LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Absolutely bizarre start today. Stricker completely loses it, Donald nails some girl in the head and proceeds to implode, Phil missing short birdie putts..yeesh.

Schwartzel looking really stout all of a sudden.......aaaaaaaaaaaaand he just made bogey. Phil alone in the lead again at -1.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Yeah, Luke Donald just doesn't look right since he hurt that girl. As much talk as Sergio Garcia gets for not winning the big one, I feel like Luke Donald is the best player on tour to not have a major win.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS PHILLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm

to quote the future mrs. c2i... "If I have to watch golf, Phil better be in contention. I love that guy."
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Admit it. Who here is the guy that screams "Get in the hole!"
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Canaan is the dude that yells, "MASHED POTATOES!!!"
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Looks like another second place finish for Phil. Is he the Buffalo Bills of the US Open?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Admit it. Who here is the guy that screams "Get in the hole!"

I did while golfing as a foursome with friends a few years back. One friend made a mistake of saying he couldn't stand that, so it is now a running joke with anybody he golfs with.

Canaan is the dude that yells, "MASHED POTATOES!!!"

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:33 pm

im starting to collect gift certificates to courses ill go to once a year from winning outings. ugh. 75 to edgewood, 50 to fox chapel, 50 to quicksilver.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:07 am

count2infinity wrote:Canaan is the dude that yells, "MASHED POTATOES!!!"

If I'm at a tournament and I hear someone yell out a variation of this or bababooey or whatever and I can identify them, I'm going to take the camera off the tripod I'm standing next to and bash them over the head with it. Shut up already. You sound like a moron.

~curmudgeonly rant over
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Picked up the Callaway Razr X NG irons (steel shaft, 4-AW) tonight. I'm so psyched!!!

I hit the 7 iron of these, the TM Burner 2.0s, and the RocketBallz. The choice was down to the Callaways and the Rbzs...which was closer than I thought. The Rbzs were very nice (much nicer than I was expecting). The ball exploded off both, but the Callaways had a much better feel. The stock grips on the Taylormades were much better, but Dick's offered to let me play the the Razrs 'a couple times' before they'd charge me the regripping fee...so I'm playing Friday, and will go to the range Sunday...and if I'd prefer a different grip, I'll only have to pay the price of the actual grips. It'd be about another $40. All in all, I walked out paying about $310 (after opening the Dick's charge for the 10% off that's already closed and a BD giftcard). Couldn't be happier :D

After hitting Tommy Armour 845s Oversized for about 14 years, I'm not sure what to expect. Can't wait to find out though!!!
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:54 am

Awesome. I'm still on the hunt for my new set of clubs. The ping people were at the course doing demos the other day. I hit a few and while they felt great, they were a bit pricey and not real forgiving. I was talking to the guy doing the demo. He asked to look at my clubs, so I showed him. He told me I'm well over a decade behind current technology. I was shocked, I just bought the clubs 5 or 6 years ago, but he told me since they're knock off brands they're another 5 years behind. I'm going to go to Dick's or a local golf shop here soon and just hit as many different brands as possible.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 am

the new ping irons are schweeeeet. i currently play cleveland cg golds. i plan to use these for about 3 more years. my next set will likely be nike or ping. i cant play callaway irons - they just look funny when you stand over them.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:the new ping irons are schweeeeet. i currently play cleveland cg golds. i plan to use these for about 3 more years. my next set will likely be nike or ping. i cant play callaway irons - they just look funny when you stand over them.

I was fitted for and bought a set of Pings last summer and the two best things about them are their forgiveness and their light feel. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel like I'm swinging a club whereas the Titleist and Mizuno irons that I tried felt a touch clunky.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 am

I like heavier irons because they force me to slow my swing down and control my mechanics.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 am

Orlando Penguin wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:the new ping irons are schweeeeet. i currently play cleveland cg golds. i plan to use these for about 3 more years. my next set will likely be nike or ping. i cant play callaway irons - they just look funny when you stand over them.

I was fitted for and bought a set of Pings last summer and the two best things about them are their forgiveness and their light feel. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel like I'm swinging a club whereas the Titleist and Mizuno irons that I tried felt a touch clunky.

I'm not sure why people still play mizuno. Their clubs have played the exact same for about 10 years
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:13 am

must have just been the pings I was trying. Sounds like a lot of love in here for them. I'll have to give them another go when I go trying clubs out.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:16 am

Posted about my Nike driver snapping two weeks ago. Still waiting on Nike to send back the replacement. Have been hitting my dad's RBZ.. Kind of underwhelmed by it.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:20 am

i am completely underwhelmed by the rbz. it feels dead compared to my r7 limited
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 am

I tried the r11 driver last night while playing. I think it's just that my old driver is so far behind the times compared to these new ones that I'm instantly getting 20-30 yards extra on my drives. The r11 hit just about as well as the cobra amp cell pro that i tried a week or two back.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:35 am

malkinshair wrote:Picked up the Callaway Razr X NG irons (steel shaft, 4-AW) tonight. I'm so psyched!!!

After hitting Tommy Armour 845s Oversized for about 14 years, I'm not sure what to expect. Can't wait to find out though!!!

Played yesterday for the first time with my new irons...and holy Freddy Sanchez does a 14 year advancement in technology make a difference! I didn't get a chance to go to the range before playing, so my first swing on hole 1 (5 iron) was my first live contact with them...and I topped it :face: The front nine was a mixed bag. I was pulling the ball left a lot, but the contact through the ball was excellent. Trajectory was pretty spot on...though a little steeper than my normal ball flight. I hit a picture perfect 6 iron on a 185 yard par 3 (slightly downhill) to about 12 feet, but also missed left 3 times in 4 holes.

Back nine I had the epiphany. These are very slightly more offset than my previous clubs, so I moved the ball back at address about 1-2 ball lengths...and boom went the dynamite! :fist: 165 yard 8-iron to 10 feet, 140 yard PW to 12ft., and a 120yd AW (that I had to draw around a tree) to 20 feet. The wedges were drawing back a little, and the 8-iron stopped dead after a 3 foot bounce. I did notice that these do seem to be very difficult to move left to right (especially the higher irons), but that may be remedied on the range.

All in all, I couldn't be happier. There's still going to be a learning curve, but I noticed that I can dial back my swing a decent amount and get the same distance that I'm used to. Think I may be out on the range this afternoon :thumb:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Shot 83 today at green oaks. Was five inches from acing the par 4 8th hole. Also left five putts less than a ball outside. Had a terrible day reading greens
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Bubba puts one in the water and then blames his caddie for overshooting on the next shot.

What a jerk.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Bubba is definitely coming across as an ahole right now.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Just took advantage of this ridiculous deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Victory-Cavity-Graphite-Regular/dp/B004GCIHJE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372189860&sr=8-1&keywords=Nike+Golf+Victory+Red+Pro+Cavity+Irons

I've always used crappy, second-hand irons and I've had my current iron set for about 10 years. I am so excited to play with these.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR