The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SEC Tells Texas A&M, "We'll Call You."

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:58 am

Don't get me wrong, WVU has a very good football and basketball program but do they really add value to the SEC?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Don't get me wrong, WVU has a very good football and basketball program but do they really add value to the SEC?

You answered your own question.

Plus their fans travel.

However, I think it's more likely that you see Clemson move to the SEC and WVU take Clemsons place in the ACC.

I'm don't like either move, I think the Big East is a Pretty damn good multi sport conference.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Don't get me wrong, WVU has a very good football and basketball program but do they really add value to the SEC?

I can't answer that. But I've seen their name mentioned numerous times as the 14th member of the SEC to go with A&M.

They do have a recognizable brand, and a good program overall. They have had success, and people will tune in to watch them.

Nothing is as black and white as it seems. I know the Pac 12 would have had an increase in their TV deal this past year, but who would have thought the addition of Utah and CU would have made them the richest conference in the country with regards to tier 1 TV.

WVU may not be the SECs first choice. But I think they want to add someone that would fit in the east, instead of moving teams that are currently in the SEC West. Many ACC teams are out as the SEC voted 6-5 "no" to expand within their footprint, so that knocks out FSU, Clemson, etc. And I think with that, teams like VT, UNC, etc are going to stick with the ACC IMO. So WVU may be backing in, but they are on the list, according to most reports/"rumors" I have read.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 am

newarenanow wrote:Many ACC teams are out as the SEC voted 6-5 "no" to expand within their footprint, so that knocks out FSU, Clemson, etc.

I wouldn't put to much stock in that "vote"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:14 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Many ACC teams are out as the SEC voted 6-5 "no" to expand within their footprint, so that knocks out FSU, Clemson, etc.

Why?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:32 am

Pitt makes more sense that WVU especially since geography is no longer a factor in aligning conferences. I bought Pitt season tickets this season so that I can eventually have decent seats for when PSU plays this decade. But I also had in the back of my mind that it would be nice to have them in case the BE blows up and Pitt gets a call from the ACC/SEC.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Point Breeze Penguins on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

Pitt also fits academically in the ACC.
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am

In that event (WVU moves to SEC) I could see the ACC expanding by taking Pitt and UConn. They'd be a natural rival for BC, and would expand the ACC into the NYC metro area. Just a thought.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 am

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Why?

First, the SEC hasn't admitted that there *was* a vote. (and they're normally pretty good at releasing 'pressers'). Secondly (or SECondly ;) ), the SEC has a long history of talking out both sides of their mouth.

Clemson is a great fit, and the Gamecocks aren't exactly the darlings of the conference brass (sorry Mrs. admin)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:39 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Pitt makes more sense that WVU especially since geography is no longer a factor in aligning conferences. I bought Pitt season tickets this season so that I can eventually have decent seats for when PSU plays this decade. But I also had in the back of my mind that it would be nice to have them in case the BE blows up and Pitt gets a call from the ACC/SEC.

Pitt doesn't travel.

No one wants a team that won't travel.

Especially the ACC. They already learned that lesson with B.C. And Miami.

But you Pitt supporters, just keep dreaming.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 am

thehockeyguru wrote:Pitt makes more sense that WVU especially since geography is no longer a factor in aligning conferences. I bought Pitt season tickets this season so that I can eventually have decent seats for when PSU plays this decade. But I also had in the back of my mind that it would be nice to have them in case the BE blows up and Pitt gets a call from the ACC/SEC.

WVU makes way more sense if you are looking at the SEC. Pitt is not an "SEC type" school.

ACC, I think Pitt makes more sense overall, but WVU is more of a FB brand, and if the ACC needs to make a move to replace a football centric type school if they lose Clemson or FSU, then it will be a FB move regardless of the academic profile, and WVU would probably get the nod.

That is just my opinion and from what I've been reading on messageboards and newsarticles (I know you can't trust either, it is all just "heresay" and opinion), WVU seems like the likely candidate.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 am

jimjom wrote:In that event (WVU moves to SEC) I could see the ACC expanding by taking Pitt and UConn. They'd be a natural rival for BC, and would expand the ACC into the NYC metro area. Just a thought.

I don't see the ACC expanding past 12, especially if they don't lose a team, unless a network or someone comes up to them and says that they'd be willing to offer a ton of money for them to do so.

The ACC seems happy at 12, and probably wouldn't go past that unless a) they lose a team or 2 and feel they need to go bigger to protect themselves or b) the other 3 "power" conferences, the Big 10, SEC, and Pac 12 all do so. As of right now, it seems like the SEC is the only one that has plans to do so.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

I agree with that. The ACC won't go over 12 teams, but I do think that when A&M is added to the SEC an ACC team will come along for the ride. That opens the door for Pitt to the ACC, which they should jump all over.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:33 am

Just from what I've been reading and listening too, I have a feeling Pitt is going to end up in a further weakened BE when this is all done.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 am

newarenanow wrote:Just from what I've been reading and listening too, I have a feeling Pitt is going to end up in a further weakened BE when this is all done.

That would be a huge step backwards for the program. Especially if their only real rival WVU jets for another conference.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 am

So to sum this all up....

WVU has no chance of any other conference because of their academics, but they would be a good fit for SEC

Pitt won't go to B10 because of PSU, so they have a chance at ACC but really Pitt's fan support definitely has to hold them back. I love Pitt, I know this is a pro-town but its kind of emberrasing when I go to games and see the attendance (I always wonder what a top recruit thinks after visiting somewhere like Beaver Stadium and then coming to Heinz Field).
Last edited by IanMoran on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am

IanMoran wrote:Pitt won't go to B10 because of PSU.

?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:53 am

TBH, if the SEC takes a top ACC team the ACC won't be that much stronger than the Big East (although they should still make that move if they can)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 am

So is the theory here that WVU would add PGH as TV Market? Because that seems pretty iffy.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 am

columbia wrote:

?

PSU already covers this market, they are all about expanding the B10 network. Allegheny county has more PSU alums than Pitt
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:20 pm

IanMoran wrote:
columbia wrote:

?

PSU already covers this market, they are all about expanding the B10 network. Allegheny county has more PSU alums than Pitt

Yes, Yes, No.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

pfim wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
columbia wrote:

?

Yes, Yes, No.

I was almost positive the alumni thing was true, although I could be wrong
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm

slappybrown wrote:So is the theory here that WVU would add PGH as TV Market? Because that seems pretty iffy.

It's not even iffy.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm

So hypothetically WVU leaves for the ACC, what do you do if you're Pitt?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby slappybrown on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm

pfim wrote:
slappybrown wrote:So is the theory here that WVU would add PGH as TV Market? Because that seems pretty iffy.

It's not even iffy.

Do WVU games outdraw PSU/Pitt games in the PGH market? Obviously there is addition, but I always thought WVU was third in this market.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR