Good iPhone Apps

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Good iPhone Apps

Postby viva la ben on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:49 am

I've run into way more cheaters on SWF than WWF. I've played against three people in the last day who barely topped 100 point the first two rounds, then score 800+ points on the last round.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MelicharSux on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:42 am

viva la ben wrote:I've run into way more cheaters on SWF than WWF. I've played against three people in the last day who barely topped 100 point the first two rounds, then score 800+ points on the last round.

How is it possible to cheat in SWF?
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:56 am

Screen cap and exit your game then go to a cheating website and plug in your letters and it will give you all possible words. Then resume and cheat.

I wish they made it so if you exit the app mid game it would forfeit.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MelicharSux on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 am

viva la ben wrote:Screen cap and exit your game then go to a cheating website and plug in your letters and it will give you all possible words. Then resume and cheat.

I wish they made it so if you exit the app mid game it would forfeit.

That is dumb. So it's basically the same as the Words cheat. :face:
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Juice on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 am

comatose wrote:MailEnhancer if you're jailbroken. Adds cool stuff like an "Unread" filter, inbox coloring, quiet times so you don't receive e-mails when you're asleep, etc. Stuff that Apple should have already included in the Mail app to begin with.

thank you... grabbed it yesterday
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:00 pm

The only people I play words with friends with are the one who I know don't use cheat sites.

Nothing like having a friend complain about letters and then busting out a 65 point word.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

My record for Words with Friends is 81 points and 75 points for 1 word. My brother had 101 points for a word. Not cheating. Just have to hit up triple word and maybe triple letter too.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:50 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:My record for Words with Friends is 81 points and 75 points for 1 word. My brother had 101 points for a word. Not cheating. Just have to hit up triple word and maybe triple letter too.

I had a ridiculous word (worth insane amount of points once)... forget how much. I think I got a 10 pointer in the tripple letter / continued into the triple word, so yea lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby beerman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:My record for Words with Friends is 81 points and 75 points for 1 word. My brother had 101 points for a word. Not cheating. Just have to hit up triple word and maybe triple letter too.

I had around 120 once I can't even remember what the word was but it started with a J on a triple letter and also was a triple word. It was a pretty simple word but those 2 things gives you 90 for the J alone.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:59 pm

A great day to day life app. Wunderlist. I ruve it with a passion.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:A great day to day life app. Wunderlist. I ruve it with a passion.

your body is a wunderlist.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:07 pm

canaan wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:A great day to day life app. Wunderlist. I ruve it with a passion.

your body is a wunderlist.

Your face.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Not exactly iPhone App related but I need some advice from you all.

I've decided to go back into the workforce and have accepted a job with a consulting firm. Part of the compensation package is that the firm will pick up my cell phone expenses.

I'm expecting to be on the road up to 80% of the time. Since I'll be spending so much time in airports, in hotels, on airport shuttles, etc... I've decided I need an unlimited data plan. (I'm thinking that I'll be using the "hot spot" feature to provide internet connectivity for my laptop in those situations as well. I also expect to be using the phone for a lot of business calls. I've decided to purchase an iPhone 4s 64GB.

Does ATT drop as many calls as I've heard? I'd hate to have to keep reconnecting to business clients because of dropped calls (that would be frustrating). Should I go Verizon? They're quoting me $180 a month for unlimited data, voice and text.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for me? TIA.

Edited: to reflect proper iPhone model number.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby viva la ben on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:38 pm

What is this iPhone 5?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:58 pm

I haven't had trouble with AT&T, but I think it depends on location.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Juice on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Yeah I was thinking of going with the iPhone 6. Any advice guys?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:03 pm

beerman wrote:

I had around 120 once I can't even remember what the word was but it started with a J on a triple letter and also was a triple word. It was a pretty simple word but those 2 things gives you 90 for the J alone.

Best I ever played was jazz using TL and TW, that's 153. Most times that doesn't happen though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 pm

viva la ben wrote:What is this iPhone 5?

Juice wrote:Yeah I was thinking of going with the iPhone 6. Any advice guys?

A typo obviously. Thanks for the great advice though, much appreciated. You two always have great intelligent posts, Thanks for sharing.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Juice on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:05 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
viva la ben wrote:What is this iPhone 5?

Juice wrote:Yeah I was thinking of going with the iPhone 6. Any advice guys?

A typo obviously. Thanks for the great advice though, much appreciated. You two always have great intelligent posts, Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Just let me know if you need any tablet advice, I've got the inside scoop on the 256GB iPad7, it's gonna be SICK. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 am

MWB wrote:I haven't had trouble with AT&T, but I think it depends on location.

This

Different carriers are better in different areas... I forget which service my gf had, but it worked great in Pittsburgh and was absolutely horrible in DC

So talk to people who are around you, but the only problem would be you're traveling lol (I think in general Verizon is usually pretty good in most areas)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:24 am

IanMoran wrote:

This

Different carriers are better in different areas... I forget which service my gf had, but it worked great in Pittsburgh and was absolutely horrible in DC

So talk to people who are around you, but the only problem would be you're traveling lol (I think in general Verizon is usually pretty good in most areas)

Thanks Ian.

For those of you that use the "data plan" portion a lot, do you find yourself exceeding 5GB a month?

I'm probably going to use the "Hot Spot" feature to send emails and update documents from airports and other places where I don't have access to "Free Internet". I'm just trying to get a handle on how much data a heavy iPhone user can expect to go through in a month.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 am

I don't have high speed at home and I use 4-5 GB a month (between on the go and tethering).
I would expect your road use to be a little higher than that, considering that I sometimes connect to one of open networks floating through my house.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:42 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

This

Thanks Ian.

For those of you that use the "data plan" portion a lot, do you find yourself exceeding 5GB a month?

I'm probably going to use the "Hot Spot" feature to send emails and update documents from airports and other places where I don't have access to "Free Internet". I'm just trying to get a handle on how much data a heavy iPhone user can expect to go through in a month.

You'll probably go through 5GB pretty quickly between heavy work usage through the hot spot and just general surfing. You might even try Sprint because they have actual unlimited data, I know I haven't and my fiancee hasn't had any issues with Sprint coverage or data wise.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Just downloaded iTunes U for my iPad.

A-frickin'-mazing.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Does ATT drop as many calls as I've heard? I'd hate to have to keep reconnecting to business clients because of dropped calls (that would be frustrating). Should I go Verizon? They're quoting me $180 a month for unlimited data, voice and text.

Get a 4G Android phone w VZN. AT&T's voice network is terrible; I work with a bunch of iPhone users and they can't get a signal in our office if they are more than about 10 feet from an exterior wall. I've heard no good stories coming from users in NYC and San Francisco as well.

Who is quoting you $180/mo? Does that include the wifi hotspot card? We have unlimted data and texting and 700 mins per phone on two numbers and our combined bill is only like $150.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:18 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Just downloaded iTunes U for my iPad.

A-frickin'-mazing.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Does ATT drop as many calls as I've heard? I'd hate to have to keep reconnecting to business clients because of dropped calls (that would be frustrating). Should I go Verizon? They're quoting me $180 a month for unlimited data, voice and text.

Get a 4G Android phone w VZN. AT&T's voice network is terrible; I work with a bunch of iPhone users and they can't get a signal in our office if they are more than about 10 feet from an exterior wall. I've heard no good stories coming from users in NYC and San Francisco as well.

Who is quoting you $180/mo? Does that include the wifi hotspot card? We have unlimted data and texting and 700 mins per phone on two numbers and our combined bill is only like $150.

Yeah... Thanks for the advice!

It was the premium Verizon plan... 12G data, Hotspot and unlimited text. I ended up not going that route though.

I ended up going down there this morning and worked with a pretty good sales rep who got me into a decent plan.

Because the iPhone doesn't support 4G and the tethering functionality is important to me, he sold me a Samsung Galaxy Android tablet w/ a 4G plan and an iPhone 4s 64GB without the hotspot functionality.

I ended up paying about $429 upfront for the Samsung that I didn't plan on, but the monthly reoccurring cost is around $129 for everything so I'm pretty happy.

Now the problem is that I'm going to be carrying around an iPad, Laptop, Galaxy and a Laptop when I'm travelling. Seems excessive. Good thing all of the devices (except the Laptop) are fairly small and lightweight.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR