Audiophile thread - All about sound

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Audiophile thread - All about sound

Postby dodint on Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Willie Kool wrote:I've needed a new receiver for a while, and finally picked one up tonight. I didn't really want to spend a grand or more so I opted for:

http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-hi-res-wi-fi-network-a-v-receiver-zid27-STRDN1050/cat-27-catid-ESP-Home-Theather-Electronics

The number of options / features on these new receivers is impressive. Just finished setting it up, and haven't had a chance to really explore / tweak settings or crank it, but so far I really like it. I'm thinking I'll run a 5.1 or 5.2 setup with the TV and use Zone 2 for a pair of outdoor speakers for the back yard.

I have the 1040 and love it. Have a small issue with the HDMI switching but I think it's the TV. Bluetooth, Airplay, and all the other stuff are really great features and the Sony receiver I bought in the early 2000s was still going strong (it's in the garage now) so I rewarded Sony with a repeat purchase. I don't regret it. Also nice having an On Screen Display to map out all the inputs. I collect vintage video game consoles so any receiver I buy is already full regardless of how robust it is. I almost daisy chained the old one to the new one but thought it would either be overkill or start a fire. ;)
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:00 pm

Sony has no business being mentioned in an audiophile thread.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:06 pm

You're 100% right, it doesn't. It's useful, affordable, and accessible. It doesn't belong here at all. Really it belongs in the home theater thread but it wouldn't make sense to quote someone across threads. I just wanted to congratulate WK on his purchase and let him know there are other satisfied customers out there.

The sound quality is on par with or better than 99.9% of the competition. Audiophile discussion is for finding that .1% that matters only to audiophiles. Have at it.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:04 pm

dodint wrote:You're 100% right, it doesn't. It's useful, affordable, and accessible. It doesn't belong here at all. Really it belongs in the home theater thread but it wouldn't make sense to quote someone across threads. I just wanted to congratulate WK on his purchase and let him know there are other satisfied customers out there.

The sound quality is on par with or better than 99.9% of the competition. Audiophile discussion is for finding that .1% that matters only to audiophiles. Have at it.

Yep, it's more that the thread is mislabeled. If you go back to post one the question has to do with ear buds which are about as far away from audiophile as you can get. The widespread usage of ear buds, and before that the walkman, has led to the loss of dynamics in music releases over the past 20 years.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm more bothered by WK's horrible taste in music.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:08 pm

I've always enjoyed the joke of folks spending hundreds of dollars on the newest iDevice and then using the stock $.99 earbuds, so that's cool. Someone took it all the way back and made an infographic showing the cost of all the equipment in the studio and it ended with the earbuds. Pretty funny.

When I consider audio I'm more about immersion, whether it be my racing sim rig or my home theater, so perfect reproduction isn't a huge concern for me but the sound field is. Different strokes for different folks.
dodint
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:10 pm

columbia wrote:I'm more bothered by WK's horrible taste in music.

Yeah, he even likes these guys:

Spoiler:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Those 99 cent earbuds can't handle this bass....

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Factorial wrote:

Yeah, he even likes these guys:

Spoiler:

I think you and EPP were the only two on here that like them. :pop:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR