The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Official LGP College Football Realignment Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 am

canaan wrote:its not a money grab as so much as it is getting what they deserve for a program not abiding by the bylaws set forth. the term "money grab" somehow lends to the connotation that the big east is just trying to stick it to them, as opposed to getting what is actually owed for disloyalty to the contract.

Well Canaan, they're not really looking to force WVU to stay in the league next year, they're (as you say) looking for "what's owed".

That's money.

I think it would be awesome if something could be worked out between the Big 12 and WVU where WVU could go back to the Big East and say "OK, the Big 12 is fine with waiting until 2013, we'll stay in the Big East for 2012". :slug: To call the BE's bluff so to speak. The BE doesn't really want that, they want $$$.

You can say it's just what they're owed, but that amount hasn't been pre-determined. At this point the BE is going to try and get the biggest settlement possible.

If you want to defend the BE and say thats not a 'Money Grab', that's your right. I don't think too many here would agree though.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:12 pm

canaan wrote:its not a money grab as so much as it is getting what they deserve for a program not abiding by the bylaws set forth. the term "money grab" somehow lends to the connotation that the big east is just trying to stick it to them, as opposed to getting what is actually owed for disloyalty to the contract.

This is true as well. I don't blame the BE for what they are doing. They expected all teams to be there for 27 months. One wants to move on sooner w/o a mutual agreement. But at the end of the day, $$$ makes all the decisions.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:26 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Well Canaan, they're not really looking to force WVU to stay in the league next year, they're (as you say) looking for "what's owed".

That's money.

I think it would be awesome if something could be worked out between the Big 12 and WVU where WVU could go back to the Big East and say "OK, the Big 12 is fine with waiting until 2013, we'll stay in the Big East for 2012". :slug: To call the BE's bluff so to speak. The BE doesn't really want that, they want $$$.

You can say it's just what they're owed, but that amount hasn't been pre-determined. At this point the BE is going to try and get the biggest settlement possible.

If you want to defend the BE and say thats not a 'Money Grab', that's your right. I don't think too many here would agree though.

i dont know about that. they want to retain their AQ for the BCS without being demoted to mid major status...retaining a specific number of teams plays into that, no? after the 2013 season, they will try to argue their "big conference" status with the inclusion of the aforementioned Boise st, SDSU, etc. will they be successful? doubt it, but i dont think its just a "lets rawdog WVU, SYR, and PITT", but im not naive to say that its not part of the deal. im not defending the Big East, just looking at it from a perspective of somebody who is looking at it "from the outside"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:27 pm

take that post as questioning because i dont know the whole process, not asking questions to snark.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I wouldn't expect the BE (or any other conference, is this was to happen to them) to do anything differently...they aren't a charity. They're losing three of their best schools, of course they want money.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:31 pm

My understanding is, and I could be completely off base, because I can't find no definitive articles supporting this but:

The Big East is holding Pitt, Cuse and WVU because these replacements are not coming until the 2013 season. If they drop below 8, they are no longer eligible for BCS AQ status. I think the minimum teams is 8. So with no one else coming in next year, they are going to fight like hell to stay within the rules for AQ status. That is a $18MM guaranteed payday they will lose out on.

I think once these teams come in in 2013, at the very least, WVU will be released as the BE will be at 13 members. It's rumored Navy and Air Force have some things to work out, but could be in a FB only memebers by 2014. So that may be when they let Pitt and Cuse go (they have to anyways).

In the end, I'm sure somethings will be worked out and WVU will be let go, but I don't think Pitt and Cuse will. But I dont' blame the BE at all for doing what they are doing. They are looking out for themselves, just like WVU, Pitt and Cuse all did, which is completely fine.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:37 pm

canaan wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

That's money.

i dont know about that. they want to retain their AQ for the BCS without being demoted to mid major status...retaining a specific number of teams plays into that, no? after the 2013 season, they will try to argue their "big conference" status with the inclusion of the aforementioned Boise st, SDSU, etc. will they be successful? doubt it, but i dont think its just a "lets rawdog WVU, SYR, and PITT", but im not naive to say that its not part of the deal. im not defending the Big East, just looking at it from a perspective of somebody who is looking at it "from the outside"

Not taking it as a 'snark'. But I appreciate that you recognized that it could be taken that way, thanks (sincerely).

You bring up a good point about the AQ status. I don't think I've ever seen any definition of what it takes to maintain that AQ status.
Does anyone have info on this? NAN maybe?

I would think that the BCS wouldn't revoke it because the BE fell short one year. Suspend, maybe, but to revoke it when they know that the conference is expanding in 2013? Not unless they've been looking for an excuse anyway.

(edit: I took a phone call while writing this post and didn't see NAN's earlier response... thanks NAN. Is there anyweay to confirm the 8 team requirement?)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:40 pm

WVU signed a contract, which includes an obligation to abide by all league regulations, no?
WVU needs to either stay or pay the alimony.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:41 pm

newarenanow wrote:My understanding is, and I could be completely off base, because I can't find no definitive articles supporting this but:

The Big East is holding Pitt, Cuse and WVU because these replacements are not coming until the 2013 season. If they drop below 8, they are no longer eligible for BCS AQ status. I think the minimum teams is 8. So with no one else coming in next year, they are going to fight like hell to stay within the rules for AQ status. That is a $18MM guaranteed payday they will lose out on.

I think once these teams come in in 2013, at the very least, WVU will be released as the BE will be at 13 members. It's rumored Navy and Air Force have some things to work out, but could be in a FB only memebers by 2014. So that may be when they let Pitt and Cuse go (they have to anyways).

In the end, I'm sure somethings will be worked out and WVU will be let go, but I don't think Pitt and Cuse will. But I dont' blame the BE at all for doing what they are doing. They are looking out for themselves, just like WVU, Pitt and Cuse all did, which is completely fine.

Didn't the BE drop below 8 after VT & Miami left but before Cinci/L'Ville/USF came? I think they're fine for a year or two before they get back up to 8..
Last edited by ulf on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:42 pm

columbia wrote:WVU signed a contract, which includes an obligation to abide by all league regulations, no?
WVU needs to either stay or pay the alimony.

No question... the problem is that no 'remedy' seems to have been defined in the contract, so now the question is how much?

WVU says zero, the BE says a Gizzilion. The real answer is somewhere in the middle.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:56 pm

ulf wrote:Didn't the BE drop below 8 after VT & Miami left but before Cinci/L'Ville/USF came? I think they're fine for a year or two before they get back up to 8..

After thinking about it, I think they did for 1 year. Probably had to get a waiver.

That is why I think WVU may be able to get out, but Pitt and Cuse won't, because the BE would be down to 5.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ulf wrote:Didn't the BE drop below 8 after VT & Miami left but before Cinci/L'Ville/USF came? I think they're fine for a year or two before they get back up to 8..

After thinking about it, I think they did for 1 year. Probably had to get a waiver.

That is why I think WVU may be able to get out, but Pitt and Cuse won't, because the BE would be down to 5.

That would be amazing to me... if Pitt and 'Cuse honor the contract and WVU doesn't. Especially after all the public whining that the University and their fans did over Rich Fraud breaking his contract. ("In West Virginia, a man's still as good as his word"...) :face:

I'm so disappointed in their hypocrisy I can't even begin to tell you...
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:02 pm

^^^

I didn't want to have to mention that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:04 pm

columbia wrote:^^^

It's like the elephant in the room... how can you not? :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:^^^

It's like the elephant in the room... how can you not? :)

I thought that's what we have Rocco for?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 pm

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011 ... cc-/?print

Clemson president said ACCs new TV contract will significantly reduce the gap between the current ACC pay and the other BCS conferences.

Also said that ACC is happy at 14, and will only expand to 15/16 if it brings in a strong FB members (ie. ND).

Finally, said they have had no contact from the SEC via any avenue and are very happy in the ACC.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 pm

newarenanow wrote:http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/dec/03/clemson-president-wants-ad-phillips-stay-says-acc-/?print

Clemson president said ACCs new TV contract will significantly reduce the gap between the current ACC pay and the other BCS conferences.

Also said that ACC is happy at 14, and will only expand to 15/16 if it brings in a strong FB members (ie. ND).

Finally, said they have had no contact from the SEC via any avenue and are very happy in the ACC.

Clearly a sign that Clemson and FSU are heading to the SEC and the ACC will disintegrate. The programs will end up in orbit around Marinatto.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/dec/03/clemson-president-wants-ad-phillips-stay-says-acc-/?print

Clearly a sign that Clemson and FSU are heading to the SEC and the ACC will disintegrate. The programs will end up in orbit around Marinatto.

FSU and VT are heading to the SEC. Clemson is just saying that because they are going to be stuck.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Draftnik wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:San Diego State in the Big East. Next they'll have to look at Hawaii, then Tokyo.

As long as they don't annex Univ of Hawaii the Big East will always be east of the westernmost BCS school :D

Although now that I think about it, the BE commish's comments about multiple time zones being an asset would lend itself to grabbing the Rainbows.

Poor Marinatto- he wouldn't be making a fool of himself in the media if Pitt would have remained a brave and loyal son and not gone chasing every possible dollar.

I blame Syracuse.

They were seduced by the silver forked traitorous tongue of Nordenberg. But in 2 years you'll be ACC so I'll accept you as one of our own then.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Rocco wrote:They were seduced by the silver forked traitorous tongue of Nordenberg. But in 2 years you'll be ACC so I'll accept you as one of our own then.

I blame the ACC for putting the tempation out there.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:41 pm

rocco, you in this thread is 60% of the reason why i read it.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Didn't you read this years Orange Bowl contract? There's an "Anita Bryant" 'day without sunshine' clause that allows the Winning team to be "outted" from their conference contract immediately.

Both Clemson and WVU now have a real incentive going into this game... :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:08 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:They were seduced by the silver forked traitorous tongue of Nordenberg. But in 2 years you'll be ACC so I'll accept you as one of our own then.

Pitt came to the ACC. They begged their way in. What was the ACC to do? It was only Christian of them to provide a home to lost souls.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Pitt came to the ACC. They begged their way in. What was the ACC to do? It was only Christian of them to provide a home to lost souls.

The ACC came to Pitt and told them they were taking Syracuse and they were willing to take them along as well to round out to 14. Pitt begrudgingly had to go in order to survive as a major program.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I'd love to hear your explanation as to what happened to this benevolence when it came to WVU? :) :) :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR