LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

Make 'em race on Bias-Ply again. That'll solve everything. (by throwing away everyone's book, since Radials took over for Bias-Ply around the time Jeff Gordon started racing in Cup, 20+ years ago)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Relantel, why does it have to be a monopoly? Why can't Hoosier step in and provide a product as well?
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CBear3 on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:31 pm

CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Jesse wrote:Relantel, why does it have to be a monopoly? Why can't Hoosier step in and provide a product as well?

It doesn't have to be. 20 years ago Hoosier was involved, and a number of teams raced on Hoosier tires. Hoosier is heavily involved at other levels of stock car racing (ARCA comes to mind but that could be mistaken memory), but I think they pulled out when it wasn't worth the money to be involved. Ryan McGee had an EPSN Magazine article that touched on it back after Toyota's first Cup win (which was in 2008 - the archive is from February 2009):

http://web.archive.org/web/200902140620 ... id=3287720
The last time we had a tire war in NASCAR was in 1994, when Hoosier recruited a handful of teams to compete with established giant Goodyear. The teams that made the jump were rewarded with a bunch of wins, and the entire sport got faster as the two competitors rolled out softer and softer compounds in an effort to make their cars faster.
In 1994 Hoosier won a dozen poles and driver-owner Geoff Bodine won four races. But at the end of the season, Hoosier withdrew for financial reasons and the teams who'd jumped ship in '94 were forced to come crawling back to Goodyear.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:53 pm

heh. You had the option of running Hoosier in NASCAR Racing by Papyrus for MS-DOS.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 am

RIP to the First Lady of NASCAR, Lynda Petty

https://twitter.com/NascarMemories/status/448554720874233856
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:36 am

The Petty's loss (Very young at age 72) overshadowing much of everything else this week.

I.e. what's up with Denny Hamlin. And was him sitting out the race his call, JGR's call, or NASCAR's call? Not even so much as a press release from NASCAR. Denny's own statement seemed to indicate it was NASCAR's doing. Would be lousy to run Martinsville without him, as he could certainly be a potential winner there.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CBear3 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 am

relantel wrote:The Petty's loss (Very young at age 72) overshadowing much of everything else this week.

I.e. what's up with Denny Hamlin. And was him sitting out the race his call, JGR's call, or NASCAR's call? Not even so much as a press release from NASCAR. Denny's own statement seemed to indicate it was NASCAR's doing. Would be lousy to run Martinsville without him, as he could certainly be a potential winner there.

I think we should definitely postpone it until Denny can participate.

Spoiler:
I know what you meant, but had to give you grief.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:00 pm

It's all good. ;)

And yes, I realize he missed last spring's Martinsville as well due the Fontana crash...

It might still be a good race, but just a little bit harder/more of an accomplishment for everyone else if Hamlin is in the race. Think of it like it was back before the modern era (defined as 1972 to present), and not all cup drivers were at every race, as some were run on the same night, etc. It meant more if you beat Lee Petty, or Junior Johnson or Ned Jarrett than it did if they weren't in the race. 1971 was the last year a number of smaller short tracks were on the schedule. Most still have some form of racing but some others are just gone.

Of course, even well into the modern era, at least to the end of North Wilkesboro in 1996, the short track fields were limited to 36 cars, and some years in the 70s had just 30 at Martinsville. Nashville Fairgrounds never made it to the days of 36 car fields. Looks like based on Martinsville that 1997 was first year of the expanded full size fields on the short tracks.

(So easy to get sidetracked...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:31 pm

So, Jr. impliedly accused Hamlin of foul play in not racing at Fontana to dodge a drug test? Hamlin gave an impassioned defense today.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Whoa, he did?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:15 pm

The two articles are below. Jr. "raised questions" around why NASCAR and JGR weren't more forthcoming with information regarding the "unusual" or "odd" decision to pull Denny right before the race, which "never happened before."

Hamlin responded passionately today making a point to say "I don't drink. I don't do drugs," why would anyone accuse me of doing so?!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... e/7022155/

www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/20 ... e/7022155/

Hamlin's take on Jr.'s comments:

"My health is my business," Hamlin said after turning the fastest lap in practice at Martinsville Speedway. "But what if it was cancer or a tumor? I don't have to tell anyone that. It's my business.

People who think negatively of me or think we sidestepped some kind of drug test or something, it's ridiculous. I'm in one of the top three cars in NASCAR. I'd have to be an absolute moron — moron! — to risk that.

"I have a daughter I've got to provide for for a really long time. And for people to question who I am inside and outside of the race car, I've never done anything to even put that in question."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. called Tuesday for clarification of the timeframe because he said the perception was "bad for NASCAR and bad for Denny" in the absence of information."I go to Bobcats games, I go out and I hang out with friends in public," Hamlin said. "I don't stay tucked in my motorhome. I don't stay tucked into my house. It's not what I like to do. So because I'm out there a little bit more, people think I go out and I party?

"I don't drink at all hardly — ever. I've never done drugs — ever. I'm as clean as they come. I don't know why people question who I am outside the racetrack, because I worked too hard to get here, for one, to throw it all away. And if anyone has any questions about that, they can ask me directly … because I'll tell you. But it bothers me that my character is questioned. And people think there's some kind of conspiracy, because, like I said, I've worked too hard to get here and it's what I've wanted to do since I was 5 years old. There's not one thing in the world I would do to switch positions with anyone in the world, because I just feel that lucky.

"I'm done justifying and defending myself on those things. I'm not going to let those people drag me down. It's just frustrating. Just because I'm out there a little bit more in the public, that bugs me because I'm a human being. I like doing fun things. If people think I have to go out and drink to have fun, they're wrong and they haven't hung out with me, because I don't. It just bothers me, because there's people that like to make rumors. And of course, within our NASCAR community, rumors become truth when enough people say it. So I'm done."

Hamlin said he and the team waited until medical testing was completed before providing details.

"I don't want to be speaking out of line and not knowing exactly what I'm talking about until I knew exactly what the problem was," he said. "We didn't know that until Wednesday, when I finally got all clear and they ran all the tests again to make sure we were 100%.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 pm

dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:12 pm

I think Jr was more concerned about NASCAR setting a precedent for taking a driver out of a seat so near to start time of a race. NASCAR's silence didn't help any.

Martinsville was nuts. Was glad to see Denny back, but for as much of a factor as I thought JGR would be, they really weren't. It was the Jimmie Johnson show until Kurt stole the show at the end. Record lead changes. But no real long green flag runs. Wanted to see if the long setup the 88 was working would come into play, but the runs just didn't last that long. He kept coming back up through the pack but he'd lose so much on the restarts he really didn't make that much actual progress. Third not bad for the way qualifying worked though.

We were on the road for most of the race, and only saw the last 40 laps or so on TV. Heard about the Keselowski/Kurt incident but didn't see it. Sets up some bad blood perfect for Texas this week.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:13 pm

So many cars dropped 10 spots in a few laps the way the tires were wearing. Twice, I recall Denny being P6-8 before a commercial and P15-20 after. Nuts.

The 48 was the class of the field. The 41 and 22 seemed like the only two that were consistently good. By the way, the 22 has easily been a top 5 car this year, finishes notwithstanding.

Keselowski comes off as a complete baby on the incident with Kurt. Kurt was on the outside of pit road. Keselowski was leaving his pit box when contact with the 5 forced him into the side of Kurt's car. That's it. Kes claims that he wanted Kurt to let up to minimize damage, but Kes hit Kurt's door. It's not like Kurt ran him over. What other choice did he have? And if Kurt could have let him, I'm sure he would have. There were no spots to gain or lose on pit road in the first 50 laps! Kes was blatantly trying to cause Kurt's tires to go down with the contact. Man, he's such a baby. For all the crap Kurt gets, Kes is a huge whiner. Kudos to Kurt for not biting at ESPN and others' bait after the race. He had every right to be upset, but he kept focus on the win and Haas.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:43 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:So many cars dropped 10 spots in a few laps the way the tires were wearing. Twice, I recall Denny being P6-8 before a commercial and P15-20 after. Nuts.

Wasn't as bad in the Cup race up front, but in the truck race the outside restarter never faired well. And like Bristol, the luck of being on the outside lane on a restart was killer.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I respect Kyle Busch but he makes the Nationwide Series unwatchable. Starts like 40th, and 33 green flag laps later he is 2nd. What is the point of competing?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 pm

I guess I will eat my words....wow, what an awesome, awesome race tonight. Chase Elliott is a serious talent that is going places. What a great win.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 pm

There might have been 50 people at that race
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:10 am

What a change the late yellow made on the race. That and 10 laps of yellow made for a short run, where the 9 excelled. The 5 and 88 were long run cars, as was the 54 and Larson.

I kind of knew if the 88 didn't get out of the pits first they wouldn't win. Of course, I figured they wouldn't win on account of short run after that caution ran so long. But I was cursing that yellow.

Very cool to see someone eclipse Logano's old record. And he's young enough he's back in High School on Monday!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 pm

dodint wrote:Image

there's a face I completely forgot about until now. I knew he was popped for meth and was thrown out of NASCAR, but I had no idea how far downhill things went.

A million dollar mansion once owned by former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield will be burned to the ground this weekend.

Mayfield was evicted from the property last year after financial troubles stemming from a failed drug test in 2009 that banned him from racing.

Channel 9 reporter Dave Faherty was the only reporter allowed in the house that at one time was valued at $1.8 million.

The 12,000-square-foot house isn't worth that anymore and by Saturday afternoon, much of it will be gone.

Everything in the seven-bedroom, seven-bath house is stripped down from the windows to the wiring.

http://www.wsoctv.com/videos/news/firef ... ay/vCLkC3/

CATAWBA COUNTY, N.C. — Former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield was convicted of possessing stolen goods on Monday inside a Catawba County courthouse..

Mayfield was charged with two counts of possession of stolen goods and possession of drug paraphernalia in 2011.

Mayfield was sentenced to a 45-day suspended sentence and was placed on unsupervised probation for 18 months.

He was also ordered to pay $88,124.21 in restitution to the victims.

Firefighters in Catawba County burned Mayfield's former $2 million mansion three weeks ago.

Mayfield sent a Tweet Thursday saying, "If I would've known about a "Burn a house down tax break" I would've burned them all down, #updateyourtaxbreak."

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/j ... ods/ncdjq/
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Rain. Again... looks like it'll be under the lights tonight.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:11 pm

And... nope. Postponed until tomorrow. Darn. Will be on FOX at Noon.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:17 pm

PGA played in the rain in Texas today. Just sayin. :pop:
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:43 am

if nothing else, ought to be streamed on the PRN site (http://www.goprn.com/)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR