Tax Season!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tax Season!

Postby mac5155 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:33 pm

I purchased a half a cow with mine. So I guess you could say I invested it :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Passed on the magic beans.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:38 pm

mac5155 wrote:I purchased a half a cow with mine. So I guess you could say I invested it :pop:

Hah. I was talking about the folks with no deductions.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Owed $500 this year which is better than the $1800 last year. Thanks ex-wife for keeping all the tax credits for the kids. :thumbdown:
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 am

i need to liquidate a brokerage account (fidelity). are there any clever ways to do this to minimize tax implications?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:44 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i need to liquidate a brokerage account (fidelity). are there any clever ways to do this to minimize tax implications?

Unless you have losses somewhere else that you can and are willing to take at the same time, probably not. Fidelty will probably estimate and take the Federal portion unless instructed otherwise.

My approach in these situations is to take all the cash (i.e. instruct the broker NOT to withhold taxes) and save 1/3-1/2 until after the next tax year. That's not advice, though, just how it works out best for me.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i need to liquidate a brokerage account (fidelity). are there any clever ways to do this to minimize tax implications?

Unless you have losses somewhere else that you can and are willing to take at the same time, probably not. Fidelty will probably estimate and take the Federal portion unless instructed otherwise.

My approach in these situations is to take all the cash (i.e. instruct the broker NOT to withhold taxes) and save 1/3-1/2 until after the next tax year. That's not advice, though, just how it works out best for me.

Is it 1/3-1/2 of the total balance of the gains I have had on those funds when they have been in the acct?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Is it 1/3-1/2 of the total balance of the gains I have had on those funds when they have been in the acct?

Sorry, I had that wrong... meant to say Fidelity WILL NOT estimate and withhold, but you should still instruct them to give you all the proceeds from the sale. You are responsible for your own tax estimate and payments. Again, I just save half until I know how much I have to pay, so I guess I sort of do my own backup withholding.

I usually save 1/3 to 1/2 of everything... but I am a saver.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby no name on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:09 am

Going to buy me a new sliding glass door for the basement with the refund this year, save the rest.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:13 pm

PFiDC - interesting I had a friend who was attempting to make extra mortgage payments for the purpose of claiming the interest on 2014 taxes. The bank said that his additional payments would be reported in the year they are due as opposed to when he paid them. Not sure if that was a bank policy, or law, or what... we both thought it was very odd.
DropEmJayBird
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:48 am

Sent mine this morning...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 pm

no name wrote:Going to buy me a new sliding glass door for the basement with the refund this year, save the rest.

I'm getting new tires and might to to Phoenix to see a friend
stopper40
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR