LGP Outdoors Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Outdoors Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I want to go camping with my pooch at some point. Problem is I have one that is high strung and another that would be an awesome camping buddy.

Speaking of, he went and got snipped today. I am hoping he settles down because of that.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Serious question.

Is it legal to hunt deer hand-to-hand year round? At the very least, I'd even allow the hunter to use a knife. Technically it's not archery season and it's not rifle season, and it would be the most challenging of any of the seasons.

Spoiler:
inb4 the deer clip from "When Animals Attack"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

well, this year the state parks are allowing pets in a select few cabins/camping cottages at a handful of parks. kenny the kangaroo would never take the beardog camping in a tent, shes just too big and too unpredictable. but next weekend will be at a camping cottage, which has walls and that is important. so if mac5155 is worried about the dog causing havoc, try out a camping cottage

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... =Dogs#Dogs
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu May 10, 2012 3:15 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:well, this year the state parks are allowing pets in a select few cabins/camping cottages at a handful of parks. kenny the kangaroo would never take the beardog camping in a tent, shes just too big and too unpredictable. but next weekend will be at a camping cottage, which has walls and that is important. so if mac5155 is worried about the dog causing havoc, try out a camping cottage

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/ ... =Dogs#Dogs

What breed of dog is beardog?

I really want to get a second dog (preferably a rottweiler), though my wife isn't too thrilled with the idea, especially of another big dog.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Thu May 10, 2012 3:20 pm

mac5155 wrote:I have so much stuff to get done tomorrow I probably won't go out. I have 2 quads that need repair to bar-hop tomorrow night and a bunch of lawnwork to do. I'll go bass-fishing at some point in the summer.

Has anyone ever gone steelhead fishing? Worth shelling out the cash for a noodle rod?

I go fly fishing for steel head in the snakes up in Erie every winter for the last 6 years. One of the highlights of my year.

Id say its absolutely worth buying a noodle rod. They are fighters and they are intelligent as hell.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:What breed of dog is beardog?

I really want to get a second dog (preferably a rottweiler), though my wife isn't too thrilled with the idea, especially of another big dog.

Not 100% sure, but shes probably an akita/elkhound mix. she checks in at about 75 lbs, so shes elkhound size but has an akita temperment
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm just going to have to give it a year I think. Full grown, calm dog is a 100 lb Golden retriever and hyperactive dog is 40 pound 6 month old german shepherd. (I think there were some questionable breeding involved.. but I unfortunately did not get him from said breeder).
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu May 10, 2012 3:37 pm

I am excited to take my daughter camping this summer for the first time. We already got her a Columbia jacket for rain / cold nights and a kids camping chair. I want to get her a headlight too, as I think they are a must for anyone who goes camping. Plus, it will probably keep her entertained. Thought about getting her a fishing rod, but will probably wait a few years, as I doubt a 1 year old will be all that interested in fishing.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 am

This snake was in my sister-in-laws backyard yesterday. She lives near the Waterfront. Any idea what kind it is? Looks a little dark to be a copperhead.

cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 am

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:This snake was in my sister-in-laws backyard yesterday. She lives near the Waterfront. Any idea what kind it is? Looks a little dark to be a copperhead.

It has the markings of a Timber Rattlesnake but I don't see its' tail. Probably a Northern Copperhead (which is venomous). They have various color stages. Did she get rid of it?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 am

Yeah, I thought it looked like a rattlesnake, but you cant see a rattle in this picture.

I dont think they did anything with it.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 16, 2012 11:27 am

Here is another pic, though it really doesnt give you any more detail...

cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 pm

well that picture is a bit more telling because of the shape of the head. Doesn't look venomous. Probably just a milk snake.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 16, 2012 2:04 pm

mac5155 wrote:well that picture is a bit more telling because of the shape of the head. Doesn't look venomous. Probably just a milk snake.

It doesn't have the viper head. Most likely harmless.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 17, 2012 1:22 pm

kenny the kangaroo just got hooked up with a sweet mountain pie iron. :thumb:

it was made by an outfit based out of west newton, and kenny the kangaroo is going to make some baller sammiches and omlets
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:24 pm

C Palmer? I have one of theirs also. it's amazing.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu May 17, 2012 1:28 pm

So what is this place in West Newton? I am always looking to upgrade my camping gear.

Actually heading out camping this weekend for the first time this year. No wife or baby. Just me, the dog, and 2 of my buddies. Staying at Bear Run near Lake Arthur. Looking forward to fishing on Saturday. Hopefully the bass are hitting.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 pm

mac5155 wrote:C Palmer? I have one of theirs also. it's amazing.

yep. just got the kind with the 2 holders instead of the 1 holder. c palmer is a local company and their stuff is priced the same as the stuff you can buy at dicks. kenny the kangaroo feels like the toaster itself a little bigger on the c palmer one than on the Rome one that kenny the kangaroo used to have.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:50 pm

I have a single mountain pie maker, a mountain-pie-style hotdog maker that works amazing, and I believe they even made the dutch oven I have.

http://www.cpalmermfg.com/
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

any outdoor activities for this upcoming weekend?

the ol' kangaroo is goinng to do some fishing, possibly in the casselman, possibly in the slippery rock.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Thu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:any outdoor activities for this upcoming weekend?

the ol' kangaroo is goinng to do some fishing, possibly in the casselman, possibly in the slippery rock.

swing a lightsaber at a darth vadar pinata while drinking tequila.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Will probably take my daughter fishing again this weekend. We walk to a local lake and catch mostly the fish below. That's a bluegill, right?

Speaking of, she needs a new reel. Any suggestions for a low-cost replacement? We got her one of those Ugly-Stik cheap combos and it's a left-handed reel which isn't reversible. She's right-handed. D'oh.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Godric on Thu May 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Admin wrote:Will probably take my daughter fishing again this weekend. We walk to a local lake and catch mostly the fish below. That's a bluegill, right?

Speaking of, she needs a new reel. Any suggestions for a low-cost replacement? We got her one of those Ugly-Stik cheap combos and it's a left-handed reel which isn't reversible. She's right-handed. D'oh.

Yes thats a Bluegill. :lol: Pound for Pound one of the most fun fish to reel in.

http://www.amazon.com/Zebco-Corp-RBC300 ... 497&sr=8-1

I like bait casting reels ^
Last edited by Godric on Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu May 24, 2012 4:09 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:any outdoor activities for this upcoming weekend?

I went camping / fishing last weekend, so just laying low. Fished Lake Arthur for about 3 hours last Saturday. Caught about 15 blue gill between me and my buddy.

FYI for anyone going to Lake Arthur anytime soon....There were tons of water snakes up there (saw about 5 while fishing plus a huge black snake driving into the park). Not a fan of snakes at all. Id rather share a picnic basket with a grizzly bear than be near any snake. Ive seen more snakes this year than I have in the past decade. My guess is that there are more around this year as a result of the mild winter we had.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Thu May 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Admin wrote:Speaking of, she needs a new reel. Any suggestions for a low-cost replacement? We got her one of those Ugly-Stik cheap combos and it's a left-handed reel which isn't reversible. She's right-handed. D'oh.

Could someone please explain which way is left-handed and which is right? I’m right-handed and generally hold a fishing rod with my right hand and crank the reel with my left. I do that for all types of fishing rods (spinning, fly, etc.) I think I was once told that I’m actually fishing left handed by doing that, but I don’t clearly recall.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

PreviousNext

Return to NHR