The "Official" LGP thread of Current Events

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The "Official" LGP thread of Current Events

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

obhave wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
Grunthy wrote:I can guarentee that oil companies are investing in renewable energy. Maybe not to the extent we believe should happen, but they would be dumb not to in some capacity.

In terms of overall history, the highest ever portion of an oil/gas company's expenditures that were devoted to renewables was the 6% BP spent in 2007/8. That was far and away the most any oil/gas company has ever spent, and it abruptly ended in the following years as they sold off their solar and wind assets. (They are now somewhere in the high twos) Chevron and Shell are in second place with all-time high of 2.5 percent. In the case of Shell - the world's second largest corporation - that number just one year later was $400 million out of its $23 billion in expenditures; or about 1.7%.

No other oil/gas company has ever devoted over 1% of their spending on renewables.

Are those number investments or money spent on internal R&D? Just curious.

Both. For example, in the case of Chevron the number includes all expenditures by a subsidiary of the main oil/gas entity.

Technically speaking, companies don't have to disclose expenditures that are less than 10% of revenues/assets. But oil gas company's do so as a public relations exercise. Out of context, it sounds nice and showy when a company can say they have spent a couple hundred million dollars on something. But in the context of what they are actually spending, it's small potatoes.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:12 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Gary Johnson - the last libertarian presidential nominee - is supportive of a Constitutional amendment that would nullify the Citizen's United. I can get behind that.

I see his Wikipedia page says that, but there are other sites that disagree. For example, procon.org has him giving this response to the following question about Citizens United:

"Was the US Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, which allows for unlimited political contributions on the grounds of free speech, good for America?"

"Yes. Limits on political contributions have never fulfilled their intended purposes, and never will. I believe that contributions are, indeed, speech, and that transparency and full disclosure allow voters and the public to make their own decisions as to the propriety of a candidate's sources of funding."
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 pm

A new poll from the Wall Street Journal/NBC News found a bipartisan majority believes the political and economic system is stacked against them. The electorate is in a decidedly surly mood.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/05/0 ... -a-ripple/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Gary Johnson - the last libertarian presidential nominee - is supportive of a Constitutional amendment that would nullify the Citizen's United. I can get behind that.

I see his Wikipedia page says that, but there are other sites that disagree. For example, procon.org has him giving this response to the following question about Citizens United:

"Was the US Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling, which allows for unlimited political contributions on the grounds of free speech, good for America?"

"Yes. Limits on political contributions have never fulfilled their intended purposes, and never will. I believe that contributions are, indeed, speech, and that transparency and full disclosure allow voters and the public to make their own decisions as to the propriety of a candidate's sources of funding."

I got it from a Reddit AMA he did during the 2012 cycle. Someone asked him about campaign finance reform and had three or four points they were specifically asking. Abolishing the Electoral College, creating a public financing system (I think just for federal offices) and the Constitutional amendment re Citizens United. He said he favored a combination of all the above.

His answer that you cite doesn't really make sense; he says transparency and full disclosure (which I know he does advocate) are important aspects of political campaign financing, but Citizens United quite markedly impedes this goal.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Also, one can logically be in agreement with the Citizens United ruling (as in it follows the law), while at the same time advocating for the law that allowed that ruling to be changed. Which is actually the boat I'm in. Buckley v Valeo from the 70s first held that political contributions were a form of Constitutionally-protected speech, and I'd say that Citizens United was a natural waypoint on the journey of corporate personhood.

Where I disagree with the rulings is the notion that the exercise of a fundamental right can be variable from one person to another (if you have more money, you have more speech), and that a virtual entity that exists only on paper can have 'speech' rights. (Or religious beliefs)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am

http://www.kwch.com/news/local-news/kan ... e/26963390

Moderate Kansas Republicans support democratic candidate for governor.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:55 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:10 pm

How can one be anti-climate, exactly? In any event, those green states are also states that tend to have the highest income tax rates in the country.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:16 pm

The corollary to that would be that a large number of the states that have low or no income tax can afford that because of huge revenues from other sources (oil, tourism, gambling, etc).
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 pm

My mom's been medically disabled since 1986, and has been living off SSI and in subsidized housing. Her monthly income is ~$800. Her rent was just nearly doubled and is now going to cost her $600 a month, and her utility allowance was reduced from $167 to $113 a month.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:11 pm

tifosi77 wrote:My mom's been medically disabled since 1986, and has been living off SSI and in subsidized housing. Her monthly income is ~$800. Her rent was just nearly doubled and is now going to cost her $600 a month, and her utility allowance was reduced from $167 to $113 a month.

My sincere sympathy; that's awful. I don't intend to stick my nose in your business but what our the circumstances? From my limited understanding federally subsidized rent be it projects or section 8 are based on a % of income. How did it double? That seems absolutely crazy. I'm unfamiliar with utility aid but I guess it's differs by state. Does she have any recourse on additional aid? I have a relative who's held captive by medial assistance. He works at a minimum wage job due to getting medicaid; his meds cost over $1000 a month. If he gets a better job he can't get meds. I'm sure not empathetic with our vast amount of freeloaders but I hate to see actual disabled people suffer.
I hope thins improve for your mom.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/16/fe ... lar-hotel/
Speaking of squandering money on the undeserving
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Geezer wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:My mom's been medically disabled since 1986, and has been living off SSI and in subsidized housing. Her monthly income is ~$800. Her rent was just nearly doubled and is now going to cost her $600 a month, and her utility allowance was reduced from $167 to $113 a month.

My sincere sympathy; that's awful. I don't intend to stick my nose in your business but what our the circumstances? From my limited understanding federally subsidized rent be it projects or section 8 are based on a % of income. How did it double? That seems absolutely crazy. I'm unfamiliar with utility aid but I guess it's differs by state. Does she have any recourse on additional aid? I have a relative who's held captive by medial assistance. He works at a minimum wage job due to getting medicaid; his meds cost over $1000 a month. If he gets a better job he can't get meds. I'm sure not empathetic with our vast amount of freeloaders but I hate to see actual disabled people suffer.

She was diagnosed with lupus (systemic and discoid, with CNS involvement) in 1986, and is an 18-year cancer survivor. One might be inclined to call her a 'tough cookie'.

Apparently new HUD regulations allow for fixed price rent at no less than 80% of fair market value. But here's the kicker - the rent is able to be increased up to 35% annually in order to bring the rent closer to that FMV. My mom's rent increase is closer to 50%, which means it will go up 35% this year and then the balance of the increase will kick in next year. The HUD regs hold housing agencies to local laws, so if the state/municipality limits the size of year-on-year rent increases that's the threshold. But PA apparently does not have such a limit, and I can't find if Altoona does.

I have no idea what the utility assistance thing is, that's new to me.

We had just spoken last week about me helping her out. She apparently bounced a $4 check by $0.20, which in turn has caused three other checks (of less than $10 dollars) to bounce as well. And the bank is being a complete d|ck about it, too, refusing to grant a waiver on the DAILY overdraft charges. So I've had to send her money just to clear that up, plus help her make it to next month. But I think we're going to do a more regular thing, maybe either link our checking accounts electronically so I can EFT her some money or get her a pre-paid credit card that I can reload every month. Something.

How she's managed to get along as well as she has the past 25 years is astonishing to me. And every Christmas and birthday, she bakes me like 5 batches of these ricotta cookies that I really like, despite me telling her not to. Seriously, I don't know how she does it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:14 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Geezer wrote:

She was diagnosed with lupus (systemic and discoid, with CNS involvement) in 1986, and is an 18-year cancer survivor. One might be inclined to call her a 'tough cookie'.

Apparently new HUD regulations allow for fixed price rent at no less than 80% of fair market value. But here's the kicker - the rent is able to be increased up to 35% annually in order to bring the rent closer to that FMV. My mom's rent increase is closer to 50%, which means it will go up 35% this year and then the balance of the increase will kick in next year. The HUD regs hold housing agencies to local laws, so if the state/municipality limits the size of year-on-year rent increases that's the threshold. But PA apparently does not have such a limit, and I can't find if Altoona does.

I have no idea what the utility assistance thing is, that's new to me.

We had just spoken last week about me helping her out. She apparently bounced a $4 check by $0.20, which in turn has caused three other checks (of less than $10 dollars) to bounce as well. And the bank is being a complete d|ck about it, too, refusing to grant a waiver on the DAILY overdraft charges. So I've had to send her money just to clear that up, plus help her make it to next month. But I think we're going to do a more regular thing, maybe either link our checking accounts electronically so I can EFT her some money or get her a pre-paid credit card that I can reload every month. Something.

How she's managed to get along as well as she has the past 25 years is astonishing to me. And every Christmas and birthday, she bakes me like 5 batches of these ricotta cookies that I really like, despite me telling her not to. Seriously, I don't know how she does it.

That just seems crazy and with what I know of housing assistance seems grossly unfair to her. Really hope it works out for her and anyone in similar circumstances.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:50 pm

Chris Christie pension video returns to YouTube, sans The Rock
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... _rock.html

:pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Ukraine says Malaysian airliner shot down, 295 dead - agency
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/1 ... U420140717
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 pm

columbia wrote:Ukraine says Malaysian airliner shot down, 295 dead - agency
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/1 ... U420140717

Remind me not to fly Malaysian air. Horrible to hear.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm

So is Russia now the only country to have shot down two civilian airliners?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Why would they shoot down a commercial airliner that has absolutely nothing to do with the conflict there? It's a Malaysian company and the flight was coming from The Netherlands. I see no correlation.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Why would they shoot down a commercial airliner that has absolutely nothing to do with the conflict there? It's a Malaysian company and the flight was coming from The Netherlands. I see no correlation.

If it's true....kooks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Crashed or shot down?

Shot down it looks like. FYI its now posted in the Current Events thread. I forgot about that one since I never go in there as Im sure its just the Political Discussion Thread pig with lipstick on :pop:

Well it's certainly better without certain people around even if this thread has become a long hair commie pinko hippie liberal rag of a thread :slug: :D
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby America on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:23 pm

**** Russia
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Why would they shoot down a commercial airliner that has absolutely nothing to do with the conflict there? It's a Malaysian company and the flight was coming from The Netherlands. I see no correlation.

Sometimes you don't need that.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:28 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Sometimes you don't need that.

I think it destroys any credibility that their side had. Until this (assuming it's true) they were a politically motivated resistance group. They were not focused on civilians and for all intents and purposes they were fighting for what they believe is their best interest as a nation. It was your basic revolution stuff. Now, their just murderers...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 pm

So this this is two planes they've shot down?

This is such a mess, so the business community and Europe is saying that the new sanctions are too harsh, then a lot of people here want more unilateral action from the US. This is really just a no win situation for the US, Europe needs to develop a unified response that the US can endorse. And I really think war mongers and business people need to tone down their criticism.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR