New iPhone coming..

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New iPhone coming..

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:35 am

www.macrumors.com has all kinds of leaks and mockups.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 am

columbia wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Any leaks yet? Two days...

Spoiler:

looks like the ad for this thing has been leaked:

Spoiler:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/ipho ... announced/

I am not impressed to be honest. Great, they added an LTE radio and made the screen taller. Yay for panoramic instagram photos.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 pm

what does lte mean
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:what does lte mean

4G LTE.. which pittsburgh currently does not have (on ATT.. I believe Verizon does have it). ATT users get HSPA which is basically souped up 3G.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Not to mention, if you want to use your current ipod dock, you have to buy a bulky connector that will probably break easily.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:13 pm

LTE means they're going to get sued for it

from a hardware perspective its an underwhelming phone. The Nokia 920 looks superior to it in every way.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

why would they get sued/
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 pm

also extremely clever move by apple to make a new cord. everyone will have to buy new gadetry now. free money
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:18 pm

when is the release date
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:why would they get sued/

Samsung owns the patents for the LTE radio they use (this is the laymans version admittedly I don't know the whole story)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm

HTC and Motorola (and I guess Google too?) all own various patents regarding LTE

On a somewhat related (and interesting/bizarre) note Tmobile is going to begin officially supporting, but not selling, the iPhone. If you show up to their store with an unlocked (or jailbroken) iPhone they will set you up with a microsim (something I think theyve been doing) and will offer you a cheaper data plan for bringing your own phone, as well as some custom Tmobile subscriber only apps.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

My Droid X is starting to show signs of its age. I quite like the droid but have some other apple devices that would make a switch to the iphone nice. Also the NHL 13 HUT app is only available ios. :slug:

What is the best android phone out there right now and how does it compare to this iPhone 5?

Also, can anyone explain what my options are for keeping unlimited data plan at Verizon. I have heard that once I upgrade I can no longer have the benefit of this?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Kraftster wrote:Also, can anyone explain what my options are for keeping unlimited data plan at Verizon. I have heard that once I upgrade I can no longer have the benefit of this?

You could outright buy your device for $600ish an still keep it.

Best Android phones would be the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung (which you can buy unlocked direct from Google Play for $350 - an immeasurably great value), the Samsung Galaxy S3, and the HTC One S and One X (slight differences vary by carrier).

My next phone is definitely going to be either a Nokia Lumia 920 or 820 though (the 920 is thought to be ATT only and the 820 headed for Tmobile). Time to try something new.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Also, can anyone explain what my options are for keeping unlimited data plan at Verizon. I have heard that once I upgrade I can no longer have the benefit of this?

Best Android phones would be the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung (which you can buy unlocked direct from Google Play for $350 - an immeasurably great value), the Samsung Galaxy S3, and the HTC One S and One X (slight differences vary by carrier).

My next phone is definitely going to be either a Nokia Lumia 920 or 820 though (the 920 is thought to be ATT only and the 820 headed for Tmobile). Time to try something new.

That is what I did last March, went with the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket as a change from my past 3 phones being iPhones. I love it and can't wait til ATT gets LTE in this area.

Is the upgrade with unlimited data the same with ATT I wonder? My fiancee and I both have unlimited and I would hate for her to lose it, even though she probably uses less than 2GB a month anyway.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:

Thanks for the info. So the Galaxy Nexus has good specs?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Unlocked at $350 is a great deal, especially if you're worried about losing unlimited data.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Kraftster wrote:My Droid X is starting to show signs of its age. I quite like the droid but have some other apple devices that would make a switch to the iphone nice. Also the NHL 13 HUT app is only available ios. :slug:

What is the best android phone out there right now and how does it compare to this iPhone 5?

Also, can anyone explain what my options are for keeping unlimited data plan at Verizon. I have heard that once I upgrade I can no longer have the benefit of this?

I'm in the same boat you are. I've messed around with the Samsung Galaxy 3S and while it appears to be larger than my droid X (which I think is pretty big), it's quite the phone. Not sure if anyone else here uses it, but it is high on my list for next phone.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:04 pm

not sure if that $350 version will work with Verizon due to their CDMA network that is incompatible with the rest of the world.

the Nexus line of phones is in my opinion the best Android phones by far. they have best in class hardware (when released) and are the first to get operating system updates which come direct from Google and do not go through months long review processes by the manufacturers/carriers. They are already running Jelly Bean. In addition, they don't come preloaded with bloatware and custom interfaces like HTC Sense or Motoblur.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 pm

So what sort of data usage level gets pricey? I guess I shouldn't assume losing unlimited data is a bad thing. Its not like I'm tethering or anything, and I could use wifi many times that I don't. I have no idea what the pricing model is on the tiers of data? How much monthly usage gets pricey?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:09 pm

eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Kraftster wrote:So what sort of data usage level gets pricey? I guess I shouldn't assume losing unlimited data is a bad thing. Its not like I'm tethering or anything, and I could use wifi many times that I don't. I have no idea what the pricing model is on the tiers of data? How much monthly usage gets pricey?

I think you get 2 GB for your base price, but then it was $10 for each GB over that. It may have changed though with the new pricing model. Does Verizon give you the option to retain your old plan? I think ATT did this. I'm not up to date with verizon because we're on ATT.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:So what sort of data usage level gets pricey? I guess I shouldn't assume losing unlimited data is a bad thing. Its not like I'm tethering or anything, and I could use wifi many times that I don't. I have no idea what the pricing model is on the tiers of data? How much monthly usage gets pricey?

I think you get 2 GB for your base price, but then it was $10 for each GB over that. It may have changed though with the new pricing model. Does Verizon give you the option to retain your old plan? I think ATT did this. I'm not up to date with verizon because we're on ATT.

I actually just had my wife look and we aren't even at 1 GB 20 days into the month, so maybe I shouldn't be too worried about it. I'm pretty sure you can keep your plan at Verizon, the part I've been unsure about is what is up with unlimited data. My wife got the 4S this past spring and at that time we could keep our unlimited data plan same price, etc. Now I hear you can't upgrade your phone at the upgrade price without switching over to tiered data plan. Not sure about the other plan components but I guess maybe its not as big a deal as I thought.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm

I have 4GB and can't imagine that anyone would need more than that.

(I do, because I tether at home. The way to stay under is to avoid You Tube as much as possible.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Yeah I really need to jailbreak and tether at home. I'm afraid to do it. But it could save me $40 a month, and sadly with the **** internet i have at home, i'd have faster speeds.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR