Gym/Exercise Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Gym/Exercise Thread

Postby count2infinity on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Here's my short lived hockey career:

"Dad, I want to play hockey." "Well, to play hockey you have to know how to skate, and you don't." "Can I go learn how to skate so that I can play hockey?" "Nope."
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm

The worst part is knowing that I've gotten better every year since I started playing 2 years ago, and wonder how good I could be if I started when I was 5.

Driveway hockey doesn't exactly cut it.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I think you guys are underestimating how many kids go through all the requisite training who fail and never amount to anything aside from a partial scholarship to some small school somewhere.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think you guys are underestimating how many kids go through all the requisite training who fail and never amount to anything aside from a partial scholarship to some small school somewhere.

Assuming it still exists:
What are the chances of the best player from the SHIHL (in any given year) even making it to the ECHL?

Pretty low, I would think.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:23 pm

SHIHL?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:25 pm

Troy Loney wrote:SHIHL?

Whatever the league was/is that Bethel, Mt. Lebanon, USC, etc were in.
When I went to Bethel, Mt. Lebo had some players that seriously better than anyone in the league and I don't think they even made a dent in college hockey.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:29 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The worst part is knowing that I've gotten better every year since I started playing 2 years ago, and wonder how good I could be if I started when I was 5.

Driveway hockey doesn't exactly cut it.

Thats the part where delusion comes it. We all want to believe we are good athletes.

But the reality is that the guys who are pros, even the cruddiest mope in the ECHL or the guy hitting 175 in the new york penn league is so much more athletic than the average person that its really not enough funny.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Gotcha. one of my best friends captained the bethel team to a couple of state championships. he played on the junior penguins and some other travel teams. he turned down a couple of scholarships to just go play on the PSU booster team or whatever that is.

he would say the best player on the bethel team was this one defenseman that ended up at mercyhurst...and I think had a short ECHL stint.

But he also used to play with Ryan Malone and he said that Malone was basically only on the premier teams cause of his dad. He eventually got sent off to expensive clinics where he evidently got good. I know that sort of supports what people are saying, but Malone also grew about a foot or so in that span.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:57 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Gotcha. one of my best friends captained the bethel team to a couple of state championships. he played on the junior penguins and some other travel teams. he turned down a couple of scholarships to just go play on the PSU booster team or whatever that is.

he would say the best player on the bethel team was this one defenseman that ended up at mercyhurst...and I think had a short ECHL stint.

But he also used to play with Ryan Malone and he said that Malone was basically only on the premier teams cause of his dad. He eventually got sent off to expensive clinics where he evidently got good. I know that sort of supports what people are saying, but Malone also grew about a foot or so in that span.

Sounds like you would be referring to Denis Kirstein.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77740

columbia wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I think you guys are underestimating how many kids go through all the requisite training who fail and never amount to anything aside from a partial scholarship to some small school somewhere.

Assuming it still exists:
What are the chances of the best player from the SHIHL (in any given year) even making it to the ECHL?

Pretty low, I would think.

Its the PIHL now, and yea, the chances are pretty low. With about 12 years of amateur hockey and 4 years of high school hockey I can think of about two dozen guys that I played with or against that went on to a legitimate next level (not D-3 college or "professional" leagues like MVHL). That's really not many at all.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:59 pm

looks like it.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Oh not at all..... that's just how powerful the delusion is. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:23 pm

There are also plenty of people that don't have the talent to have any remote chance at being good at a higher level, but have enough hockey sense, speed, and endurance to be more productive muckers than the guys that play in the ECHL.

I'm certainly not any of those things, but i'm sure there are people that would be better players at that level that get passed over because they have no chance of being anything more than a 7-13 forward at that level.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Neat. Just became an "ECHL'er" while a bunch of people remind me that I could never dream of being an ECHLer. There is harmony in the universe.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:22 am

dodint wrote:Neat. Just became an "ECHL'er" while a bunch of people remind me that I could never dream of being an ECHLer. There is harmony in the universe.

Well you did read 11/22/63...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 am

Once.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Grunthy on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:31 am

I probably could have been a practice squad player for the NFL. I wasn't nearly big enough to be a starter. I was 6' 5" 295lbs offensive lineman with a 420lb bench, 800lb squat and a 4.9 forty time. It wasn't worth the abuse and torture for me to keep playing football. I completely stopped caring about being a football player. I'm glad I stopped caring about football, because I now have a messed up shoulder(cannot raise it past parallel), have a bum knee, and not to mention concussions. I'm most likely going to have even more issues as I get older. Cannot even imagine the shape I would be if I played even longer.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:02 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:00 am

For the long distance runners here... do you prefer running to individual songs/random playlists or entire albums? I've always been one to stick to coherent, solid from end-to-end albums (running to all of Kid A, for example) but I've been finding myself in a bit of a rut lately.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 am

I don't listen to music when I run as I like to hear the world around me. My runs are all about peace, introspection, and clear thinking. Nothing like a good run to set your head right.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 am

I have to listen to music when I run. If I hear myself breathe I quit. Call me weak or whatever but it works for me. I listen to playlists that are indivdiual songs and I shuffle them. I have themed lists and choose a list by however I feel that day. I can't listen to an entire album because there are inevitably slow cadence songs that I'd have to skip by and I dont' like fussing with my iPod when I run.
If I'm running anything over an hour and a half, I create a special playlist where I take a recorded book and mix in up tempo music in 8-12 minute blocks every few chapters. The first time I did this in a competitive race I came in 7 minutes ahead of my target time for a half marathon and I've been doing it ever since. Love it.

The only album I think I might've been able to run through all the way is Play by Moby.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 am

Absolutely no way I could run without music...the less I am focused on the fact I am running the better.

In any event, for me it's the Pop/Hiphop Power Workout mix on Pandora, every time. I normally hate that kind of music but love it for running.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 am

agreed. I have to run with music and the cadence has everything to do with it. There are a few times where I've gone without it so I can hear everything around me and I hated it. The breathing, the not being able to set your own pace, I'm one of those people that needs something to adjust my running to.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:13 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Gotcha. one of my best friends captained the bethel team to a couple of state championships. he played on the junior penguins and some other travel teams. he turned down a couple of scholarships to just go play on the PSU booster team or whatever that is.

Sounds like you would be referring to Denis Kirstein.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=77740

Denis was pretty good. I also played with Cullen Eddy. He is having himself a pretty good AHL career. He played in the PIHL for a year or two, I believe.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=97734
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:57 am

http://www.active.com/apollo-pa/running ... -moon-2014

So let me get this right: the "race to the Moon" does not involve a race in Moon or a race that ends up in Moon?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yubb on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:21 am

Coworkers are trying to get me to do this again. Anyone else going? http://my.rachelcarsontrails.org/events
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR