Help with nautical deck ideas - UPDATED with progress

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Help with nautical deck ideas - UPDATED with progress

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 am

As many of you know, my wife and I are all about bringing the feeling of a beach cottage to our Johnstown home, and this spring we intend to take that one step further with the addition of a deck off of our living room. At this point, we're in the planning stages, trying to come up with ideas that might help to make our deck more "nautical."

Anyone out there have any ideas?

So far, we're planning on building some wooden planters and including permanent brackets for tiki torches. Additionally, we will be adding Adirondack chairs, ferns, an area rug, etc. Does anyone have any ideas of how we can further add to the beachy feel without breaking the bank?
Last edited by Defence21 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Need help with creative/nautical deck ideas

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

Would you be kind enough and send me some pictures of your house and the backyard area. I am going back to school for landscape architecture, and have some experience in this. I eecently finished a beach deck project actually. I am not yet a licensed architect, but this is something I love to do for fun, and would enjoy drawing something up for you.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 am

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This thread definitely has my interest.

One thing I absolutely recommend is creating the railing with nautical lines (or ropes, for you landlubbers)

I found a good eHow article describing how to do it, along with a picture to show you what I am thinking of

http://www.ehow.com/how_12191546_make-nautical-rope-deck-railing.html

Spoiler:

I'm not sure how high up your deck is, so obviously if safety is an issue, you might want two or three lines going across.

I also recommend red ang green lights, depending on where the entrance to your deck is (they don't even have to be hooked up to light up, but it's a nice touch). The following is from "Nauticaldecorstore.com"

Spoiler:

Remember, "red right returning", so make sure you have the red light on the right for the entrance to your deck.

I'll try to think of other stuff too, but there's a start.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 am

Had one of these out side when i was in high school, great place to sleep outdoors espicially when you came home drunk and the house was all locked up. Hot woman not included.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:48 am

no name wrote:Hot woman not included.

Good, because she's probably in her 70s/80s or passed away now.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 am

wood light house

If you got enough space this gives you that nautical feel, also you can add a light if you want. If you put it away from the deck and give it a far off feeling would be neat. I have seen these around hear from 4 to 10 feet tall.
Last edited by no name on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

shafnutz05 wrote::thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

This thread definitely has my interest.

One thing I absolutely recommend is creating the railing with nautical lines (or ropes, for you landlubbers)

I found a good eHow article describing how to do it, along with a picture to show you what I am thinking of

http://www.ehow.com/how_12191546_make-nautical-rope-deck-railing.html

Spoiler:

I'm not sure how high up your deck is, so obviously if safety is an issue, you might want two or three lines going across.

I also recommend red ang green lights, depending on where the entrance to your deck is (they don't even have to be hooked up to light up, but it's a nice touch). The following is from "Nauticaldecorstore.com"

Spoiler:

Remember, "red right returning", so make sure you have the red light on the right for the entrance to your deck.

I'll try to think of other stuff too, but there's a start.

I love the nautical lines idea, and it's one I actually had, as well. The only problem is, we have a 4 month old and the deck will be roughly 4-5 feet off the ground. Safety is going to be paramount, so this idea, as pictured likely won't work. But I have thought of going with horizontal railing, as opposed to vertical railing, leaving space in the middle for nautical lines.

Other ideas I have had would be to use old telephone poles as pillars for the deck. Problem is, I have no idea where to get old telephone poles, or where to find posts that would resemble pilings (both in size and shape).

Also, I am searching for a wine barrel to add a tabletop to for a homemade bar.

Otehr simple ideas:

- Metal bucket filled with sand and several empty corona bottles
- Deck cletes to support nautical lines
- Light grey stain for the rails, with a natural color deck floor
- Built-in floor-level planter for ferns/blade grass (with sand, as opposed to dirt)
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:58 am

What hot woman?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 pm

In the house I previously owned, we had a hot tub built into the deck. What a luxury. There are few greater sensations than walking across a snow-covered deck and getting into a steaming hot tub. Then, steaming yourself, walking back through the snow into the house. Au naturel, of course.

It's a dream we have to do the same thing for our new house. But it costs big bucks.

We did some funky landscaping around our deck to increase the sea-feel. We had a drainage problem from one of our rain gutters: no where for the water to go and it ended up going right into the crawl-space. So we dug a trench, filled it with a ton of white rocks, and then built a pier-like path along it using cut-off landscaping ties. The gutter then drained into the rock-filled trench. We put cut-off stumps along the path and strung ropes between them to increase the pier feel.

Anyway, it was cool and I miss that back yard.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:02 pm

redwill wrote:In the house I previously owned, we had a hot tub built into the deck. What a luxury. There are few greater sensations than walking across a snow-covered deck and getting into a steaming hot tub. Then, steaming yourself, walking back through the snow into the house. Au naturel, of course.

It's a dream we have to do the same thing for our new house. But it costs big bucks.

We did some funky landscaping around our deck to increase the sea-feel. We had a drainage problem from one of our rain gutters: no where for the water to go and it ended up going right into the crawl-space. So we dug a trench, filled it with a ton of white rocks, and then built a pier-like path along it using cut-off landscaping ties. The gutter then drained into the rock-filled trench. We put cut-off stumps along the path and strung ropes between them to increase the pier feel.

Anyway, it was cool and I miss that back yard.

That sounds awesome! I have some ideas like this as well, but probably will have to work on things bit by bit.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Anyone have ideas where I can buy piling style posts/pillars?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm

We just used old logs (from two diseased elms we cut down) cut into two or three foot sections. But old telephone poles would work, too. Those are easy to come by for free here in Kansas. Don't know where you'd buy them.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I would contact your local utility companies. Those old telephone poles are so treated that they cant really burn, and don't rot either, so they end up usually being piled up behind a building somewhere for all eternity. I'm sure they'd be happy to get rid of a few.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Just make sure you have some extra chainsaw blades handy. Cutting telephone poles will gum up a chainsaw blade quick. Ruination.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 pm

redwill wrote:We just used old logs (from two diseased elms we cut down) cut into two or three foot sections. But old telephone poles would work, too. Those are easy to come by for free here in Kansas. Don't know where you'd buy them.

Definitely can't use an old tree, as I'm looking to use the pillars as supports for the deck. These would have to be manufactured.

Also, anyone have any connections for cheap used wine barrels. Want to make a table out of one.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 pm

We used wine barrels for two fountains. Bad idea. Despite the circulating pumps, we couldn't keep up with the scum. We were very successful at growing leeches in them, believe it or not. Tables sound OK, I guess.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 pm

craigslist is your friend!
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:31 pm

No nautical design theme is complete without at least one kraken.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tjand72 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Could you make your deck long and a bit skinny, like a pier? Or maybe have the main portion of the deck, and a skinnier portion as an offshoot where you could put a table/chairs, which would give you the feeling of a pier as well.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 pm

how about a pineapple? it will remind you of spongebobs house
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:47 pm

redwill wrote:In the house I previously owned, we had a hot tub built into the deck. What a luxury. There are few greater sensations than walking across a snow-covered deck and getting into a steaming hot tub. Then, steaming yourself, walking back through the snow into the house. Au naturel, of course.

Be careful out in Tombstone; you know what they say about scorpions.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

tjand72 wrote:Could you make your deck long and a bit skinny, like a pier? Or maybe have the main portion of the deck, and a skinnier portion as an offshoot where you could put a table/chairs, which would give you the feeling of a pier as well.

Those are some good ideas, and ones I have considered. Not quite sure how to develop them, though.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am

What's a good size for a deck? At first I was thinking something like 10 x 18 or 10 x 20 -- but now I'm starting to think more along the lines of 12 x 16 for the sake of not having to cut the lumber to size. For those with decks, what's better: square or rectangle?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 am

redwill wrote:We used wine barrels for two fountains. Bad idea. Despite the circulating pumps, we couldn't keep up with the scum. We were very successful at growing leeches in them, believe it or not. Tables sound OK, I guess.

perhaps a coating on the wine barrels before the introduction of a constant amount of fluid would have prevented the scum.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 am

Defence21 wrote:What's a good size for a deck? At first I was thinking something like 10 x 18 or 10 x 20 -- but now I'm starting to think more along the lines of 12 x 16 for the sake of not having to cut the lumber to size. For those with decks, what's better: square or rectangle?

do you plan on using the deck as a place of social gathering, or mostly for grilling/chilling?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR