2011 Official LGP HDTV Buying Guide

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2011 Official LGP HDTV Buying Guide

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 am

you shouldve seen the online training we did for the Elite tvs (the Sharp-Pioneer joint venture). these things have an $8000 list price for the 70" that is kinda sorta negotiable.

all of the material was about how to sell the Elite brand name - look for people who are concerned about bragging that they own the best, people who have conspicuous brand names like Polo on them, perfectionists, etc. the 3D glasses are the same as the normal Sharp ones, they just cost several times as much.

if you have an unlimited budget those are [probably] the nicest tv's available right now. it would be a toss up between that, the Sony HX929, and the Panasonic VT30.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:you shouldve seen the online training we did for the Elite tvs (the Sharp-Pioneer joint venture). these things have an $8000 list price for the 70" that is kinda sorta negotiable.

all of the material was about how to sell the Elite brand name - look for people who are concerned about bragging that they own the best, people who have conspicuous brand names like Polo on them, perfectionists, etc. the 3D glasses are the same as the normal Sharp ones, they just cost several times as much.

if you have an unlimited budget those are [probably] the nicest tv's available right now. it would be a toss up between that, the Sony HX929, and the Panasonic VT30.

those are LCD's though, right? blech
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:26 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:the 80 inch tvs are the LE632 model. just for reference, the 60" sells for around $1400 and most of the stores have the 70" for $2000 this week.

its a nice enough tv especially for the price/size, but its probably closer to a 5 or 6 out of 10 on the over all picture quality scale. id caution anyone whos thinking of buying a 60+" tv to really consider their space. if its a large family or basement game room it will be fine, but if youre just trying to get the largest tv you can into a smallish room you will probably be dissapointed. standard def material (dvds) look horrible on an 80", and so does a lot of "hd" content. the mitigating factor is how far away you are sitting from it. the further the better it looks.

few companies are making LCD models above 46" now. so you're going to be buying either an LED or a plasma at 60+" for the same price the plasma tv you buy is going to be much higher quality, but you mentioned not wanting one. my general opinion is that on the lower end the LED tvs have too many extra issues (blooming, clouding, flashlighting - look these up).

Right now the prices on a lot of tv's are really lousy. The 60" Samsung D6000, our stores best selling tv of 2011, was $1500 Thanksgiving week. It's $2100 now. The good prices you find are on things that stores have already quit buying and are selling off their back inventory - making them harder to actually find new in a box.

My store has the 55" Sony NX720 for $1600 this week, and it's going down another $100 next week (if you can still find one). It was one of CNet's two editor's picks for 2011 (along with the Samsung D7000 plasma). I think of all the prices in our store that has to be the best one I've seen since Christmas.

A 60" Panasonic ST30 (plasma) is around $1500 and thats a great deal on an above average tv.

Most of Samsung's prices right now are pretty lousy. I think the stores still have a lot of stock on them and are trying to clear out some of the other brands before they get to their Samsung stock.

Pittsoccer:

Allow me to clarify about what I want...

I am not against Plasma...I just thought they weren't a good idea in birghtly lit rooms. Is this less of an issue now?

I probably meant to say LED or LCD. I don't know a lot about the LED's because some say LED LCD on them...can you explain the difference? And are you suggesting NOT getting an LED unless it is one of the top end ($2000+) models?

I want a big TV for my sunroom which is a sizeable room so 60+ is not a problem...it is a bright room and I want to use it to watch some HD TV, probably some movies, and xbox 360. Is there something you would suggest? I mentioned the 70 inch sharp at Besy Buy because Costco has it for 1850 instead of 2000. What would you buy if you were in my boat? And, if you only like the real high end stuff...what do you think is the best deal (price to quality wise) for my scenario?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:The Samsung 550 plasma has fairly lousy colors, but I understand the 6000 series to be pretty good and the 7000 was one of CNets top two "if a normal person asked what tv I should buy, id tell them this one" picks

Plasma colors are warmer than LED - think of it like comparing a soft table lamp and an office fluorescent light. The plasma colors tend to be more accurate whereas LEDs oversaturate. The LEDs jump at your so much more on a show floor than plasma because of the store's lighting. Best Buy's Magnolia rooms are the best place to try looking at a tv, but they only usually have their most expensive setups in there.

I believe I have the 51" samsung 550 plasma. For $600 out the door w/ my fiancees discount @ wallyworld, it has been all I can ask for and more

<knock on wood>
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am

mac5155 wrote:I believe I have the 51" samsung 550 plasma. For $600 out the door w/ my fiancees discount @ wallyworld, it has been all I can ask for and more

<knock on wood>

you have a 450 :wink:

JeffDFD wrote:
I am not against Plasma...I just thought they weren't a good idea in birghtly lit rooms. Is this less of an issue now?

I probably meant to say LED or LCD. I don't know a lot about the LED's because some say LED LCD on them...can you explain the difference? And are you suggesting NOT getting an LED unless it is one of the top end ($2000+) models?

I'm definitely no quality snob- i think most of what we sell has a really nice picture.

You are right about plasma and brightly lit rooms. I dislike watching mine with the lamp on in the room or with the curtains opened. Some of the nicer ones have filters over them that sort of obscure the light. you will notice that when you look at them in the store - see if the stores lights glare clearly or are fuzzed out. the newest plasmas can get bright enough to overcome ambient light, but reflections still bug many people.

LED/LCD is like saying all squares are rombuses but rhombuses arent squares

both of them have LCD panels. they use liquid crystals to create the colors. the difference is the way those colors are illuminated. LCD uses a single floruscent light in the back of the set. LEDs use thousands of diodes, typically around the perimeter. the most expensive LEDs have them behind the screen.

my opinion on LED changed drastically after my cousins bought an LG LW5300 (a lower end LED model) on black friday. the tv looked great in our store, and i thought actually seeing it do 3D in a properly lit home setting was amazing.

HOWEVER, when we put something on it shot at 2.35:1 (so it had black bars) you could see cloudiness in the corners. it almost looks like the black bars arent really black, they're foggy. that is because of the way LED lighting works. they can be less uniform in the way they distribute color and light.

For what they paid for that tv they could have had a Panasonic ST30 at the same size, which had a much more uniform picture (though I do think LG's 3D is the best going at this point).

If most of your tv watching is cable and occasionally movies and video gaming I think you will be happy with that Sharp. Sharp's Vyper Drive mode is probably the best regarded video game mode in the industry. It shuts off all image processing to give the fastest response time from when you press a button on the controller to when you see that action on the screen.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I believe I have the 51" samsung 550 plasma. For $600 out the door w/ my fiancees discount @ wallyworld, it has been all I can ask for and more

<knock on wood>

you have a 450 :wink:

touche :pop:

(i thought the 450 was the black friday model? or was it the 350?)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:51 am

403. gotta keep up with samsung's 10,000 different model lines 8-)
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 am

If most of your tv watching is cable and occasionally movies and video gaming I think you will be happy with that Sharp. Sharp's Vyper Drive mode is probably the best regarded video game mode in the industry. It shuts off all image processing to give the fastest response time from when you press a button on the controller to when you see that action on the screen.

So you think the sharp 70" is pretty good getting it at 1850? Any problems I can expect? There is also another sharp 70" that is 2400 and it has the "quattron" whatever blah blah. I have heard that it is not that big of a deal so for the extra cost it wouldn't be worth it. What say you on that?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:41 am

at $1850 thats a really good price, especially since costco doubles your warranty and then sells an additional 3 year squaretrade service plan for something like $99.

quattron is a lot of marketing talk. some of those sets have additional benefits (better contrast) but nothing to empty your wallet over. id rather put the money into a good surround sound system and bluray player.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:53 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The Samsung 550 plasma has fairly lousy colors, but I understand the 6000 series to be pretty good and the 7000 was one of CNets top two "if a normal person asked what tv I should buy, id tell them this one" picks

Plasma colors are warmer than LED - think of it like comparing a soft table lamp and an office fluorescent light. The plasma colors tend to be more accurate whereas LEDs oversaturate. The LEDs jump at your so much more on a show floor than plasma because of the store's lighting. Best Buy's Magnolia rooms are the best place to try looking at a tv, but they only usually have their most expensive setups in there.

The one I looked at was a 6500. Is it possible that the TV wasn't calibrated and therefore didn't impress me, or do they typically calibrate the in-house TVs to give the best picture to potential buyers? Or is it possible that the lighting threw me off?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:02 pm

there is a prompt on most tv's as soon as you turn them on for the first time asking if the tv will be in a home or in a store. the store mode maxes out all of the settings. the manufacturer reps routinely come in and make sure theyre set that way too.

i don't have a 6500 in my store but i have a pretty good opinion of it. it would compete with a panasonic st30 or maybe gt30
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Maybe I'll give it a second chance.

Want to try grabbing one before Super Bowl Sunday.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:14 am

I now own a 70" TV.

America...&*$# yeah.

Thanks for the help Pittsoccer. I have not set it up yet because we need to clean up and set up the room...as well as other parts of the house (gotta help the wife...I did just get a huge TV). It's like anticipating Christmas right now. It is Giant TV Eve tonight.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:16 am

I miss my giant tv. I like my 37" Sony but damn I miss my 57"
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:56 am

JeffDFD wrote:I now own a 70" TV.

America...&*$# yeah.

Thanks for the help Pittsoccer. I have not set it up yet because we need to clean up and set up the room...as well as other parts of the house (gotta help the wife...I did just get a huge TV). It's like anticipating Christmas right now. It is Giant TV Eve tonight.

the wifi in the tv works pretty good but if you have any way possible to get an ethernet wire to the tv's location you will probably be happier with the performance. the first firmware/app update will take a while so be ready for it.

have fun with it. i always recommend picking up the Disney World of Wonder bluray disc with a new tv. i wish it was something netflix rented. its basically a do it yourself calibration tool (digital video essentials is another excellent one) that will help you adjust optimal levels by showing you real images and telling you to adjust a given setting until you can see something/not see something any more. a good tool for anybody.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 am

JeffDFD wrote:I now own a 70" TV.

America...&*$# yeah.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/ ... -p-13.html

Did some sniffing around on the avsforum and it appears quite a few people love the new Sharp stuff and agreed that if it's calibrated properly, there isn't much of a jump from the 632 to a 732. Was never really sold on Sharp's stuff, but if the AVS nerds like it (and I mean nerds as a compliment), then it can't be too bad.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 am

sharp makes a ton of lcd panels for a lot of manufacturs, from cell phones to medical devices. they made them for sony until the sony-samsung joint venture (those two made screens in the same factory until just recently when sony pulled out). i think sony xbr panels (considered the best lcds ever) were done by Sharp. dont quote me on that though.

sharp just built a next generation factory in japan. that is what is allowing them to produce these huge screens at relatively low prices - they can simply cut them much larger.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:02 am

regarding quattron, here is the real deal breakdown on it:

all digital video is created using coding that assumes RED, GREEN, and BLUE pixels. the color data mixes them to form a standardized number of colors. quattron displays in stores talk about all the new colors they can show, but how can they show a color that isnt in the original video encode?

when a quattron tv is set to do no extra processing, the yellow data is sent directly to the yellow sub pixel. it shouldnt in theory look any different than any other other properly calibrated display. the image processing modes are what introduce all the of the extra colors. thats the stuff the avs types hate.

this is where people begin arguing. no diehard avs poster will admit to liking a samsung led. samsung basically overclocks their displays and oversaturates their colors. their colors are very "inaccurate." thats part of why on every samsung tv display you see shrek, megamind, and how to train your dragon. you have no real world basis to compare those colors to.

i think they look great though. they are very vibrant and pack a ton of features for the price. LGs rep loves to talk about how their panel is superior to the Samsung one and can be professionally calibrated to look better, but its hard to convince someone of that on the showroom floor when they can see two of them right next to each other, showing the same video feed, priced at the same price.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Bad news. Took it out and set it up...and it wont turn on. Called them up and he had me do a couple things to get it on for a second and it immediately shut off. Then they said they needed to service it and I told them they don't need my address because I am not going to service a brand new TV.

So I am taking it back to Costco.

The question I have now...fluke and I should get another one of the same thing? Or back to the drawing board.

Thoughts?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm

i am inclined to say fluke. thats not normal behavior on any television. i have not read or heard anything about some kind of mass sharp 632 series problem.

however, this is exactly why stores sell extended service plans. all of these televisions are mass produced on assembly lines and can/will have problems.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, I got the extended plan. Manufacturer gives you 1 yr, Costco extends it to 2...and for $99 (based on TV price) you can get an extra 3 years. $33 a year is pretty good. Isn't best buys like $400? Haha. I am going to go to the store and swap it for a different one later today.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm

$749 for 5 years at my store...

granted they don't cover the exact same things, and if 4 years from now you have a problem you might be getting a refurbished item (read that carefully) still $99 to guarantee a $2000 invest for 5 years is almost a no brainer.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:54 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Bad news. Took it out and set it up...and it wont turn on. Called them up and he had me do a couple things to get it on for a second and it immediately shut off. Then they said they needed to service it and I told them they don't need my address because I am not going to service a brand new TV.

So I am taking it back to Costco.

The question I have now...fluke and I should get another one of the same thing? Or back to the drawing board.

Thoughts?

Do me a favor and mark the box with a sharpie near the bar code. I don't want to pick up the same box.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:17 pm

New TV instantly worked! Good stuff. Had some people over and it was a hit. My bro in law who is living with us for a little bit is going to set up his xbox kinect on it....should be fun. I am happy with the purchase so far for sure. There were 55 and 60 inch TV's that were more expensive but I do not care about 3d and this was on sale so it was a no brainer.

Again, thanks for the help!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby eddysnake on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:09 pm

My pop has it narrowed down to Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 and Panasonic TC-PVT30, but keeps going back in forth. Both seems mighty excellent. Any help on this?

His room is narrow, no bad angles, everything is head on and stays pretty dark. Mostly for watching sports and movies. He's intrigued by the "internet" tv which it appears the panny has more features. Personally, I like plasmas better, but haven't really been keeping up with the technology over the last 8 months.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR