LGP NASCAR Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP NASCAR Thread

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:57 pm

wow. Fire on the 88. 48 took damage. 4 blows an engine. All before the competition caution.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:18 pm

Gordon leading at halfway. Only 14 on the lead lap and a couple of green flag cycles.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Oh my. Yellow comes out for debris a couple feet before Logano takes the white. And now they all pit before a green-white-checker. Oh my. It's like California all over again.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Just heard Allmendinger ripping on that "rich little **** Dillon" on the radio. So good
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Just heard Allmendinger ripping on that "rich little **** Dillon" on the radio. So good

From the csb files, he actually ate dinner at the next table over from us on Thursday night. His wife was there too. (I like 10 minutes from Darlington, and Allmendinger was here signing autographs at Wal-mart :lol: )
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby relantel on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Richmond, crazy finish. Logano steals one as Kenseth, Keselowski and Gordon forget about him. The 88, second on the final restart with a very good long run car, just didn't have it in the short run and fell back to 7th. Keselowski causes post-race wreck among a number of cars in trying to show his displeasure with the 20.

And tires almost got Kyle Busch a win from being mired around 15th down the stretch, thanks fresh tires on a final restart, and finishes 3rd.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri May 02, 2014 10:57 am

dodint wrote:Not sure if this is cool or not, so if it isn't let me know and I'll delete it.

I haven't been to a NASCAR race since about 1995. I haven't followed the sport at all since 2000 or so, but having lived in NC and being an auto racing fan (Tudor, F1, Continental, Indy(sorta)) it seemed kind of weird that we haven't gone to a NASCAR event yet since my wife and I were both fans growing up. We decided to buy tickets to the Coca-Cola 600 to cross that off the bucket list. We thought she'd be clear of her cancer treatment by Memorial Day and that it would be a fun easy weekend trip. But now her treatment is dragging out until June 12 and we just can't swing it.

I threw the tickets on StubHub, but if someone here wanted to go I'd transfer them to you (Ticketmaster) at face value. They're piggyback seats, GMG Rows 23-24, Seat 30. $270 for the set. Again, they'll probably sell on SH but if someone wanted an at-cost ticket instead of paying for the SH up-charge these are available until further notice. If this bothers anyone I'm happy to take it down.

Thanks.

Still have these. Asking $93 (Nedved, teehee) on StubHub, so $80 each if anyone here wants them.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CBear3 on Fri May 02, 2014 11:18 am

I'd love to, but unless Kurt lets me on his plane I'm out.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun May 04, 2014 2:56 pm

The Dogecoin car, currently 30th with 85 laps to go. #TalleDOGEa
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun May 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Banner effort from Keselowski today
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun May 04, 2014 5:01 pm

Sure looked like they were wrecking before Hamlin took the white. Either throw the damn yellow right away (even if it was after the white) or make them race back to the flag. I feel cheated of a good finish there.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Denny!!!!

Me during the last lap: "No Caution, No Caution!!!" ::white flag:: "Throw the caution, throw the f'n caution, everyone wrecked, there's debris everywhere." ::Caution:: "WOOOO!"

Keselowski is such a *****. It's hard to make enemies with Kenseth and Gordon, yet he has managed. He goes super aggressive and wrecks himself. Then, six laps down, he's in the front of the pack and wrecks everyone. Last week, he gets so sad that Kenseth blocks him on the final run that he damages the car then brake checks Kenseth on the cool down lap, causing damages to Kenseth and Jr. The guy needs to shut up and race.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:07 pm

relantel wrote:Sure looked like they were wrecking before Hamlin took the white. Either throw the damn yellow right away (even if it was after the white) or make them race back to the flag. I feel cheated of a good finish there.

As my last post shows, it worked out well for me. They've traditionally tried to let them wreck behind the leaders and let them finish under green. That looked like the plan. Denny took the white. And then there was just too much debris to allow a finish under green. An entire bumper laid on the start-finish line.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun May 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah Keselowski is a dbag
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Hammer, I hear ya. I don't have a problem with the yellow. But the debris was there while the field was in turn 1. Yet they waited until the end of the backstretch for the caution.

As for Keselowski, same thing happened to Jimmie Johnson. Only difference was Jimmie was on the lead lap. Keselowski only had himself to blame for being 6 laps down at the time - he wasn't clear and cut across the nose of Patrick's machine. McMurray, also down 6 laps at one point due the same incident, got all the way back to 1 lap down by the end of the race.

... Odds are, had that been Kyle Busch instead of Keselowski, 76% chance that Kyle saves the car. He wrecks and saves better than anyone out there right now.

In other news...
Kyle Busch caught speeding again last week... but this time only 60 in a 45. (not his 128 in a 45 he had three years ago)

Nationwide Insurance to sponsor the 88 for 12-13 races a season for 2015-2017. I guess given he already does commercials for them this shouldn't be much of a surprise.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

And Camping World extends their sponsorship agreement for the Truck series for another 7 years through 2022. Stability in that series a good thing. Now they just need to add some races back in, they've been under 25 the last two years and go far too long in between races, having run just Daytona and Martinsville so far.

(I'm biased but the Trucks need to go back to Rockingham, and would be nice if they could get one of South Boston, Myrtle Beach, Pikes Peak, or IRP back on the schedule. I'd love for North Wilkesboro but that ain't going to happen anytime soon. Hickory or Greenville-Pickens would be nice too, but not likely on improvements.

I wonder if Dominion Raceway is going to try for a truck date when they open next year. They are the former promoters from Old Dominion Speedway, which was in Manassas from 1952-2012. They're building a 4/10 mile speedway at Thornburg, VA, about 10 miles south of Fredericksburg. South Boston (where the Hamlin special event was this year) is the same length. Maybe CWTS is too big of a jump for them... I think I'd go if they had an K&N East series race or a Modified tour event.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Mon May 05, 2014 2:42 pm

So, I'm dumb, and when we decided not to go to the Coca-Cola 600 a few months ago it was because of her old treatment plan and our rescheduled vacation. We forgot that her plan changed so we can actually go now. Doh. So, there is like a 90% chance I'm going anyway. It's just too bad I cancelled my hotel reservation because it was right near the track and would've totally been an awesome room.

*edit*

hah, the room fell through the cracks. I never cancelled it. Incompetency rules.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Wed May 07, 2014 9:20 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 am

Kansas under the lights this week. Then All star weekend at Charlotte.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 am

TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 am

Great examples Hammer. I loathe Kyle Busch the person but it is hard to deny his racing ability. The types of saves he makes are what you might expect from Drivers who cut their teeth on the early days of NASCAR, when dirt was common. Given that he was born after all of those guys had long retired, and after the King won his last race, and was probably too young to remember the last one Bobby Allison managed... he has a skill that is lacking in most of the rest of the modern Sprint Cup field.

It would be nice if they stopped equating Truck and NW wins to Cup though, by calling them all National series, as they weren't always all national series. The truck series is 20 years old this year (1995 first season). The Nationwide in its current recordkeeping dates back to 1982 (though its champions list goes back to the 50's even on official NASCAR sites), as they don't count all the touring late model sportsman events from 1981 and earlier. Think all of the Permatex 300 support races for the Daytona 500 as an example here. There are sites out there where researches share what results they have uncovered, trying to reconstruct an all-time wins list. As it is probably certain that someone has more wins than Kyle Busch when the entirety of the series history is included.

Consider it like NASCAR's demarcation of the "Modern Era" in Cup - defined as 1972 when the schedule was shortened. NASCAR kept Modern Era stats alongside total stats. Until Jeff Gordon passed him, Darrell Waltrip was the modern era wins leader, as his first win was in 1972 and thus all in the new era. So now that honor is Jeff Gordon's. A similar demarcation would be nice for the Nationwide/Busch/Busch Grand National/Budweiser Late Model Sportsman/Late Model Sportsman/etc. Leave the current 1982-current stats as that series' modern era.

Much of the life of the Busch series pre 2000 was the same rules as the Winston West series, i.e. they were the Grand national (a term that once was applied to early Winston cup). Busch North (today's K&N East series) was the same. At some point the Busch was elevated, and the Winston West series, once the equal of Cup cars, was no longer equal to Busch specs but now Busch North/K&N East. And unfortunately, with those changes, there were no changes in recordkeeping. The West series was still the west series, but long gone were the combo races of Winston Cup and Winston West. And gone were the combo races of Busch/Busch North. The only combo races recently has been the combo West/East race at Iowa Speedway.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun May 11, 2014 9:01 am

I fell asleep before the end last night, completely missed it. And really don't remember much beyond the 2nd yellow flag.

Did see that Gordon beat Harvick in the pits on twitter, by about the same as the margin. And that Danica finished 7th, her best finish yet.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun May 11, 2014 9:05 am

Very happy for Jeff. Impressive run by the 10, they were solid in qualifying too.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon May 12, 2014 11:40 am

Looking over NASCAR's pdf scoresheet, see Gordon and Earnhardt each led 9 laps, to Harvick's 119. Guess it is all about the right 9 laps. Kasey Kahne finally got a top 5. Kurt Busch has become Kurt Busch again and sits 28th in the points, albeit with a 52 point cushion over 31st (and missing the Chase - as a driver has to be in the top 30 for the win & in to work). Harvick, once 25th in the points, has rebounded to 15th, some 92 markers behind Gordon. Kurt is 91 points behind Harvick, so safe to say that Harvick is in a very safe spot right now.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon May 12, 2014 12:21 pm

relantel wrote:I fell asleep.

Was it a newly paved 1.5 mile track?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR