LGP Education thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Education thread

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

since1970 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
since1970 wrote:we took standardized tests to slot us according to ability, and I know for a fact high school guidance counselors telling parents of friends of mine their child was not college material, this is why we had vo-tech, or has that all but disappeared...

college is so easy these days, i think it would be disingenuous to say a kid isn't "college material"

wow, too easy, that is not good, it's been 31 yrs since I was on a college campus, so I guess things have changed.

Honestly, high school was too easy and I was told college would test my intellect more. It doesn't. Its boring and easy.

I wish more teachers used the Socratic Method than lecture lecture lecture.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:01 pm

since1970 wrote:To the teachers out there, do they still call parents to let them know their child is having issues academically or behavioral? I know I was a problem student up until the figured out I was just bored, and do they still teach according to ability, or is everyone in one class reagardless?

Home communication is such an important part of teaching. I email, call, and write notes to parents, as well as maintain a class website. And our principal fully expects that. Whenever there is an issue with a student, he always wants to know that we've contacted home first. That works both ways... if a parent has an issue with us, he expects that they have communicated to us first.

There are separate classes for advanced kids and for the lowest kids. All other kids are in the same classes, but are taught at their level. Most kids have some sort of individualized plan.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby since1970 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:02 pm

I was told in the 7th grade my reading comprehension and writing skills were on the level of a college freshman, so I pretty much hit my peak in middle school....LOL!
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:04 pm

since1970 wrote:we took standardized tests to slot us according to ability, and I know for a fact high school guidance counselors telling parents of friends of mine their child was not college material, this is why we had vo-tech, or has that all but disappeared...

Vocational schools and classes are disappearing. You're right though, kids should be advised how they can be most successful, whether it's college or a vocation.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:04 pm

MWB wrote:
since1970 wrote:To the teachers out there, do they still call parents to let them know their child is having issues academically or behavioral? I know I was a problem student up until the figured out I was just bored, and do they still teach according to ability, or is everyone in one class reagardless?

Home communication is such an important part of teaching. I email, call, and write notes to parents, as well as maintain a class website. And our principal fully expects that. Whenever there is an issue with a student, he always wants to know that we've contacted home first. That works both ways... if a parent has an issue with us, he expects that they have communicated to us first.

There are separate classes for advanced kids and for the lowest kids. All other kids are in the same classes, but are taught at their level. Most kids have some sort of individualized plan.

I spent many evenings calling from my home phone to get in contact with parents to inform them of good AND bad things going on with their child. unfortunately most don't care.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby since1970 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

MWB wrote:

MWB, what kind of response do you get from parents? Ok, I'll make sure to take care of that, or you can't be talking about my Johhny? Do they follow up or are they mostly giving you lip service? Do you notice the issues being resolved or any improvement ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

count2infinity wrote:
MWB wrote:

I spent many evenings calling from my home phone to get in contact with parents to inform them of good AND bad things going on with their child. unfortunately most don't care.

Depends on where you teach, but I know what you mean. I used to have the same experience, and there's nothing more frustrating than knowing that you care more about a kid's education than his parents.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:09 pm

since1970 wrote:
MWB wrote:

MWB, what kind of response do you get from parents? Ok, I'll make sure to take care of that, or you can't be talking about my Johhny? Do they follow up or are they mostly giving you lip service? Do you notice the issues being resolved or any improvement ?

Where I used to work (eastern suburb of Pittsburgh), it was mostly a mixture of indifference and "What did you do to my child to make him yell at you?!" There were some that cared though. Where I currently teach, it is 95% supportive. They tell me they will get on it and they talk to the kid about it. It's also not uncommon to have the children write an apology letter for misbehaving. Now, there are still instances where the parents say they'll work on it, but do nothing. But the instances where I'm told that it's all my fault are very few and far between.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby since1970 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Remarkable. Investing yourself in your child's education may be one of the top two responsibilities of a parent. The other is pretty much keeping them alive. You teachers will get a kick out of this, when school called home about me, it was "what did you do"? Right, your teacher just singled you out because they hate you ? My parents knew what kind of kid I was, and that pretty much set their response to me, they didn't look at it as the school was accusing them of being bad parents or attacking their child. They knew I could be a little sh** cause I was THEIR child.
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:19 pm

When I was in school I walked a pretty straight line... I wasn't worried about what the school would do to me. I was worried about what my mom would do to me when I got home.

sums it up nicely:

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:31 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
MWB wrote:There are some decent ideas here, especially in the last paragraph. However, we need to think about the next step in some of the other things. Salaries won't rise unless the people who make the budgets are willing to make changes in how money is spent. That's regardless of the quality of teacher. There are states that don't have unions, and they are not performing at a better rate than union states. Fine, take away tenure. Just let me know what you're replacing it with before you flush my tenure down the toilet. Replace it with something that makes sense and will evaluate and help improve the teacher. I agree with shmenguin that parents and teachers shouldn't be the ones evaluating. Way too many axes to grind. Principals can take those opinions into account with their evaluation.

I don't think I have a problem with grandfathering of tenure. While I don't agree with it, it isn't fair to take it away from teachers who counted it as part of the rules when they signed up. I'd definitely cease offering it any longer.

Parents should definitely have a say in evaluations. I would surmise that an experienced professional could quickly discern between a parent with constructive criticism and one with an axe to grind and weight the feedback accordingly No offense, but when I have kids and they are in school, the principal will be getting feedback from me (positive and negative) regardless of whether or not the school district solicits it. If you want to improve a product, you get input from as many places as possible. Reasonable minds can filter through the noise.

This would be even more obvious when a principal looked at an evaluation from a peer because the principal should have regular actions with all of the teachers.

Okay but back to your original point of there being too many teachers if you want them to take feedback from all sources that would require more people being employed to sort through the feedback. Too many teachers according to you is a problem. I'm sure you have a view and it makes sense in your head but it's not translating well to what you're typing in this space.

My point of there being too many teachers is that there are too many people with credentials to teach, not that there are too many teaching positions. This can be attacked from both directions: increase the requirements to earn an education degree and make it easy and cost effective to remove ineffective teachers. The excess supply of teachers will hold salaries down. I've never advocated eliminating teaching positions. I've advocated eliminating ineffective teachers. Two very different things.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:41 pm

Nearly all good teachers want to eliminate ineffective teachers as well. We'd like to have a clear description of what someone considers ineffective though, since that opinion is so varied. Is a teacher who engages students, holds them to a high standard, has them produce meaningful and thoughtful responses to questions ineffective because his/her class didn't score well on the state test? Is a teacher ineffective if a school board member has a cousin in mind to fill his/her job? Is a teacher effective if all his/her kids pass the state test but can't articulate a coherent thought orally or in written form? Is a teacher ineffective if s/he has a class of 15 high needs students, had 13 of them progress during the year academically, 12 of them progress socially, but none of them are on grade level? Is a teacher ineffective is 15 out of the 23 parents that have kids in the class complained all year that class standard was too high?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:09 pm

MWB wrote:Nearly all good teachers want to eliminate ineffective teachers as well. We'd like to have a clear description of what someone considers ineffective though, since that opinion is so varied. Is a teacher who engages students, holds them to a high standard, has them produce meaningful and thoughtful responses to questions ineffective because his/her class didn't score well on the state test? Is a teacher ineffective if a school board member has a cousin in mind to fill his/her job? Is a teacher effective if all his/her kids pass the state test but can't articulate a coherent thought orally or in written form? Is a teacher ineffective if s/he has a class of 15 high needs students, had 13 of them progress during the year academically, 12 of them progress socially, but none of them are on grade level? Is a teacher ineffective is 15 out of the 23 parents that have kids in the class complained all year that class standard was too high?

I don't doubt your desires or that there are many others like you. What I do doubt is that you are in the majority of teachers. If the union (arguably the strongest in the country) thought specific measures of performance were in the best interest of the union as a whole, surely they could use their clout to drive change, I would think.

One reason I believe your thoughts aren't shared with the majority is that I've never heard of a teacher's strike (where they are legal) over clear definitions of performance measurements. It's always over X% salary increase over Y years or trying to minimize contributions to health care, neither of which concern students.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Good grief you have weird expectations.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

I really wish I could have a recap of you education growing up, King Sid to know why you feel so anti-teacher.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm

count2infinity wrote:I really wish I could have a recap of you education growing up, King Sid to know why you feel so anti-teacher.

A jerkoff social studies department filled with former high school football players.

Football coaches masquerading as teachers wasting the first third of the school year with a primary focus of Friday night's game.

Sloth teachers using class time to grade work instead of teaching or giving students an "opportunity to do other work" because they didn't want to teach.

Teachers handing out bonus points for next to nothing.

I can count on one hand the truly good teachers I had 7-12 that pushed and taught. An algebra teacher, a chemistry teacher, an English teacher, a physics teacher, and a pre-calc teacher.

Mt. Pleasant Area, for reference.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:43 pm

King Sid the Great 87 wrote:
MWB wrote:Nearly all good teachers want to eliminate ineffective teachers as well. We'd like to have a clear description of what someone considers ineffective though, since that opinion is so varied. Is a teacher who engages students, holds them to a high standard, has them produce meaningful and thoughtful responses to questions ineffective because his/her class didn't score well on the state test? Is a teacher ineffective if a school board member has a cousin in mind to fill his/her job? Is a teacher effective if all his/her kids pass the state test but can't articulate a coherent thought orally or in written form? Is a teacher ineffective if s/he has a class of 15 high needs students, had 13 of them progress during the year academically, 12 of them progress socially, but none of them are on grade level? Is a teacher ineffective is 15 out of the 23 parents that have kids in the class complained all year that class standard was too high?

I don't doubt your desires or that there are many others like you. What I do doubt is that you are in the majority of teachers. If the union (arguably the strongest in the country) thought specific measures of performance were in the best interest of the union as a whole, surely they could use their clout to drive change, I would think.

One reason I believe your thoughts aren't shared with the majority is that I've never heard of a teacher's strike (where they are legal) over clear definitions of performance measurements. It's always over X% salary increase over Y years or trying to minimize contributions to health care, neither of which concern students.

This modification of performance measurements is fairly new. The status quo has been tenure, which is now being challenged. There are certainly many teachers who want to keep tenure around. So no, you haven't seen teachers' strike about evaluations, but you will. In fact, part of the reason for last year's strike in Chicago was due to the evaluation process. One could also make a fairly logical argument that a strike for better pay does help the students in the long run. I'm not saying that is the reason for strikes, but it is a byproduct. Worse pay equals more quality teachers getting out of the profession. No teacher becomes a teacher for the money, but many teachers have left the profession because of the money.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Unions are undoubtedly part of the problem, but they are only part. Again, you can look at the right to work states and see that the schools there don't have good results. It the union issue were that important, wouldn't the states that don't have unions have highly successful schools?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:11 pm

Blaming unions is like blaming Donald Fehr for the quality of the on ice product. No rational person would do that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 pm

columbia wrote:Blaming unions is like blaming Donald Fehr for the quality of the on ice product. No rational person would do that.

I don't think that is correct.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 pm

The unions are not the problem. If they were then the non-union states would be blowing the union states away wouldn't they?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

count2infinity wrote:The unions are not the problem. If they were then the non-union states would be blowing the union states away wouldn't they?

This is a fairly critical point that doesn't seem to have a solid counter point from the anti-union side.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Had my first first day today. Whoa exhausting. Implementing procedures is certainly a trial by fire. Took me about an hour to get my feet under me but then I started rolling and... I'm excited to do it again tomorrow. Woo.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 pm

:thumb:
Congrats!

Kids started today? We don't have kids until next Monday.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 pm

MWB wrote::thumb:
Congrats!

Kids started today? We don't have kids until next Monday.

Charter School, goes 220 days.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR