LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I played down in Florida this past week, shot about the same.

Where'd ya play?

My wife's grandparents live in the Villages, so some member courses there.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 am

so there is definitely ageism in golf clubhouses. I went this morning (I paid my membership dues, so keep that in mind) and wanted to tee off around 7:00. Website says tee times start at 7:00. So we ask if we can go out, they say not until 7:30. Wow, there's 2 or 3 groups ahead of us? I'm in shock. We walk out with our 7:30 time, go to the starter, and there's no one on the course that we can see. We ask the starter if we could just go tee off, "no, tee times don't start until 7:30, you guys are the first ones out." wtf? so we talk to him for a bit, get him to let us go out at 7:20 instead. We get to the 6th hole and caught up with a two some that were both about 60 years old. We catch them on the next tee and ask what time they teed off, "6:30". What in the hell? When we get back to the clubhouse we ask the guy at the counter what the deal is. He says they're long time members, they get to go off at 6:30. It's very frustrating, especially when we get going at 7:30, we only have time for about 6 holes before we have to get going to work. If we could start at 6:30 we'd get to walk a nice, easy 9 holes and not worry about rushing to get to work on time.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 am

and people wonder why golf does not resonate with young people
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 21, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm in the market for new woods (the woods I currently use are the woods I got with my first set of adult-sized golf clubs, so they're old and crappy).

Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for something "cheap" but user-friendly (and I'm also aware that usability and feel differ from golfer to golfer).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue May 21, 2013 2:58 pm

go to dicks or golf galaxy and just mash a few from 2 seasons ago. they should all be pretty good and in the 90-150 range
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Orlando Penguin wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
I played down in Florida this past week, shot about the same.

Where'd ya play?

My wife's grandparents live in the Villages, so some member courses there.

I worked up in that area about 9-10 years ago and got to play a number of their courses. Granted, that was when they only had 4 or 5 championship courses. Now they have almost triple that.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 am

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9299934/sergio-garcia-makes-fried-chicken-remark-tiger-woods

I'm not a huge fan of Tiger Woods, but man was I happy when he went on to win the Player's Championship while Sergio self-destructed. I hope Garcia never wins a major.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 am

i dont think you have to hope too hard for that
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 9:31 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i dont think you have to hope too hard for that

They said the same about Phil :scared:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed May 22, 2013 9:35 am

touche
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 9:36 am

I went to my storage unit yesterday and thought about bringing back my golf clubs, but still haven't got them out yet this year. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 am

Apologies if this has been posted but cheater putters are being banned starting Jan 1, 2016 (LOL):
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9297 ... nuary-2016
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 10:16 am

I'm not sure how they've made it this long. Its like the two handed backhand in Tennis. Grow up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 11:13 am

Late to the party on the woods/sergio thing. I think the most entertaining thing about this is that it's the second time some pompous *** has made a friend chicken reference about Woods. I mean it's kind of funny how ridiculous those rich ***holes are that make up the tour players. I think at somepoint it would be good to stereotype the rich white golfers as abrasive racists in a public manner.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed May 22, 2013 11:35 am

Right since two guys have made insensitive remarks in seventeen years they are all rich racist scumbags.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 11:48 am

ulf wrote:Right since two guys have made insensitive remarks in seventeen years they are all rich racist scumbags.

Right, it's just two outliers. If these two guys felt completely fine making remarks like that, it's pretty obvious that this is acceptable behaviour within that culture.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 am

Troy Loney wrote:
ulf wrote:Right since two guys have made insensitive remarks in seventeen years they are all rich racist scumbags.

Right, it's just two outliers. If these two guys felt completely fine making remarks like that, it's pretty obvious that this is acceptable behaviour within that culture.

I'm not really sure I understand this.

I can point to every other major sports league and see incidents of racist remarks over the last several decades. Whether it's John Rocker in the MLB, Krys Barch in the NHL, etc. Racial slurs have been present in the NBA as well, not to mention strongly homophobic remarks.

Singling out the golf world as being a racist culture because of two comments made by jerkwads over a 17 year span is silly, to put it mildly. Sure, it's a stuffy culture, and overly pretentious at times, but I think you are making a pretty big reach here.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 11:59 am

Fried chicken jokes?
Man, that's weak.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

I'm not really sure I understand this.

I can point to every other major sports league and see incidents of racist remarks over the last several decades. Whether it's John Rocker in the MLB, Krys Barch in the NHL, etc. Racial slurs have been present in the NBA as well, not to mention strongly homophobic remarks.

Singling out the golf world as being a racist culture because of two comments made by jerkwads over a 17 year span is silly, to put it mildly. Sure, it's a stuffy culture, and overly pretentious at times, but I think you are making a pretty big reach here.

Well, there's also the fact that they play one of the major tournaments at a club that is notoriously racist.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 pm

columbia wrote:Fried chicken jokes?
Man, that's weak.

Pretty archaic in my opinion, also to the point that these guys have a more "traditional" attitude towards things like..race.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I mean, Augusta's past is well-documented, and I am personally not a fan of the over-the-top reverence CBS and the golf world pays to the course, but it is what it is.

I still think, by your standards, that just about every sports league could be classified as having some kind of "racist culture". FWIW, Fuzzy Zoeller was roundly condemned for his comments back in the mid-90s, and lost a bunch of sponsorships, so I don't know how accepting the golf world is of idiots like him...
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, Augusta's past is well-documented, and I am personally not a fan of the over-the-top reverence CBS and the golf world pays to the course, but it is what it is.

I still think, by your standards, that just about every sports league could be classified as having some kind of "racist culture". FWIW, Fuzzy Zoeller was roundly condemned for his comments back in the mid-90s, and lost a bunch of sponsorships, so I don't know how accepting the golf world is of idiots like him...

Well, i think the upbringing of a professional golfer vs a professional NHL or NFL player is a bit different and negates the comparison with all other sports leagues.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, Augusta's past is well-documented, and I am personally not a fan of the over-the-top reverence CBS and the golf world pays to the course, but it is what it is.

Well, i think the upbringing of a professional golfer vs a professional NHL or NFL player is a bit different and negates the comparison with all other sports leagues.

You really think a typical pro golfer's upbringing is any more culturally insulated than an NHL player? I completely disagree.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Sooooo... PGA = Racist. NBA, NHL, NFL also have racist members, but since their upbringing was different, they can't be compared?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 pm

count2infinity wrote:Sooooo... PGA = Racist. NBA, NHL, NFL also have racist members, but since their upbringing was different, they can't be compared?

Right, a 25 year old meathead with limited education is the same as a middle aged adult. You really think those two should be held up to the same standards?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR