LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm

It's just hilarious to me that you are citing two racially insensitive comments in 17 years (one of which was made by a Spanish person, lulz), and the fact they play at Augusta, as proof that the PGA is inundated by this racist culture, as you put it.

Steve Stricker, a certified Wisconsin white boy, was a key driving force in the rejuvenation of Tiger's career lately, by working with him to improve his putting stroke. Shouldn't he have been trying to keep that upstart colored boy down off his pedestal?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Sergio's comments are absurd, I think you should atleast consider that elements of country club culture play a role. And if these rich guys are a bunch of racist jerks, they should be called out.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm

so if it was rory mcilroy or rickie fowler, both 24 by the way, THEN it's comparable, but not for sergio... i understand now.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 12:58 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:It's just hilarious to me that you are citing two racially insensitive comments in 17 years (one of which was made by a Spanish person, lulz), and the fact they play at Augusta, as proof that the PGA is inundated by this racist culture, as you put it.

Steve Stricker, a certified Wisconsin white boy, was a key driving force in the rejuvenation of Tiger's career lately, by working with him to improve his putting stroke. Shouldn't he have been trying to keep that upstart colored boy down off his pedestal?

It's hilarious to me that in the "modern age", Tiger Woods is still having to break racial barriers and people are publicly making fried chicken jokes.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Sergio's comments are absurd, I think you should atleast consider that elements of country culture play a role. And if these rich guys are a bunch of racist jerks, they should be called out.

I am not denying the pretentiousness of golf (I hate it), but you aren't exactly offering a ton of evidence or proof that the world of golf has strong racist undertones. Strong PRIVILEGED undertones? Oh my yes. Strong RICH undertones? Blatantly.

I think it has a whole lot more to do with class than anything else.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm

count2infinity wrote:so if it was rory mcilroy or rickie fowler, both 24 by the way, THEN it's comparable, but not for sergio... i understand now.

I don't think you seem to grasp what i'm saying. And if I can't make myself clear, there's no point in making this argument.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:It's just hilarious to me that you are citing two racially insensitive comments in 17 years (one of which was made by a Spanish person, lulz), and the fact they play at Augusta, as proof that the PGA is inundated by this racist culture, as you put it.

It's hilarious to me that in the "modern age", Tiger Woods is still having to break racial barriers and people are publicly making fried chicken jokes.

wtf are you talking about? he's breaking racial barriers? he was/is largely celebrated as the best golfer in the world and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with being a black guy. If you really want to call a professional sport "racist" because it costs so much money to play, why don't you look to the NHL. I grew up in a lower middle class family and didn't have the money to play hockey despite my constant begging, but I golf. Golf is much cheaper to get into than hockey is.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

This is the first racist comment by a PGA Tour player in 17 years, and that one was immediately condemned (even though he didn't have to) by the #1 player in the world, Tom Lehman.

Not to mention, it was made by a Hispanic player from a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. Hispanics aren't exactly known for their love of black people.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 1:01 pm

You have to wonder what kind of comments Garcia makes off camera, if he's dumb enough to say that in a public forum.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
count2infinity wrote:so if it was rory mcilroy or rickie fowler, both 24 by the way, THEN it's comparable, but not for sergio... i understand now.

I don't think you seem to grasp what i'm saying. And if I can't make myself clear, there's no point in making this argument.

so golf must be held to a higher standard because the average education level of a golfer is higher than that of an NBA pro? Is that what you're getting at here?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Troy Loney wrote:

You are stating that golf has a racist culture, based on two statements in 17 years (one of which was condemned immediately and damaged that golfer's reputation, the other which was made by a Hispanic golfer from Spain at an awards ceremony for the EUROPEAN Tour.

Oh, and Augusta.

If you don't see how silly and overreaching that is, there's no point in making this argument.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

This is the first racist comment by a PGA Tour player in 17 years, and that one was immediately condemned (even though he didn't have to) by the #1 player in the world, Tom Lehman.

Not to mention, it was made by a Hispanic player from a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. Hispanics aren't exactly known for their love of black people.

Troy Loney wrote:I don't think you seem to grasp what i'm saying. And if I can't make myself clear, there's no point in making this argument.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm

columbia wrote:You have to wonder what kind of comments Garcia makes off camera, if he's dumb enough to say that in a public forum.

Sergio is widely known as a certified A-hole, long before this comment was made.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:03 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

so golf must be held to a higher standard because the average education level of a golfer is higher than that of an NBA pro? Is that what you're getting at here?

you are the ones comparing golf to the other sports.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:You have to wonder what kind of comments Garcia makes off camera, if he's dumb enough to say that in a public forum.

Sergio is widely known as a certified A-hole, long before this comment was made.

That was impression....but I don't follow golf closely enough, to have remembered any incidents.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

you are the ones comparing golf to the other sports.

only because of your premise of it being a racist sport, so it was then compared it to other sports. You want a racist sport? go to the NHL, or hell, go to the NBA and see how racist they are toward whites. They are both equally or more so racist than golf, but you go ahead and keep plucking that chicken.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Troy Loney wrote:you are the ones comparing golf to the other sports.

If those comparisons are absurd, so is labeling a sport's culture racist because of two racially insensitive comments in 17 years. The way you are making it out to be, it's like Augusta won't let Tiger Woods play at their course because "he's one of dem darkie folks". You are massively blowing these comments out of proportion, as asinine as they obviously are.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Ok, racist culture, not sport.

I believe that Augusta has no business hosting a major national event, not because they have a racist past. But because they clung to those standards well beyond any reasonable time.

Tiger Woods is the most prominent african american golfer, and I can't really think of more than a handful of other black golfers (singh is all i can think of). Twice there have been public fried chicken comments, do you think that this isn't what is talked about privately? Sorry, that seems pretty willifully ignorant to me if you want to just constantly highlight "two times".

You can have your opinion and i can have mine.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed May 22, 2013 1:17 pm

vijay singh probably wouldnt even be considered black. hes from fiji (perhaps drinking the fiji water).
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:20 pm

My point is, you have zero proof of this. And again, there is VERY little difference between the upbringings of most NHL players and golfers. Most of them come from affluent, culturally insulated backgrounds.

Do you know why there aren't more successful black golfers? It's a rich man's game, and hard for poor, black urban kids to get into because it is prohibitively expensive and there are no golf courses around.

Do you know why there aren't more successful black hockey players? It's a rich man's game, and hard for poor, black urban kids to get into because it is prohibitively expensive and there are no rinks around.

Golf and hockey are probably the most similar sports as far as typical youth and cultural upbringing. My point is, it is willfully ignorant for you to claim that there is a racist culture in golf and not make the same claim about hockey, if we are going by your standards.

Why are there so many barriers to black hockey players starting out?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed May 22, 2013 1:25 pm

what happened in here?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 pm

So what your saying is that because you can compare golf to hockey in some regards...it's ok?

I'm sure hockey has some closed door racism as well. But until someone makes a public comment about Wayne Simmonds and fried chicken, I'd rather focus on where that did happen.

I suppose you have no hesitation about having one of the largest national events at Augusta?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what happened in here?

Troy Loney: Golf is really really racist. It's unbelievable
Shad and Myself: It's not any more racist than other sports
Troy Loney: Yes it is, so there.
Shad and Myself: Uh... what? no it isn't, look at this, this, and this
Troy Loney: Yes it is, so there.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what happened in here?

I made an apparantly unfounded generalization.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I suppose you have no hesitation about having one of the largest national events at Augusta?

The Masters Tournament started in 1934, and Augusta National was designed by one of the greatest golfers in history, Bobby Jones. It's more about tradition and the venue than endorsing Augusta's racist/sexist past or whatever.

I'm not looking at other sports to defend golf, because that would be absurd. Rather, I'm telling you that by your standards, every sport has a racist culture.

How about the hate towards Hank Aaron?

How about the media trashing Roberto Clemente?

How about Marge Schott, who owned an MLB franchise?

How about Al Campanis, GM of the Dodgers for 20 years, that was a horrific racist?

How about John Rocker?

how about Torii Hunter calling black latino players "impostors" 3 years ago?

How about Rod Allen's "rice and beans" comment about all of the Latino players on the Tigers two years ago?

<GASP>....an MLB announcer made a comment about ethnic food?

This doesn't even touch on pre-Jackie Robinson, but I don't think the modern MLB has a racist culture at all. Sure, there are idiots, but I am able to isolate those people.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR