The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Postby ulf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:15 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Why would anybody watch this crap unless it is on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday night?

Yeah... UVa vs. Duke is a much better game.

ya man can't wait to watch iowa state vs kansas!
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Big East getting bigger: Will soon announce additions of Boise St and SD St football-only, Houston, Cen.Florida and SMU for all sports
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:17 pm

ulf wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Why would anybody watch this crap unless it is on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday night?

ya man can't wait to watch iowa state vs kansas!

Totally agree, another sucky match-up. Why can't we just watch the SEC every day?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ulf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm

At least neither of those is uconn vs rutgers haha.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Totally agree, another sucky match-up. Why can't we just watch the SEC every day?

Vanderbilt vs Miss St?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:29 pm

even if the competition is average, i like watching big ten football. /csb
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:33 pm

big ten football is the equivalent to nascar cars going 30 mph to me. blah
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:35 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

How many times was dook featured in the ACC's 3:30 slot on ABC or Saturday night ESPN or ESPN2 games this season?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Draftnik wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

How many times was dook featured in the ACC's 3:30 slot on ABC or Saturday night ESPN or ESPN2 games this season?

Dunno, there's typically four or five different games on, and my cable system has this thing called a "remote control"... Turns out it comes in pretty handy.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Dunno, there's typically four or five different games on, and my cable system has this thing called a "remote control"... Turns out it comes in pretty handy.

They weren't:

http://lsufootball.net/archives/tvschedule-2011.htm

The ACC's TV partners chose games based on interest. Nobody wants to watch dook besides friends and family.

Nobody is going to want to watch any of the Big East's matchups with or without Boise State in prime TV slots on any of the ABC or ESPN channels. 100% of the Big East's matchups will be undesirable. That isn't the case with the ACC.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Draftnik wrote:They weren't:

http://lsufootball.net/archives/tvschedule-2011.htm

The ACC's TV partners chose games based on interest. Nobody wants to watch dook besides friends and family.

Nobody is going to want to watch any of the Big East's matchups with or without Boise State in prime TV slots on any of the ABC or ESPN channels. 100% of the Big East's matchups will be undesirable. That isn't the case with the ACC.

A quick search shows the only times a Big East game made it to the 3:30 slots on ESPN/ABC or prime time ABC/ESPN were WVU's games against LSU and Rutgers and Cincy/Tennessee. For fairness I should mention ND and South Florida's game played on NBC. I could have missed one. The rest of the Big East games were either internet-only, farmed out to ESPNU, or weekday games. As for the ACC, I count VT/Clemson, VT/Miami, VT/UVA, Miami/tOSU, GT/Miami, Miami/FSU, OU/FSU, FSU/Clemson...I'll stop there. Basically, there were 3 desirable Big East games to ESPN/ACC/Disney, and 2 of them involved a team that won't be in the conference much longer.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:16 pm

I'd count Pitt vs WVU on Thanksgiving Friday night, as that is a different animal compared to the regular Friday nights.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:09 pm

San Diego State in the Big East. Next they'll have to look at Hawaii, then Tokyo.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Rocco wrote:http://yfrog.com/o0w0zknj

That's what the Big East will look like in 2014.

Doesn't look good for the Democrats and Obama.

Wait, wut?
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:34 pm

npv708 wrote:
Rocco wrote:http://yfrog.com/o0w0zknj

That's what the Big East will look like in 2014.

Doesn't look good for the Democrats and Obama.

Wait, wut?

Actually, that would give Obama 271 electoral votes. He'd win thanks to DC.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:San Diego State in the Big East. Next they'll have to look at Hawaii, then Tokyo.

As long as they don't annex Univ of Hawaii the Big East will always be east of the westernmost BCS school :D

Although now that I think about it, the BE commish's comments about multiple time zones being an asset would lend itself to grabbing the Rainbows.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 pm

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see any way that WVU is going to get through this unscathed.

Seems they don't have much of a case. I also tend to agree with the Big East that this should be heard in R.I.

The only thing I don't get, is why the Big East would even want an alienated WVU at this point.

Seems like just a money grab by the folks in Providence.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... vu-lawsuit
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see any way that WVU is going to get through this unscathed.

Seems they don't have much of a case. I also tend to agree with the Big East that this should be heard in R.I.

The only thing I don't get, is why the Big East would even want an alienated WVU at this point.

As any divorce proceeding goes, the money aspect is a big deal as well as dragging the other through the mud in the process--the similarities are pretty evident
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 pm

canaan wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see any way that WVU is going to get through this unscathed.

As any divorce proceeding goes, the money aspect is a big deal as well as dragging the other through the mud in the process--the similarities are pretty evident

I was actually thinking of that analogy when I wrote that post... The Big East really is acting like the scorned ex-spouse, (and quite frankly, WVU is embarrassing itself by rubbing the BE's nose in it)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Draftnik wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:San Diego State in the Big East. Next they'll have to look at Hawaii, then Tokyo.

As long as they don't annex Univ of Hawaii the Big East will always be east of the westernmost BCS school :D

Although now that I think about it, the BE commish's comments about multiple time zones being an asset would lend itself to grabbing the Rainbows.

Poor Marinatto- he wouldn't be making a fool of himself in the media if Pitt would have remained a brave and loyal son and not gone chasing every possible dollar.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:48 am

Rocco wrote:
Draftnik wrote:

Poor Marinatto- he wouldn't be making a fool of himself in the media if Pitt would have remained a brave and loyal son and not gone chasing every possible dollar.

I blame Syracuse.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 am

Have to admit, that comment made me chuckle a bit.

WVU knew the rules. They will need to pay dearly to get out a year early (I don't think anyone believes that all three schools will be there the entire 27 months), unless the BE holds them out of spite. And this is the BE we're talking about, so that's definitely possible.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 am

pfim wrote:

Have to admit, that comment made me chuckle a bit.

WVU knew the rules. They will need to pay dearly to get out a year early (I don't think anyone believes that all three schools will be there the entire 27 months), unless the BE holds them out of spite. And this is the BE we're talking about, so that's definitely possible.

Certainly WVU knew the rules, they helped write them for gods sake.

That doesn't change the fact that the Big East is now trying to get as much money as a "Remedy" for WVU leaving early as they possibly can. If that's not a "money grab" what is it?

I've pointed out a few places where WVU is making a fool of themselves (breaking a contract, being petty about TCU, etc...) and I'll also point out when the Big East is being transparent as well. (money grab)

Despite some others here suggesting WVU will be forced to play 2012 in the Big East, I've always maintained that it's all going to be solved by a transfer of payments (ie. Money Grab).

The unasked question is "How is what any of these programs and conferences doing anything more than a 'money grab'?" and I don't have an answer for that because that's all any of it is.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:37 am

It's absolutely all it is, a money grab. At least 99% of it. The other 1% is stability, but that to leads back to money.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 am

its not a money grab as so much as it is getting what they deserve for a program not abiding by the bylaws set forth. the term "money grab" somehow lends to the connotation that the big east is just trying to stick it to them, as opposed to getting what is actually owed for disloyalty to the contract.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR