 and 2013 but led 0 laps and only got 2nd on late lap charges. Same thing in 2010. Far lot more drama than the ending of the 2004 event, where they went green some 80 laps to the finish and had a spread-out field. When that last caution happened (not the last lap one but the one with 7 to go), I thought for sure they were going to be sunk on fuel due extra laps. Props to the safety officials that were able to get the track cleared very quickly, such that the G-W-C was 198-199-200 instead of extra time. (I suppose although it was an actual G-W-C it wasn't a G-W-C as defined in their overtime rules, so had someone wrecked on lap 199 they would have done the first of a possible 3 G-W-Cs)

I missed the first half hour of the media center presser, but from when I turned it on, it lasted at least another half-hour, and wrapped up at 1:38am.

By the schedule quirks - this is the first race Jr was won on Fox since Spring Richmond 2006, as I think both the 2008 Shootout and Duels, as well as the 2012 open, were on SPEED, and Michigan in 2008 and 2012 was on TNT.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 am

Going into the race, restarting as a night race, I thought it would be Denny's race based on speedweeks alone. No one else had been close, except Kenseth, and Kenseth had had issues in the day portion. Even coming down the backstretch on the last lap, I thought Denny had one more trick in him. Credit Jr for being able to keep him at bay. Certainly earned it. Had it been anyone else up front other than the 88, I'd have been pulling for Denny to complete the sweep.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Good on Jr. I couldn't be happier for the guy. He joined Twitter today and posted 3 selfies, in one of which he posed in front of his dad's Daytona statue. The guy was just so authentically ecstatic. I don't think anyone else would have been that happy.

I think Kyle Busch obviously thwarted BK and Logano to help Denny win the Unlimited. I got nervous when I saw Denny needed the 24 to help him, but I don't think Gordon did anything but try to win as well.

Lastly, Denny grossly overstated the absence of a spotter. He lost him for the first 50 laps after the restart. Then he came in loud and clear for most of the last 100 laps. There was occasional static. But he was correct that you couldn't hear a thing in the last 3 laps. It was pure static. The spotter did say "you made all the moves I would have made." Denny loves excuses.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:38 pm

That's awesome Hammer, just saw that last selfie (I took a picture in the same spot five or six years ago). You're right, the unbridled happiness and emotion was really something memorable...that's the most excited I remember anyone being about winning a race in recent years. Very happy I stayed up for it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Damnit, why are all the drivers I used to hate so likeable now?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm

relantel wrote:Damnit, why are all the drivers I used to hate so likeable now?

Because now there's Austin Dillon and the bar has been lowered substantially :)
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:02 pm

I thought maybe that cab number was fake, but the number goes to a Yellow Cab in Charlotte, which would be about a half hour from Hendrick HQ.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:59 am

Pretty boring race yesterday, my wife and her parents were attending and I felt bad for the lack of excitement.

Earnhardt becomes the fifth driver in the modern era to start the season with three Top 2s. Four of those drivers won the championship (although, in fairness, three of them were prior to the Chase, which would make that initial lead in points all the more significant).

Just a blah race overall.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 am

Heartbreaking end but I saw it coming with 25 laps to go. Though I thought Keselowski would catch him & pass him without a fuel bobble. Keselowski owes Jr a couple now. Kes should have ran out at Kansas in June 2011, where Earnhardt & Hamlin stood to finish 1-2, but conjured up 10 extra laps of fuel. Now he gets one here. It's the third time the 88 has finished 2nd to Keselowski since 2009's Talledega.

What does it say about the team though when the team and the fans are disappointed by the luck of the fuel and a 2nd place finish. Had they made it back to the line first, the 88 & 2 would have tied for most-laps led. Instead it was 53-51 Keselowski, and creates a 1 point race at the top, with Johnson in 3rd. Basically a 9 point swing on a little bit of fuel (48-43 Keselowsi instead of 48-44 Earnhardt).

If nothing else, the 88 is racking up the tiebreakers if there are more than 16 drivers with wins in the first 26 races...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:08 am

To be fair on the race itself, finally turned it on with about 30 laps to go. So I can't comment on anything before lap 230.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 pm

unreal almost ending in Bristol. 99 car is about 2.5 seconds ahead, which is an eternity in a short track, and the yellow comes out. Nobody knows why it....looks like it was because of a cloud burst.

Edwards wins.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah the rain was barely holding off. Danica did the most Danica thing ever... Losing control of her car leaving her pit box after a routine stop and barreling into Clint Bowyer, who was in his pit receiving service.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:24 pm

The lights malfunctioned. Crazy. That's why the finale in Homestead is dumb, among other reasons.

The race was good, but Fox's coverage is becoming really, really bad. Commercials, commercials, commercials. Then, they don't cover the action at all. There are mid-race reports. In-race reports. And then they show insufferable angles so frequently. Like all sports, just give us an angle where we can see a lot of racing. It shouldn't be hard at a place like Bristol.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm

I think we would have been better off if they had simply postponed the race. March at night is not ideal.

(Who remembers they used to run Richmond in February? Now it's Daytona-West-West-Bristol-West though in recent past Bristol was 5th race not 4th. The last couple years they have had Daytona start a week later than traditional, so it's jammed up the rest of the schedule.

Hello, NASCAR... time for some North Wilkesboro or Nashville Fairgrounds. Add one of those to the Chase. NF last hosted Cup in 1984, and Busch in 2000 I think, but has held weekly racing through last year. North Wilkesboro was in mothballs for 10 years, and was returned to some lower level racing but could not secure a Truck date and it's comeback faltered and they shut down again. At least the track is still there. Can't say the same for Manassas's Old Dominion Speedway, which closed after 2012 and over 60 years of operation, and the only thing left is the pavement. Walls, grandstands, etc., all gone. Just the 3/8 mile pavement with weeds growing in it. Denny Hamlin used to race there, probably the most famous name since we'd been going. We had a national champ from ODS, Mark McFarland, who got a shot in the Busch series with JRM in the Navy 88 car before Keselowski, but nothing came of that. Richard Petty, Junior Johnson and Ned Jarrett all had cup wins at ODS in the 50s-60s. They raced national series late model sportsman (what became the Busch series in 1982) until 1980. I hadn't even realized we hadn't heard the weekend rumble of engines there in 2013, and did not know it had closed until last month.

Moral of the story - don't take your local short track for granted. Even with good attendance and racing, it can be gone in an instant.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Welcome to the ChampTruck World Series! ! ChampTruck is North America's home for REAL, AFFORDABLE, COMPETITIVE big-rig truck road racing. We're talking real racing, real tracks and real big trucks! We're talking six-wheel drifts and lots of gear-jammin' action! And we're proud to say that ChampTruck is open and available to anyone, without prior racing experience!

So, why do we do this and who is this series for?

This series is for Chumps like you - guys and gals that love trucks! Chumps that are diesel gear-heads who know that real transmissions have more than five or six gears. It's a series for people who love driving and driving fast. It's for Chumps that have that competitive streak running through them... a streak that's larger than a Freightliner!

http://www.champtruck.us.com/about.php
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DMcGrew on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm

How about the last 25 or so laps of that NNS race... :shock: :shock: :shock:
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CBear3 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Please tell me that's Chumpcar's April fools day joke.
Never run Chump, but have done a some Lemons races.

In other news, the last 40 laps or so of the NW race at Fontucky was pretty fun to watch. If the top three were grinning from ear to ear the last dozen laps they don't have a heart.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 pm

Saw the ending on the overnight reair on ESPN2. Though those cut short the postrace, only showed the winner interview. Didn't realize how close Harvick and Busch were to Larson.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:17 pm

This is why I can't get into NASCAR. These manufactured finishes. With 2 laps to go and Boyer below the line working back towards the pits, just let it go. Let these crew chiefs live with their earlier choices. So lame.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 am

dodint wrote:This is why I can't get into NASCAR. These manufactured finishes. With 2 laps to go and Boyer below the line working back towards the pits, just let it go. Let these crew chiefs live with their earlier choices. So lame.

That was rough. All the others that had issues were no yellow.

As a race though, worst tire race since the Brickyard race a few years back where the longest green flag run was 11 laps or so. So many good cars blew tires... 4, 88, 2, 16, 99... and some not so good ones too. Some recovered better than others. Seemed like the attrition was going to net the 88 a top 10, but for hitting the wall on lap 40 or thereabouts, hard to complain about a 12th place finish.

Just kind of annoyed at the 40. Would loved to have seen it shape up where the race off pit road was the restart order. Teams held back on purpose to get on the outside lane for the restart only to be stuck on the inside thanks the 40. And the 40 then dropped like a rock and finished 25th out of 27 cars on the lead lap.

Wonder if anyone has compiled a list of who was leading at the scheduled distance on these Green-White-Checker situations, that didn't end up winning. Gotta be a fair number of them. What sucks is had it not been a bad tire day, the field would have stayed out, and more likely one of the stronger cars all day would have won.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm

The only thing I took away from yesterday is that those tires aren't built for the type of camber/grip that these cars are capable of pulling on a bumpy, beat up track.

I called this issue during the NNS race on Saturday when Kyle Busch was divebombing his car into the apex of the corner and letting it walk up the track to the outside line towards the end of the race. You're carrying max momentum through a corner and running your car on 1/4 of the tire in and out of the corner.

NASCAR basically went hands off this year and left a lot on the table for crews as far as suspension is concerned. They're trying to muscle these cars through the turn that is taking (IMO) a bad GY product and somehow making it worse.

At least the tires blew somewhat gracefully yesterday. We've got that going for us. Otherwise, a good race was ruined by aggressive set-ups that absolutely shredded GY's product. The tires were "dusting" yesterday more than they were actually laying real pasty rubber on those awful paving grooves in Fontana.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR