Keurig K Cups

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Keurig K Cups

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:51 pm

MWB wrote:Where are you getting the cost per pound from?

Just read an article the other day -- I'll look for it.

Edit, here it is:

SOMETIMES it’s hard to tell how much coffee costs, even if you know what you spent. At least that’s the case with many of the single-serve brewing machines that are soaring in popularity.

For example, the Nespresso Arpeggio costs $5.70 for 10 espresso capsules, while the Folgers Black Silk blend for a K-Cup brewed-coffee machine is $10.69 for 12 pods. But that Nespresso capsule contains 5 grams of coffee, so it costs about $51 a pound. And the Folgers, with 8 grams per capsule, works out to more than $50 a pound.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/dinin ... rig&st=cse
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Factorial wrote:

The article I found compared the cost per cup, using the same $20 a pound you suggested:

A 24-pack of Fair Trade Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve K-cups cost $15.45, which comes out to 65 cents a cup for glorified instant coffee. Meanwhile, you can buy a pound of Intelligenstia’s Direct Trade coffee for $20, which is a premium compared to what most people pay in a grocery store or even at most local roasters. Divide that by 30 and it comes out to 66 cents a cup for some of the best coffee you can buy. Cost savings per cup? Need a penny, take a penny.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:06 pm

MWB wrote:
Factorial wrote:

The article I found compared the cost per cup, using the same $20 a pound you suggested:

A 24-pack of Fair Trade Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve K-cups cost $15.45, which comes out to 65 cents a cup for glorified instant coffee. Meanwhile, you can buy a pound of Intelligenstia’s Direct Trade coffee for $20, which is a premium compared to what most people pay in a grocery store or even at most local roasters. Divide that by 30 and it comes out to 66 cents a cup for some of the best coffee you can buy. Cost savings per cup? Need a penny, take a penny.

If Folgers at $50 a lb is leading to a cost per cup of 65¢ I can have $20 per lb coffee for 2 / 5 of 65¢ or 26¢ a cup.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:09 pm

ib4economists who want to know the opportunity cost of having to scoop your coffee, boil your water, and clean the pot before using it again.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Here's the key line in the article:

“Americans under the age of 40 are thinking about coffee pricing in cups,” said Ric Rhinehart, executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America. “If you asked my mother how much coffee cost, she would have told you that the red can was $5.25 a pound and the blue can was $4.25. If you ask people in their 20s and 30s, they’ll say coffee is $1.75 to $3.75 a cup.”
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Factorial wrote:
MWB wrote:
Factorial wrote:

If Folgers at $50 a lb is leading to a cost per cup of 65¢ I can have $20 per lb coffee for 2 / 5 of 65¢ or 26¢ a cup.

Forgot the link to the above quote: http://www.dearcoffeeiloveyou.com/love-keurig-nope/
It's an anti-keurig site, so the numbers are probably pretty accurate. I think kcups use less grounds in each cup than the normal press or brewer would use.

That cost of $50 is a bit exaggerated. 8 grams of coffee in each kcup means that about 56 kcups equals a pound of coffee. It would cost about $35 to get that many kcups.

No matter, really. A press will certainly give you a better cup of coffee. I just like the ease of the keurig to give me a decent cup of coffee.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 am

Coffee Costs: 5 Ways to Save Money on K-Cups DAILYFINANCE.COM | FEBRUARY 18, 2012http://pulse.me/s/667vH 
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 am

I use the reusable filter with my own coffee....perfect
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:57 am

I make 10 cups of Folger's every morning.
#whitetrash
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I use the reusable filter with my own coffee....perfect

What about having to deal with those messy grounds? Sounds inconvenient.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

columbia wrote:I make 10 cups of Folger's every morning.
#whitetrash

The Colombian Folgers is actually good. I assume that is what you drink?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 am

I just bought some K cups for at my desk at work. I brew a pot of coffee every morning for my office mates and I, but the K cups are nice for the afternoon pick me up when i just want a quick cup of coffee. quite enjoyable.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 am

Factorial wrote:
columbia wrote:I make 10 cups of Folger's every morning.
#whitetrash

The Colombian Folgers is actually good. I assume that is what you drink?

It's probably from Brazil, which has a poor coffee growing tradition.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 am

count2infinity wrote:I just bought some K cups for at my desk at work. I brew a pot of coffee every morning for my office mates and I, but the K cups are nice for the afternoon pick me up when i just want a quick cup of coffee. quite enjoyable.

Do most office workers here have to pay for coffee at work? We've always had free coffee and pop machines and they somehow have made it through the cost cutting times in recent years. I think they know the benefits of a well caffeinated group of workers.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am

Factorial wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I just bought some K cups for at my desk at work. I brew a pot of coffee every morning for my office mates and I, but the K cups are nice for the afternoon pick me up when i just want a quick cup of coffee. quite enjoyable.

Do most office workers here have to pay for coffee at work? We've always had free coffee and pop machines and they somehow have made it through the cost cutting times in recent years. I think they know the benefits of a well caffeinated group of workers.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40544&p=1907758#p1907744

:evil:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

columbia wrote:
Factorial wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40544&p=1907758#p1907744

:evil:

:lol:
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 am

when i was teaching, there was one person in charge of the "coffee club". Everyone paid something like $20 for the year and you could come and get coffee anytime you wanted. Now we each have our own coffee maker in our offices. And there's a Keurig in the break room for all to use (you need to bring your own k cups)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm guessing the Keurig teas are an even worse buy. But when you only want 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day it's still cheaper than buying it at a shop. At work we have a coffee club and the company buys coffee for scheduled refueling outages. Problem with coffee clubs is most people are like children. They won't drink the last cup and let it burn on the machine. They also won't make a fresh pot typically. You would be surprised how many just walk away from that last cup without doing anything.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 pm

i would kick them out of the club...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ron` on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm

As far as K-cup favorites stocked at our house: Nantucket Blend, Kahlua and Earl Grey Tea
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Ron` on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm

count2infinity wrote:i would kick them out of the club...

They are usually the upper managers.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm

i got the nantucket blend for work... good stuff
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Recently got Lake & Lodge. I like that along with the Vermont Country Blend. Haven't really found a good flavored coffee that I like yet.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Ron` wrote:
count2infinity wrote:i would kick them out of the club...

They are usually the upper managers.

Exactly, but in my case it the lazy ass VP and the "what, me do work?" salespeople. Someone found this and taped it to the counter for them:

It hasn't made a difference.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 pm

For you iPhone users:

Two doctors at Penn State University have developed Caffeine Zone, a free iOS app that tells you the perfect time to take a coffee break to maintain an optimal amount of caffeine in your blood — and, perhaps more importantly, it also tells you when to stop drinking tea and coffee, so that caffeine doesn’t interrupt your sleep.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1183 ... ine-intake
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR