LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:35 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:what happened in here?

Troy Loney: Golf is really really racist. It's unbelievable
Shad and Myself: It's not any more racist than other sports
Troy Loney: Yes it is, so there.
Shad and Myself: Uh... what? no it isn't, look at this, this, and this
Troy Loney: Yes it is, so there.

Personally, i'd probably say that c2i has brought nothing of substance to the topic at hand. But if he chooses to consider himself a key cog, who am I to prevent that.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pensfan2010 on Wed May 22, 2013 1:36 pm

I go away to lunch then come back to post a question about irons and this thread took a turn. Anyway, does anybody have any experience with Nike Irons? I found a decent set in a previous years model, MachSpeed X, for reasonably priced, and didn't know if anybody has any experience with them.
Pensfan2010
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Pensfan2010 wrote:I go away to lunch then come back to post a question about irons and this thread took a turn. Anyway, does anybody have any experience with Nike Irons? I found a decent set in a previous years model, MachSpeed X, for reasonably priced, and didn't know if anybody has any experience with them.

I apparently bring nothing of substance to the thread since I know nothing about golf, but I will tell you that I've looked into those irons as well, and from everything I've read they're a great set up clubs. where did you find them and how much are they? If you can, go to a golf store or dicks and try hitting a current year version of them before you buy though just to make sure they feel right for the way you play. again, I don't bring anything of substance, but I can only do my best to try to tell you what I think/know.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Pensfan2010 wrote:I go away to lunch then come back to post a question about irons and this thread took a turn. Anyway, does anybody have any experience with Nike Irons? I found a decent set in a previous years model, MachSpeed X, for reasonably priced, and didn't know if anybody has any experience with them.

Get back on topic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

Get back on topic.

yeah, you know that topic that should be largely overlooked because Sergio is a moron, but yet someone who had never posted in this thread prior to the past hour decided to be the expert on it and stop by to divulge is massive amounts of uppity knowledge.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed May 22, 2013 1:45 pm

i have played with the nike VR pro and cavity and they are both quite nice
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd... if golf wasn't racist, why are most golf balls white? check, and mate.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 22, 2013 1:48 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

Get back on topic.

yeah, you know that topic that should be largely overlooked because Sergio is a moron, but yet someone who had never posted in this thread prior to the past hour decided to be the expert on it and stop by to divulge is massive amounts of uppity knowledge.

Someone just wanted to jump on their contrary soapbox.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 22, 2013 1:48 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I suppose you have no hesitation about having one of the largest national events at Augusta?

The Masters Tournament started in 1934, and Augusta National was designed by one of the greatest golfers in history, Bobby Jones. It's more about tradition and the venue than endorsing Augusta's racist/sexist past or whatever.

I'm not looking at other sports to defend golf, because that would be absurd. Rather, I'm telling you that by your standards, every sport......

It's pretty well documented that MLB had a racist culture and they seem to have dealt with the fundamental issues...right? Can't help it when someone like rocker makes it to the spotlight.

NFL and NBA are predominantly black, they're dealing the homophobia that is pronounced in african american culture. But that is also well documented and equally appallling.

It would seem that the PGA has never really had to breach any color barriers...because of how few black golfers there are. I'm not blaming them for that, can't help it if there aren't black golfers good enough to make it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed May 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think at somepoint it would be good to stereotype the rich white golfers as abrasive racists in a public manner.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can stereotype an entire group of people based on two comments in 17 years. Or even how it's ok and "good" to do so??

Also I got the Nike mach irons two years ago. I love them. Hit every big brand at demo day and just hit those the best. Not all clubs are the best for everyone though, so take some swings with them before you buy.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 2:00 pm

I really need to get a new set of irons. I have a set from Pinemeadow Golf from about 5 years ago. I needed a cheap set to get me started, but now that I'm a few years in of playing golf on a regular basis, I'm looking to invest a little bit of money into a nice set. I think I'll wait until either the end of the season this year or the beginning of next season to do it though, unless I find a great deal. Need to go and hit a few though to see what feels good. The biggest problem of me finding clubs cheap though is that I'm 6'5" so I need the longer ones and they usually aren't on sale/don't come real cheap.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 22, 2013 2:28 pm

c2i golf galaxy and dsg run iron fitting/set fitting promotions every one in a while. They will sometimes do set fittings if you buy them at their store for free. The golf-a-thon usually has that promotion.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Grunthy wrote:c2i golf galaxy and dsg run iron fitting/set fitting promotions every one in a while. They will sometimes do set fittings if you buy them at their store for free. The golf-a-thon usually has that promotion.

thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out. This may sound like an odd question, but can you buy regular length clubs and buy some sort of grips that would extend the length to feel like a +2" set?

Spoiler:
in before "that's what she said"
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Not that I am aware of. Then again I like standard length clubs even though I an 6'5". So i have never looked for something like that.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Grunthy wrote:Not that I am aware of. Then again I like standard length clubs even though I an 6'5". So i have never looked for something like that.

you don't have any problems with hitting the ball well?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

count2infinity wrote:
Grunthy wrote:Not that I am aware of. Then again I like standard length clubs even though I an 6'5". So i have never looked for something like that.

you don't have any problems with hitting the ball well?

No not at all. I'm a registered 3 handicap. The only club fitted to me is my driver.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 3:01 pm

hmmmm... I've never really considered anything other than extended clubs. I'll definitely have to go to golf galaxy or one of the golf stores here in State College and try out some clubs. I don't have a registered handicap, but I would guess it's about a 10-12. I normally shoot in the low 80's.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed May 22, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm not sure which was the bigger blowup -- my golf game today or this thread. Whew. Makes me happy that I didn't have to be at work for all of this mess.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Twisted Wrister on Thu May 23, 2013 6:39 am

C2i, Taylormade irons are justtttt a bit longer than the others. And by that I mean like a quarter inch.
Twisted Wrister
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 23, 2013 11:22 am

Is there a range in pittsburgh where one can hit off real grass?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am

I certainly can't think of one in the North Hills.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am

http://stoneycreekgolfcenter.com/drivingrange

you have to pay a $50 membership fee

not all that far from dahntahn

a lot of courses have grass driving ranges...madison club comes to mind.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 am

I can't think of any public courses near the city that have grass. Pittsburgh national may be the closest.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

saxon golf course has a grass range but is far away as well.

maybe call and ask a country club if you can work yourself a deal?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Thu May 23, 2013 11:57 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Is there a range in pittsburgh where one can hit off real grass?

Scally's in Moon has a area for hitting off real grass...not sure if it is open yet or not though.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR