Pics I took in Hawaii

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pics I took in Hawaii

Postby DMcGrew on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:44 pm

Just got back from my honeymoon in Hawaii a little more than a week ago. What an absolutely killer place Hawaii is, Maui to be exact. The scenery and weather is absolutely unbelievable. I cannot wait to go back... hopefully sooner rather than later. We got to see the sunrise from the top of a 10,000 foot tall dormant volcano (Mt. Haleakala) which is freaking spectacular with the clouds below you. We also took a helicopter flight over to Molokai and saw some HUGE sea cliffs and waterfalls. One of the waterfalls was in one of the Jurassic Park movies. Also took a submarine tour that went 129 feet under the water and did some snorkeling with sea turtles and some crazy looking fish. Here are some pics.....

Mt. Haleakala Sunrise by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_3530 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_3646 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_3655 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_3804-2 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_3909 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

Look Ma... NO DOORS!! by DMcGrew, on Flickr

ahhh right before the doors off helicopter ride by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4005 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4075 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4099 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4166 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4278 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_0107 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

DSC03688 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_4352 by DMcGrew, on Flickr

IMG_2986 by DMcGrew, on Flickr
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pics I took in Hawaii

Postby DMcGrew on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Oh.. here's a short clip from the chopper.. with Batman music of course LOL

DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:03 am

FanTASTIC shots!!!! Those sunrise shots from Haleakala are breathtaking.

Been to Maui a couple times; love it, as I think it offers the best combination of amenities and 'remoteness' (i.e. not crowded).

Where did you guys stay? I've stayed in Ka'anapali and Kahana in the past, but have also visited the south end of the island.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 am

those first 2, wtf. thats from earth? hope you dont mind me using that as my new background.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:14 am

tifosi77 wrote:FanTASTIC shots!!!! Those sunrise shots from Haleakala are breathtaking.

Been to Maui a couple times; love it, as I think it offers the best combination of amenities and 'remoteness' (i.e. not crowded).

Where did you guys stay? I've stayed in Ka'anapali and Kahana in the past, but have also visited the south end of the island.

We stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali. Loved that area. So many places to eat in nearby Lahaina too. We went to the Makena area on our last day there and didn't really find it as nice as the Kaanapali area. We just drove through though.. so I'm sure thats not a fair assessment.
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cagsjr724 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am

Awesome pics!!!
Cagsjr724
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am

Kaizer wrote:those first 2, wtf. thats from earth? hope you dont mind me using that as my new background.

LOL.. thanks :) Greatest compliment I can receive is when somebody makes one of my photos their desktop background. :fist:
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ILikeTurtles on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:20 am

Wow nice shots, and how lucky of you to be able to take a trip like that. That first picture is absolutely mind blowing.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 am

Here's one of us.. Image
DSC00772 by DMcGrew, on Flickr
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 am

This shot of the stars is ridiculous. You could see a lot of stars from 10,000 feet and non-poluted skies.. but the amount of stars the camera picks up is pretty wild.

Mt. Haleakala Stars by DMcGrew, on Flickr
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:07 am

Where in Maui did u stay?

Me and the mrs did maui (and the big island) in may for our honeymoon. If I have time ill try to post some of my pics too.
Last edited by npv708 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 am

Those are not the honeymoon pictures I was hoping to see. Those first two pictures are amazing.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 am

:thumb: Those sky shots from Haleakala are incredible.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 am

Wow...I think I hate you now...I've always wanted to go to Hawaii...someday I suppose.

Does anyone who has gone care to share the what you can expect price wise for an average trip (aka not having to do the most luxurious and expensive things, but not staying for 2 nights and living in a tent on the beach).
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:26 am

I'm not sure if these will show up like this, if not I'll try another way. We were there about 12 days and I think I ended up with around 3200 pics total between the two of us.

npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 am

JeffDFD wrote:Wow...I think I hate you now...I've always wanted to go to Hawaii...someday I suppose.

Does anyone who has gone care to share the what you can expect price wise for an average trip (aka not having to do the most luxurious and expensive things, but not staying for 2 nights and living in a tent on the beach).

If I wouldn't get arrested, i'd be all about living in a tent on the beach.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:09 am

What about a van down by the ocean?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:28 am

Those are amazing pics.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am

DMcGrew wrote:We stayed at the Sheraton in Kaanapali. Loved that area. So many places to eat in nearby Lahaina too. We went to the Makena area on our last day there and didn't really find it as nice as the Kaanapali area. We just drove through though.. so I'm sure thats not a fair assessment.

Okay, so you were right at Black Rock; I know the area somewhat. The first time I went (back in 2000) I stayed at the Westin, which is like two or three properties south. (Company trip, no way I could afford that place on my own dime) I went to the Whaler's Village one day and hit the McDonald's for a Big Mac value meal and it was like $8 or something stupid like that..... island living, baby...! Woot! :thumb:

Did you guys get to go out to Molokini Crater? The day we went the surf was up and it was really choppy; we dropped anchor on our snorkel boat and got wet, only for the divemaster to call time on us after about five minutes as the waves were just too big. But those five minutes.... oh my god........ water visibility of well over 100 feet, sea life galore, fishes, eels, it was amazing. And I don't like using that word very much. It's the only area that's a national park below the water, on land and in the air. And for good reason. The place is insane.

If you guys ever get to go back again, give the south part of the island another try. It's a completely different vibe, yet equally nice in its touristy appointments. Wailea and Kihei are great, and I'll always have fond memories of Makena as friends of ours got married there (the reason for my second trip to the island in 2006). I find the south part of the island to be much more laid back and relaxing than Ka'anapali..... which is not meant as a slag off on the northern resort areas, just more of an observational thing. Ka'anapali and Lahaina are great, too, just different.

I don't know why, but one of the things that makes me laugh about Maui is there's a Costco way out by Kahalui Airport. For some reason, I think this is silly.

JeffDFD wrote:Does anyone who has gone care to share the what you can expect price wise for an average trip (aka not having to do the most luxurious and expensive things, but not staying for 2 nights and living in a tent on the beach).

About three miles north of Ka'anapali (where McGrew - and I - stayed, separately) is an area called Kahana. We stayed there the second time I visited Maui and I have to say it was pretty heavy in the bang-for-the-buck department. The Royal Outrigger has rooms for ~$150/night during early summer, which - compared to the rest of the island - is pretty crazy cheap. The Westin (where I first stayed) is about $330/night for the same June dates and, as I said, the two places are all of three miles apart (give or take). The only real downside to Kahana is the beach area is practically non-existent. It goes from pool deck to beach to neck-deep ocean water in like 40 feet; it's a pretty steep grade. Even Ka'anapali is kind of steep, but nothing like that.

Anyway, there's so much to see and do away from the hotel that the amenities provided by the resort are (to me) almost a non-factor. Is it clean? Can I see the ocean from my room? Will it cost less than the soul my first born child? Then I'm in.

Maui's great.

SolidSnake wrote:What about a van down by the ocean?

Thrice divorced?

:P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 am

Rylan wrote:Those are amazing pics.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:04 am

incredible stuff...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby DMcGrew on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:11 am

JeffDFD wrote:Wow...I think I hate you now...I've always wanted to go to Hawaii...someday I suppose.

We stayed at the Sheraton for 8 days.. it ended up costing about $4800 (flight included). This is with a pretty steeply upgraded room though.. I believe it was about $90 extra per night for the ocean view. If/when you go make sure you have at least another $1000 in spending money. The food there is ridiculously expensive and so are the activities. Be prepared to drop at least $100 per day... unless you like McDonalds and Burger King a lot. Most of the food was pretty amazing and worth it though. I bet you could do an entire week for under $3000 if you did everything on the super "cheap."
DMcGrew
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

Damn, awesome pics. Have always wanted to go....this might push me in that direction. I see Orion in your picture :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 am

DMcGrew wrote:

We stayed at the Sheraton for 8 days.. it ended up costing about $4800 (flight included). This is with a pretty steeply upgraded room though.. I believe it was about $90 extra per night for the ocean view. If/when you go make sure you have at least another $1000 in spending money. The food there is ridiculously expensive and so are the activities. Be prepared to drop at least $100 per day... unless you like McDonalds and Burger King a lot. Most of the food was pretty amazing and worth it though. I bet you could do an entire week for under $3000 if you did everything on the super "cheap."

I second this. We spent 12 days split between the Big Island and Maui. We stayed in Kapalua in a villa, but DMcGrew is absolutely correct about the cost, food is outright ridiculous, but definitely worth it. Thankfully we had a place called the Pineapple Grill within a minute drive, which was reasonable, recommended, and delicious. Total cost w/o food/gas was a little over $6,000 for flights, lodging, and a car for the entire trip.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 am

Those pics are like Windows desktop material.. haha
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR