Audiophile thread - All about sound

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Audiophile thread - All about sound

Postby PghSkins on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm

A few months back, picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable so I can play my burgeoning record collection.

Sounds incredible compared to the cheapo model I replaced. Love it.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

I have a turntable stereo system from 1968 that still works and it sounds fantastic. I did have to replace the speaker wire and, of course, the needle. Other than that it's all original. There is an actual record store in town that I frequent. I love vinyl.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:23 pm

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one of these from the early 80s:

All the Japanese electronics companies made a model or two like this, Sony seems to have made the most. The idea being that you could stack it along with your amp, equilizer, tape decks, etc. I like the look of the slide out platter so much more, and it would be easier to place with my equipment.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:25 pm

upgraded my receiver recently after my Onkyo failed - if you are ever in the market for a receiver NEVER buy an Onkyo I learned the hard way. got an awesome deal on this

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/homethe ... t/avrx4000

absolutely loving this thing.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm

I've wanted to replace my receiver for 4+ years, as it doesn't have HDMI and I'm stuck feeding it legacy codecs.

The idea of separates always scared me, but now I'm glad I waited and I think I'm going to do a pre/pro + amp set up. Any receiver from the last few years was made obsolete with the introduction of Dolby Atmos, and I'm sure DTS is cooking up a object oriented sound codec that they will release to homes very soon.

I really like this idea alot, and I could probably make it work given that my only source devices are a PC and an Xbox 360. But it is definitely limiting http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/whats- ... essor.html http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/home-t ... ith-a-htpc
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm

isnt onkyo widley regarding as one of the best AVRs?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm

knives of ice wrote:upgraded my receiver recently after my Onkyo failed - if you are ever in the market for a receiver NEVER buy an Onkyo I learned the hard way. got an awesome deal on this

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/homethe ... t/avrx4000

absolutely loving this thing.

wow, that denon is boss. Nice work!
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Onkyo makes some nice stuff but they definitely aren't one of tthe best. Id put them in a class with most stuff from Yamaha, entry level Pioneer, top end Sony. Denon, Marantz, Integra would all be a slight step up from all but the most expensive Onkyo models. Then you have players like McIntosh and Datasat who make ridiculously expensive gear.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one of these from the early 80s:

All the Japanese electronics companies made a model or two like this, Sony seems to have made the most. The idea being that you could stack it along with your amp, equilizer, tape decks, etc. I like the look of the slide out platter so much more, and it would be easier to place with my equipment.

That's pretty swank, never saw one of those.

I'm always a little wary of things that seem to have a lot of moving parts, though. Guarantee I'd jam the sliders somehow within a few months.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 pm

PghSkins wrote:A few months back, picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable so I can play my burgeoning record collection.

Yeah, a good cartridge goes a long way. I bought this:

a number of years ago to replace a 20 some year-old dual that I'd had since highschool. I do miss the auto features and it is annoying to to have to take off the platter to change speeds.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I've been keeping my eyes peeled for one of these from the early 80s:

Spoiler:

Is that a linear tracking turntable? If so, those are blasphemous.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:isnt onkyo widley regarding as one of the best AVRs?

their top end receivers get amazing reviews and they have so many features for the price that they are highly tempting to buy. however, they have a problem with their HDMI boards that still hasnt' been fixed in that they fail after about a year or so in in many cases. the high end onkyo receivers are especially popular on AVS forums but so many have had this problem that the buyer should beware. I had this problem and even after sending it in under warranty it still wasn't fixed and we're talking about a receiver that retailed for around a grand. Anyways, because Amazon is so awesome they actually refunded me. That being said I have a dedicated home theater/projector setup so without a receiver my room is unusable and it took 6 weeks to get my receiver back from Onkyo only to have it still not be fixed and the amount of time it takes to hook up all the components and set everything up on top of that. well, i'm glad i have the Denon now and its so so so much better.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Factorial wrote:
Is that a linear tracking turntable? If so, those are blasphemous.

Some were, not all.

I thought that was a good thing? Thats a common feature on mega expensive stuff by Bang and Olufsen.

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Factorial wrote:
PghSkins wrote:A few months back, picked up a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable so I can play my burgeoning record collection.

Yeah, a good cartridge goes a long way. I bought this:

a number of years ago to replace a 20 some year-old dual that I'd had since highschool. I do miss the auto features and it is annoying to to have to take off the platter to change speeds.

Nice!

Yeah, more than once when "the boss" has called me to go do something I've left it playing and come back hours later with the arm still on the runout. Shouldn't cause any significant wear though I guess.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:27 pm

I ended up buying this on Sunday:

http://store.sony.com/bluetooth-wireles ... ocks%20%20

Its slightly larger than the Pills and Jambox's of the world, but not by much and it sounds much better than those little drivers. Unfortunately it does run on C batteries, but I have some Rayovac rechargeables.

Kmart's price was $135, and for some reason they gave me $115 worth of Shop Your Way rewards points. Having PLENTY of experience with Sears I knew this had to be a mistake, so I hurried up and spent the points on the household stuff I buy every month or two before they noticed could take the points away from me.

Net price: $20
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Willie Kool on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 pm

I've needed a new receiver for a while, and finally picked one up tonight. I didn't really want to spend a grand or more so I opted for:

http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-hi-res-wi-fi-network-a-v-receiver-zid27-STRDN1050/cat-27-catid-ESP-Home-Theather-Electronics

The number of options / features on these new receivers is impressive. Just finished setting it up, and haven't had a chance to really explore / tweak settings or crank it, but so far I really like it. I'm thinking I'll run a 5.1 or 5.2 setup with the TV and use Zone 2 for a pair of outdoor speakers for the back yard.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 am

How is the sound quality?

I had some ancient Technics receiver, which died about four years ago. I bought a ~ $200 Sony model and have never felt that it was quite as good.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:27 am

All about that bass
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:07 am

Having an app is key to a new receiver. If the remote isn't around, I need to be able to turn up/down the volume with my phone.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:19 am

Had a fun night last night, i downloaded a steven hawking voice over program. Was quite entertaining making vids of his voice and sending them to friends. If your bored one night give it a shot.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 am

columbia wrote:How is the sound quality?

I had some ancient Technics receiver, which died about four years ago. I bought a ~ $200 Sony model and have never felt that it was quite as good.

My complaint with modern 2 CH receivers is the lack of the "loudness" feature and knobs/buttons to change settings. I don't want to use a sub woofer and I don't want to rely on the remote control all the time.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:51 am

columbia wrote:How is the sound quality?

Turned it up pretty loud this morning before I left for work and have to say it sounded really good. It's actually replacing a several years old ~ $200 Sony, and the sound is definitely a big step up.

Factorial wrote: My complaint with modern 2 CH receivers is the lack of the "loudness" feature and knobs/buttons to change settings. I don't want to use a sub woofer and I don't want to rely on the remote control all the time.

2 channel receiver? Loudness feature? Buttons? What do you think this is, 1984? But seriously, why don't you want to use a sub? Honestly, I can't imagine not having one.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:53 am

I would prefer equipment from 1984....which is when my dead :( Technics was made.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:39 am

shmenguin wrote:Having an app is key to a new receiver. If the remote isn't around, I need to be able to turn up/down the volume with my phone.

That's some real first world problems right there. :wink:

I'm still running a 13 year old Harman Kardon. It does well for my place and has been quite reliable considering how often I leave it on. One day I'll update, like when I move into a new place, but for now it does it's job.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:00 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-ico ... Id=6263926

Putting the new surround sound receiver on hold for now, but I picked this up as an open box and paid a fraction of the price listed.

For where I am now, it more than does the job.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR