canaan's talk of all-inclusive resorts...now w/ extra snark

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

canaan's talk of all-inclusive resorts...now w/ extra snark

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:33 pm

anyone have any recs on good prices/good quality joints? im not picky on location (punta cana, caymans, etc..doesnt matter)

thanks in advance.

personal experiences would be a plus
Last edited by canaan on Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: all-inclusive resorts

Postby Three Stars on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:35 pm

http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/

New Hampshire FTW. Tax Free Or Die.
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby rasbatch on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

El presidente in San Jose del Cabo was awesome!
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Like I told you, Sandals Negril. Just beautiful, amazing experience, amazing food, etc.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Couples Negril for romance.
Breezes Runaway Bay for fun.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:44 pm

Only one I ever went to was the Iberostar Bravaro in Punta Cana.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm

I can't imagine going to an all-inclusive resort like that that allows children. What's the point?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:50 pm

go on a Cruise.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach on Grand Bahama Islands was great.

Viva Wyndham Maya on the Riveria Maya was nice, but I liked the Bahamas better.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Are all sandles resorts all inclusive?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:26 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Are all sandles resorts all inclusive?

I think so, maybe they have one or two that isn't.

I DON'T recommend Sandals Whitehouse at all....it's pretty, but it's in the bay and the water is gross.

Negril is where it's at.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Interesting. I was looking online at some of them for a trip but couldn't tell if it was all inclusive or not
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:39 pm

"Couples" resorts in Jamaica are supposed to be the "high-end" of all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica. Truly all-inclusive (4-star restaurants with no restrictions, free transportation from and to the airport, all activities - including snorkeling, scuba diving+training, water-skiing, sailing, horse back riding etc., - fully included). For couples only - no kids allowed.

I spent 1 week this winter in Couples Tower Isle (http://couples.com/tower-isle/index.php ) and it would definitely have my recommendation. Fully remodelled in 2009(?), it's a place where many Hollywood stars in 1950's vacationed. It's right next to Ocho Rios on the north shore of Jamaica.

Two extra advantages over places on the west coast of Jamaica (Montego Bay, Negril):
(i) it's right next to Dunn River Falls http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/about_us_link.htm (in fact, the resort provides free bus trips there)
(ii) it's still a manageable distance from the Blue Mountains (http://www.bmtoursja.com/home.html ; that one is not included, but the tour company has a stop in the resort on the way to Blue Mountains).

I did not see any reason to do that, but you can also apply for spending one day at a different Couples resort (Couples Tower Isle is just 5-10 minutes from Couples Sans Souci). Also free of charge.
Last edited by Tomas on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 pm

I stayed at Oasis Cancun when I was 19 or 20 (about 6 or 7 years ago). It was pretty awesome, but I have no other resort experience to compare it too. Plus all we did was get drunk for a week, lay on the beach, then go to a club or bar. Meals were at set times (ie a 2 hour window for lunch, dinner, etc), so that was mildly inconvenient. The food was good, though. The hotel bars closed around midnight I think, so that was also annoying. We'd typically be at the disco by then, though, so wasn't a huge deal.

Cancun is pretty awesome overall, but not sure if I think that because I was so young when I went or not. Not sure how much I'd love it now or if I was older, even. It wasn't exactly a relaxing vacation week or anything. Lots going on. Although I suppose you could make it that if you wanted.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tjand72 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Tomas wrote:"Couples" resorts in Jamaica are supposed to be the "high-end" of all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica. Truly all-inclusive (4-star restaurants with no restrictions, free transportation from and to the airport, all activities - including snorkeling, scuba diving+training, water-skiing, sailing, horse back riding etc., - fully included). For couples only - no kids allowed.

I spent 1 week this winter in Couples Tower Isle (http://couples.com/tower-isle/index.php ) and it would definitely have my recommendation. Fully remodelled in 2009(?), it's a place where many Hollywood stars in 1950's vacationed. It's right next to Ocho Rios on the north shore of Jamaica.

Two extra advantages over places on the west coast of Jamaica (Montego Bay, Negril):
(i) it's right next to Dunn River Falls http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/about_us_link.htm (in fact, the resort provides free bus trips there)
(ii) it's still a manageable distance from the Blue Mountains (http://www.bmtoursja.com/home.html ; that one is not included, but the tour company has a stop in the resort on the way to Blue Mountains).

I did not see any reason to do that, but you can also apply for spending one day at a different Couples resort (Couples Tower Isle is just 5-10 minutes from Couples Sans Souci). Also free of charge.

Couples Tower Isle is the only all-inclusive place I've been, but it was great. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon this past year. I would say that if you're going to spend the money to go to a place like this, spend an extra $100 or so to be sure that you get an oceanview room. Our balcony overlooked the courtyard and ocean, and it was beautiful. There were other rooms that were not as desirable, and I think that the difference was only $100 or so. If you're going for a week, that's nothing.

Another thing about Tower Isle is that, from what I understand, it's smaller than other resorts. There were always beach chairs, and the activities were rarely booked solid. There's a lot more personal attention.

Our return flight was canceled and we got to stay at the Hilton resort for a night. It was nice, but it was humongous and definitely had more of a hotel feel to it. Not to mention the kids. I love kids, but I don't think that I want to spend a week on vacation with them if they aren't my own.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Couples Swept Away in Negril was amazing. Full week for under 4k including airfare from allinclusiveoutlet.com

We are probably going back in august for a babymoon.

I would recommend the atrium sweet for a tad more. Private balcony (and ours came with a free bag of weed....)
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:53 pm

Dude. Sounds like u had a suite time.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

C'naan, are you American?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:06 pm

mac5155 wrote:Dude. Sounds like u had a suite time.

Lolz
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

I really had a great time with my wife and her family when we stayed at the Club Med in Sand Piper, Florida back in 2004. Food and alcohol all day long, pool side, sports stuff, kids stuff, golfing, etc.

http://sandpiperbay.clubmed.us/resort
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:05 pm

bh wrote:Only one I ever went to was the Iberostar Bravaro in Punta Cana.
ok to expand a little as i didnt have time earlier. When I was looking in 2005 Punta Cana was one of the cheaper places compared to the other islands. From the research I got the impression that Jamaicans were a little pushy and rude. I've never been there but there were a lot of bad reviews. The people in the Dominican were some of the most friendly and hospitable that I've ever met. Their staff at the Iberostar were just top notch. We were supposed to stay at the Riu but they were overbooked and we got all kinds of upgrades and got transfered to the Iberostar.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 pm

mac5155 wrote:Dude. Sounds like u had a suite time.

Lol
:face: on my part
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 pm

Bowser wrote:I really had a great time with my wife and her family when we stayed at the Club Med in Sand Piper, Florida back in 2004. Food and alcohol all day long, pool side, sports stuff, kids stuff, golfing, etc.

http://sandpiperbay.clubmed.us/resort

Being able to swim up to a bar and order whatever you want is just an awesome experience.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:C'naan, are you American?

Yessir
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tjand72 on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Are there any resorts like this in the US? I don't want to have to worry about tips or purchasing alcohol or food. I'm actually surprised there aren't more places like this.

I don't even mean "tropical" resorts. Just places where you can pay a flat fee and be taken care of without worrying about extras.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NHR