Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Italian Cruise Ship Disaster

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 am

newarenanow wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Perhaps the water was cold? Not sure what the weather is like there this time of year.

Temp there was said to be in the mid 40's to low 50's during the day. I doubt the water was that cold.

Are you serious? That water would be freezing.

lol this. That area is at about the same latitude as we are....granted, the Tyrrhenian Sea is probably a little warmer than the Atlantic is this time of year, not by much.

Just checked, and the current water temp is 59 degrees (which is most certainly cold)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 am

shafnutz05 wrote:lol this. That area is at about the same latitude as we are....granted, the Tyrrhenian Sea is probably a little warmer than the Atlantic is this time of year, not by much.

Just checked, and the current water temp is 59 degrees (which is most certainly cold)

A lot of people equate water temp to air temp. 59 may not sound that cold, but it is in the water. Especially for a long period of time.

If you think about it, usually your swimming pool if heated, is around 80. And that is supposed to be refreshing and cool.

I've jumped into the ocean before when the water was like 60 degrees, and the outside temp was like 85, and it is a shock, and if you stay in a while, you can't feel your legs.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 am

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:48 am

THE GATE IS NARROW
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 am

In a way, it's amazing that only 6 (so far) people have died out of 4,200. Could have been much worse. And at least 3 of those were elderly people that probably just physically couldn't save themselves.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
lol this. That area is at about the same latitude as we are....granted, the Tyrrhenian Sea is probably a little warmer than the Atlantic is this time of year, not by much.

Latitude doesn't really mean a lot. It's always a shock when I remember that Bielefeld is at about the same latitude as Calgary or Regina, but the average temperatuere is way higher here. Thank God. And you're right, the Mediterranean is also way warmer than the Atlantic, although I wouldn't recommend taking a bath at the moment.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:32 am

I heard the captain and navigator were off course because a crew member wanted to do a pass by his hometown or something.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LeopardLetang on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:33 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:THE GATE IS NARROW

haha drew brees?
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 am

LeopardLetang wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:THE GATE IS NARROW

haha drew brees?

:thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:36 am

but seriously i have never been on any sort of nautical vessel but how does this happen? i feel like you should be able to see the giant rocks in the picture
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:but seriously i have never been on any sort of nautical vessel but how does this happen? i feel like you should be able to see the giant rocks in the picture

It's a lot trickier than you think (I'm not saying that is necessarily the case in this scenario, the captain seems irresponsible to me). While most of the time shoals and such are marked very clearly on nautical charts, a lot of times there are things missing.

The lack of a mayday call is really bizarre to me. So it came out he was trying to ground it intentionally, correct?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:43 pm

newarenanow wrote:A lot of people equate water temp to air temp. 59 may not sound that cold, but it is in the water.

Water is a much more effective conductor of heat than is air.

Example: Heat your oven to 212 F, and bring a pot of water to a boil on the range. Stick your and in the oven, and it will barely even feel warm. Stick your hand in the water, and..... well......

shafnutz05 wrote:The lack of a mayday call is really bizarre to me. So it came out he was trying to ground it intentionally, correct?

That's what I've read; that he hit an unmarked reef, and then tried to ground it to prevent it from completely foundering.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:A lot of people equate water temp to air temp. 59 may not sound that cold, but it is in the water.

Example: Heat your oven to 212 F, and bring a pot of water to a boil on the range. Stick your and in the oven, and it will barely even feel warm. Stick your hand in the water, and..... well......

I don't know what you are getting at with this? The water is 59 degrees. It will do much more damage to your body and feel much colder than if you were walking around outside on a 59 degree day.

If you are pointing out that for both hot and cold, water temp does not = air temp, then I agree.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Spangler on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Back in high school we had to have swim class for a quarter of the school year. They had to refill the pool one time, which also takes time to reheat the water. We had to swim in the pool with a 60-70 water temperature, and it felt like ice water.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm

newarenanow wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

I don't know what you are getting at with this? The water is 59 degrees. It will do much more damage to your body and feel much colder than if you were walking around outside on a 59 degree day.

If you are pointing out that for both hot and cold, water temp does not = air temp, then I agree.

i think he was agreeing with you :lol:
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:19 pm

canaan wrote:i think he was agreeing with you :lol:

We don't want any of that around here. :D
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:41 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:I heard the captain and navigator were off course because a crew member wanted to do a pass by his hometown or something.

I thought it was a joke, but apparently it's true. :face:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:43 pm

canaan wrote:i think he was agreeing with you :lol:

Me too dumb to realize. :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Yeah, 70 degree pool water when the air temp is like 85-90 is COLD. I can only imagine what 50* water felt like with a 40* air temp. Not Titanic freeze you to death in 2 minutes cold, but not very pleasant either.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:44 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

I have been on like 4 cruises and some of the largest boards in the world and they are a blast and so stress free. You hear crimes of people on vacations all the time and you dont think twice but if you hear it happened on a cruise boat people never want to go on one now. There are a lot of old and big people on cruises so just jumping from the boat and swimming probably wouldnt be an option for some.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:02 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:I have been on like 4 cruises and some of the largest boards in the world and they are a blast and so stress free. You hear crimes of people on vacations all the time and you dont think twice but if you hear it happened on a cruise boat people never want to go on one now. There are a lot of old and big people on cruises so just jumping from the boat and swimming probably wouldnt be an option for some.

I've been on a cruise too, and I'm 100% going on one again. You look at this, and then compare to how many cruises are sailing daily, these accidents are few and far between. And unlike an airplane accident, changes of you dying is relatively small.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:05 pm

mac5155 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Perhaps the water was cold? Not sure what the weather is like there this time of year.

Temp there was said to be in the mid 40's to low 50's during the day. I doubt the water was that cold.

Go to the beach in 40 degree weather and tell me the water aint cold! lol

The average temperature in Orlando is 22 degrees :pop:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

We don't use that metric crap here in 'merica
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:21 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Stupid Canadian and your Celsius.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR