LGP Outdoors Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Outdoors Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 24, 2012 10:34 pm

That's technically correct. You cast with your right hand if you're right handed.. You don't want the eyelets of the rod on the top of the reel so if you flip the reel facing down you should reel with your left hand. Technically if you're right handed, a baitcaster is reeled with your right hand and spinning reel with your left.

If your daughter is good at casting, a baitcaster will get her far casts. If she likes to use spinnerbaits and jigs, get a spinning reel on that ugly stick. If she's not that good at casting, a nice push button reel will help her learn how to cast.

My Shakespeare reel is awesome and I just have a cheapo from Walmart too. Replacing your line often will prolonge the life of the reel
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 24, 2012 11:06 pm

mac is the local expert on the manly arts.
I mean that as a compliment, mind you.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby legame on Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Watching mac wax poetically about quads, fishing, and bow hunting reminds me of my dad. I mean that as a compliment, as well...
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PghSkins on Sun May 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Any recommendations as far as paved/nice gravel bike trails within 45 min of Pittsburgh?

Have used the Stavich trail in New Castle and the one between Lisbon and Leetonia, OH which are nice. Looking to change it up.

Have tried the Montour Trail in Robinson but didn't like the type of gravel for riding.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Sun May 27, 2012 7:15 pm

yough river trail, homie. its all limestone and paved rails to trails from mckeesport all the way down to the border with md. awesome place to ride a bike.

if you are ever out east the five star trail in greensburg off road and paved. goes through some interesting industrial landscape.

for the record, kenny the kangaroo fished the slippery rock last night and caught two smallies and a rainbow. not a bad day but not the best either.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 am

floated down the mighty mighty youghieogheny from Connellsville to the bustling metropolis of Dawson, PA. River was high and moving pretty fast. Did the trip, with minimal paddling, in like 2.5 hours.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

mac5155 wrote:floated down the mighty mighty youghieogheny from Connellsville to the bustling metropolis of Dawson, PA. River was high and moving pretty fast. Did the trip, with minimal paddling, in like 2.5 hours.

Did you fish at all during your trip?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue May 29, 2012 10:39 am

Mountain lions in PA..Yay or nay?

I say yay. My buddy has a camp in Clarion County. Over the past 5 years, multiple people have found cat prints up there that they are say are too big to be a bobcat. They took a picture of the one and took it to their vet, and they said that it was definitely a mountain lion.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
mac5155 wrote:floated down the mighty mighty youghieogheny from Connellsville to the bustling metropolis of Dawson, PA. River was high and moving pretty fast. Did the trip, with minimal paddling, in like 2.5 hours.

nah, I was just in an inflatable raft and dont want to take the chance of poking a hole in it. I didnt realize it was fish-for-free day yesterday, or I would have brought my rod and reel and let the fiancee fish.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 am

mac5155 wrote:

nah, I was just in an inflatable raft and dont want to take the chance of poking a hole in it. I didnt realize it was fish-for-free day yesterday, or I would have brought my rod and reel and let the fiancee fish.

Yeah, I think Labor Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day are all fish for free days in PA.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Mountain lions in PA..Yay or nay?

I say yay. My buddy has a camp in Clarion County. Over the past 5 years, multiple people have found cat prints up there that they are say are too big to be a bobcat. They took a picture of the one and took it to their vet, and they said that it was definitely a mountain lion.

everyone knows someone who knows someone who saw a cat print the size of a bowling ball. has anyone actually had a confirmed sighting? its not all that reasonable to believe they are there, and obviously they are sneaky and tough to detect, but color this gentleman as skeptial of their actual presence.

that being said, when kenny the kangaroo was hiking w/ beardog in poe valley last week, there was a hint of mt lion paranoia.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Mountain lions in PA..Yay or nay?

everyone knows someone who knows someone who saw a cat print the size of a bowling ball. has anyone actually had a confirmed sighting? its not all that reasonable to believe they are there, and obviously they are sneaky and tough to detect, but color this gentleman as skeptial of their actual presence.

that being said, when kenny the kangaroo was hiking w/ beardog in poe valley last week, there was a hint of mt lion paranoia.

I am certainly skeptical of it as well, but where his camp is, it is really secluded, totally away from everything, which is perfect mt lion territory.

On top of that, friends of my parents have a farm about 20 miles from there, and while they have never seen one, they have seen markings of what they believe were mt lions.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am

A quick google search shows that the PA game commision says there are none, but as usual, the common man disagrees with the game commission.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 am

I saw something, not going to call it a mountain lion, when hunting a few years back. It had all the looks of a mountain lion, bigger than a bobcat, but was about 200 yards away up on a rock ledge. As all I had was a crossbow, I was fine with being 200 yards away and didnt feel the need to get any closer.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:A quick google search shows that the PA game commision says there are none, but as usual, the common man disagrees with the game commission.

You'd think the game commission would say there were some, and charge you $40 a tag to hunt them :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 am

mac5155 wrote:I saw something, not going to call it a mountain lion, when hunting a few years back. It had all the looks of a mountain lion, bigger than a bobcat, but was about 200 yards away up on a rock ledge. As all I had was a crossbow, I was fine with being 200 yards away and didnt feel the need to get any closer.

I knew you would reply to the mountain lion question, but thought your answer would be...

Spoiler:
mac5155 wrote:I eat mountain lions for breakfast, after I kill them with my bear hands
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am

mac5155 wrote:I saw something, not going to call it a mountain lion, when hunting a few years back. It had all the looks of a mountain lion, bigger than a bobcat, but was about 200 yards away up on a rock ledge. As all I had was a crossbow, I was fine with being 200 yards away and didnt feel the need to get any closer.

I knew you would reply to the mountain lion question, but thought your answer would be...

Spoiler:
mac5155 wrote:I eat mountain lions for breakfast, after I kill them with my bear hands

I am large, but sadly, my hands do not resemble those of bears. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am

mac5155 wrote:

Spoiler:

I am large, but sadly, my hands do not resemble those of bears. :pop:

That's easy to remedy:
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Meat-Han ... B003IWI66W
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue May 29, 2012 11:38 am

I'm not saying it was a mountain lion

but it was a mountain lion
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am

just finished up an epic 4 day weekend in the great outdoors. Left thursday to go up to Indiana PA to a friend's cabin. Stayed there and camped overnight, then came home and went quad riding from Fayette City to Pizon's bar Friday night. Saturday went down to Cheat lake on my buddy's boat. Sunday, after work, shot 9 holes of golf and went swimming at my buddy's place. Truly awesome weather this weekend too, minus my one buddy getting caught in a hailstorm on his Harley on the way up to the cabin Thursday... looks like he got shot with a paintball gun lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:52 am

also had an epic 4 day weekend in the great outdoors. taught the wife to flyfish this weekend, did some kayaking for the first time. Went up to Kinzua Bridge State park (below before tornado knocked it down). It is truly amazing, haven't seen it for years, not sure if we could build something so incredible like this today, I can see why it was once called the 8th wonder of the world. The state did a very nice job turning it into a park. Also hiked up around Rimrock PA, the mountain laurel is in full bloom and it was beautiful.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/kinzuabridge/index.htm
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 am

My buddy came with us Friday and then went up to his cabin in Kane PA right near Kinzua. He said the bridge is built about halfway now and you can walk out on it til where they have it built up out?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 am

mac5155 wrote:My buddy came with us Friday and then went up to his cabin in Kane PA right near Kinzua. He said the bridge is built about halfway now and you can walk out on it til where they have it built up out?

tis true, they built a glass bottom floor to look down. Really cool that they left the wreckage down below. It's spectacular. I was also in Kane this weekend.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 am

Love going up there. He has a cabin, I believe it's in Lantz's Corner maybe? There's a state police barracks right up there on Route 6 I believe. We go ATV riding up there a lot too. God's country up there.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 am

Went up to my buddy's cabin right outside of Mt. Jewett and Kane, near Lantz Corners PA. Pretty awesome time was had. Quad riding, campfires, and a trip to the Kinzua Bridge to see the new skywalk.

mac5155 in action

finally made it out

Kinzua Bridge Skywalk

Incredible what a tornado can do

Bridge that's still standing

Glass floor. Unfortunately the glass floor was very hazy and also had the texture of diamond plate, so it didn't take a good picture. But that's probably, 1500 feet down?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR