New iPhone coming..

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New iPhone coming..

Postby canaan on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

mac5155 wrote:ive used mapquest about 3 times and each time its screwed me over

really? how so?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 am

Google Maps is the only GPS I will use at this point.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:49 am

canaan wrote:
mac5155 wrote:ive used mapquest about 3 times and each time its screwed me over

really? how so?

not the app but the print directions. they always take me on a road that was closed, or the long way. google maps has never led me astray
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

Mapquest <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Google Maps
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 pm

Google Maps is my favy fav.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Fast B wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:I've been waiting to get rid of my Blackberry, which I hate, and I went to my local Verizon store to talk to the salespeople about the differences between the iPhone 4 and 4S, intent on ordering one of them. The sales guy made a VERY heavy push for me to get an android instead of an iPhone. One of his arguments that a number of applications which are free on the droids, such as GPS, you have to pay for with the iPhone. Any thoughts on which is better?

Also, I spend part of each year in Costa Rica. I have a number of friends there who bought iPhones from AT&T, took out the chip and put in the chip from their local cell phones to use the iPhone locally, but until now this couldn't be done with the Verizon iPhones. Anyone know if I'd be able to do that with the Verizon 4S's?

iPhones do have built-in GPS, but if you want turn-by-turn directions (like TomTom) you will have to buy an app; that functionality isn't built in.

The Verizon 4S does have a slot for a SIM card; you may need to have them unlock the device for you though.

Thanks, Fast B. I kind of doubt Verizon will be willing to unlock the device, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I suppose.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:08 pm

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Just updated to ios5. I love the notification center. Unfortunately, my macbook is too old and cannot be updated to Lion, which means I can't use iCloud to its fullest extent. I can only use icloud.com (which is also live as of now). Bummer.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Verizon will be unlocking the phone as long as you have been a good standing customer for 90+ days. They do this to prevent people from buying, unlocking than doing an ETF.

They do it over the phone, it's easy.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:22 pm

nocera wrote:Just updated to ios5. I love the notification center. Unfortunately, my macbook is too old and cannot be updated to Lion, which means I can't use iCloud to its fullest extent. I can only use icloud.com (which is also live as of now). Bummer.

Just finished upgrading now, really digging it at this point. For some reason my contacts didn't sync back to my phone until I went to icloud.com and refreshed the page, so I about had a heartattack thinking they all went bye-byes.

Notification center is pretty sweet, ib4 omgandroidhadthat80yearsagoapplesux
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:55 am

*camera function is much improved
*imessage is nice
*icloud i havent messed with too much
*getting messages from the luck screen is a plus--long overdue.
i wish the notification of message from the top of screen were bigger, but its nice anyway.

i feel like my battery life has decreased a little bit, or ive been playing more games...one of the two
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:57 am

Was this an official upgrade or did yinz use one of the hacks?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby comatose on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Been using iOS 5 since the first beta... hasn't really changed much since then. Originally, notifications on the lockscreen would only stack. Now, the newest notification shows up in the center, with a little "pull down" at the top to view the rest of your notifications. I think I liked it better the way it was originally - I hardly notice the pull down tab most of the time, so if I got 3 text messages and then a Words With Friends update, I'll only see the Words notification, and completely miss that I had texts or calls.

Notifications when you are actively using the phone are awesome. I love the non-intrusive bar at the top. However, I think it's ridiculous that they have no "reminder" in the status bar or something to indicate that you have mail/texts waiting. This has been available for jailbroken phones for years, and seems so simple. Right now, unless you tap the notification right when it comes in, you really have no way of remembering that you had a notification unless you a) see the badge on your app, or b) pull down the notification center to see if you have any.

Also, I HATE that your notifications clear from the lockscreen when you unlock your phone. If I have two calls and a text message, and I unlock my phone to send an e-mail, the next time I view the lockscreen, there will be no notifications. What sense does that make? I shouldn't have to constantly check whether or not I have a notification.

What cracks me up is that they hired the guy that made Mobile Notifier for jailbroken phones to do the notification system in iOS 5. They should have hired David Ashman who does LockInfo to handle the lock screen. As nice as iOS 5 is, the notifications are still way behind the jailbreak community. You can't preview an e-mail from your lockscreen? Or reply to a text? See weather? Turn WiFi on/off? Adjust the brightness? Seems kind of ridiculous for such an advanced phone.

I'll keep jailbreaking until Apple does what SBSettings, LockInfo, and BiteSMS do.
comatose
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mac5155 on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:55 pm

anyone having any issues with iOS5 on a 3Gs? I don't want to kill my phone like the upgrade did to my 3G a while back.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Apple's Siri Is as Revolutionary as the Mac
http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2011/10/apples_ ... ionar.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:39 am

iOS 5 is a nice upgrade. Was hoping for a slightly better notifications screen but this will do for now.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby viva la ben on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am

Two 3gs phones and an iPad 2 are updated and iclouded
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:19 am

iMessage, multitouch gestures, tabs in safari, split keyboard, wireless iOS upgrades

I can only imagine how long it would take to restore from iCloud though.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby comatose on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Now that iCloud is back up and I can use it again, I have to say it's pretty weak. I like the Reminders app, where my wife and I can share to do lists for the store or whatever, but I was hoping for something like Amazon did, where I could upload any music I want to the cloud. Instead, it's only stuff I purchased on iTunes. Lame. I have tons of music from before iTunes existed that I would love to put in the cloud to download when I want.

Photo Stream is equally weak... you can't delete individual pictures? I'm not exactly a professional photographer, so not every picture I take is something I want to put in the cloud. It's either erase them all or keep them all.

iPhone backup in the cloud just seems like a horrible idea. When would you need this when you aren't around your computer anyways? I don't really think I want to restore apps like TomTom over WiFi.
comatose
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:08 pm

My buddy got the new 4s today and said that the new voice recognition stuff is unreal. Can't wait for the 5 to come out next year so I can upgrade.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Just used the maps app for the first time today since the upgrade. Looks like that's improved as well. Three route options and the blue route line has a dot at each turn so it's slightly easier to follow. Still no turn by turn, though.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

nocera wrote:Just used the maps app for the first time today since the upgrade. Looks like that's improved as well. Three route options and the blue route line has a dot at each turn so it's slightly easier to follow. Still no turn by turn, though.

is it a bandwidth issue? how much bandwidth do location services eat up, i wonder... plus, my "current location" isn't always accurate, either.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Finally got around to updating my phone. Wow...this is going to take quite a long time
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:00 pm

It borked my hotspot; not happy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Well, so far I got an error when it was trying to "restore" my phone and now nothing works. I keep trying to restore it and it keeps giving me error 14, so I can't use it. WTF
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR