Chicago

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chicago

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Dan H wrote:Re: pizza, there are two polar-opposite pizza capitals of the United States, New York and Chicago. In general, New York specializes in thin crust pizza. Chicago specializes in deep dish or stuffed. I prefer Chicago pizza, and have found that it's much easier to get really good pizza here than anywhere else. Your mileage may vary. I still think half of the little hole in the wall pizza joints here have lousy pizza, but that's a much better ratio than Pittsburgh, where there's Mineo's, which is okay, and, uh... you get my point.

I lived 3 blocks from Mineos and in both NYC and Chicago.
It's a matter of personal taste, but nothing beats a slice from New York.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby crayz on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:29 pm

ooh ooh....i live in Chicago

quite a few things you can do...in no specific order:

1) Although I dont care for it, get some deep dish pizza. Giordanos, Unos, or Geno's east or something similar
2) Shedd is good times, as is field museum/museum of science and industry
3) Millenium Park is a pretty cool place to hang out with the family, lots going on
4) Navy Pier is another great place for a family...although on weekends, good luck. crowded
5) **Go to a cubs game. Love them or hate them, there is something special about a game in Wrigley Field. Tickets are cheap now since they suck, stubhub or scalpers will seriously be under ticket cost.
6) At night, ditch the kids and hit up Rush street - crazy scene
7) Another night, ditch the wife and kids and check the bar scene at Wrigleyville...wow
8) Take a ride to Superdog, or gene and judes - famous places to have a hot dog. They are shown on all the food channels and stuff. Don't try and order ketchup :)

Another safe/interesting area is boys town (you can guess why), but they have a ton of small and cool shops. Old record stores, etc...

If you want to travel a little bit, Six Flags Great America is in Gurnee (hour'sh north of Chicago) and also has a huge water park.

Portillos is over-rated

if you need more or have any questions, feel free to shoot me a note.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby crayz on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:30 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:When you all say 'natural history museum' do you mean the Field Museum? I missed that on our trip there last fall, and I still regret it. We went to the Art Institute, which was plenty cool, but I had wanted to go to the Field Museum since I was a kid.

Yes. At least, that's what I'm talking about. I forget what the "official" name is.

There are 2 museums:

Field Museum

Museum of Science and Industry

The Field Museum is next door to Soldiers Field (where the Bears play) and is on the water.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby crayz on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

finally....

http://chicago.metromix.com/events

There are street fests and events going on every weekend. This site has them all if you are looking for other ideas.
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks again for all the feedback. Xoco and The Purple Pig both look good.

Unfortunately we'll be there during the All Star break, so no baseball. White Sox are playing at home Sunday afternoon, but probably won't do that.

I'm definitely a NY pizza guy, but I'm sure I'll try the deep dish. Don't think I've ever really had a true deep dish pizza.

Definitely going to the Field Museum. They've got some sort of Go Pass, where you pay a one time fee and get into all the museums, aquarium, Navy Pier stuff and other places for free. So we'll probably get that and do as much of it as we can.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crayz on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:30 pm

MWB wrote:Thanks again for all the feedback. Xoco and The Purple Pig both look good.

Unfortunately we'll be there during the All Star break, so no baseball. White Sox are playing at home Sunday afternoon, but probably won't do that.

I'm definitely a NY pizza guy, but I'm sure I'll try the deep dish. Don't think I've ever really had a true deep dish pizza.

Definitely going to the Field Museum. They've got some sort of Go Pass, where you pay a one time fee and get into all the museums, aquarium, Navy Pier stuff and other places for free. So we'll probably get that and do as much of it as we can.

White Sox park isn't bad.....everything around it is.

bring kevlar and park close.

or my recommendation...don't go at all :)
crayz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Dan H wrote:Re: pizza, there are two polar-opposite pizza capitals of the United States, New York and Chicago. In general, New York specializes in thin crustpizza. Chicago specializes in deep dish or stuffed sausage cake.

Fify

Not to say that one is 'better' than the other....... but deep dish is simply not pizza.

crayz wrote:6) At night, ditch the kids and hit up Rush street - crazy scene

Our hotel was at State and Illinois; lots of great music clubs.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IrishEyes on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:45 pm

crayz wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:When you all say 'natural history museum' do you mean the Field Museum? I missed that on our trip there last fall, and I still regret it. We went to the Art Institute, which was plenty cool, but I had wanted to go to the Field Museum since I was a kid.

Yes. At least, that's what I'm talking about. I forget what the "official" name is.

There are 2 museums:

Field Museum

Museum of Science and Industry

The Field Museum is next door to Soldiers Field (where the Bears play) and is on the water.

Yeah, the Field Museum is the one I was thinking of. I enjoyed the hell out of that place.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 am

Gonna be moving to Chicago area in October....working in Gary Indiana. We see that we can get alot more bang for our buck rent wise on an apartment by living out in an area like Valpairso but we are not sure we want to be so far from downtown. We have been looking around Orland and Tinley Park as distances from Gary, downtown, and Kankakee County Speedway .

I guess our main dilemma is to live further away over in Indiana and it seems we would get a nicer apartment but be further away, or live closer in one of those neighborhoods south of downtown. What is the commute going to be like to Gary if we stayed in Tiney Park type of area? If we stay further away what is the commute like to get into downtown during non rush hour times? I've googled them and this morning at 8:50 chicago time the trip to Gary was just over a mile a minute which is pretty good, didn't seem like any traffic issues to or from.

We only expect to live in the area for 3-5 years so we're leaning towards the Chicago suburbs to get a more Chicagoan experience during our time in the area but any advice or whatnot would be good help as we do our research. We currently live like 50 minutes outside of Pittsburgh so we are not used to the more urban type of living..Not totally crazy about community laundry facilities in the apartment buildings and those type of things.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 am

Don't live in Gary, that's for sure!

I would be surprised if there was a lot of traffic between Tinley Park and Gary. The commute and reverse commute on the main highways into the City are very busy, but I-80 would seem unaffected. You're going to pay a couple-dollar toll as you cross into the state, though. I live in downtown, though, and I do not own a car. Moreover, Tinley Park is where the main ampitheater is, and I continually complain about how far it feels for me. Then again, you are equidistant from the city and Gary living there, so that's nice. And any closer to Gary, you're going to be in the South Side, a no-no.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to NHR