Help with nautical deck ideas - UPDATED with progress

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Need help with creative/nautical deck ideas

Postby Defence21 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm

canaan wrote:you could always go with a standard rail and attach these at the posts and run your ropelines draped through the eyes. that'd be a relatively cheap way to get the desired effect.

That's a really cool idea -- one I just might utilize!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:57 am

Any idea where I can find some cheap used wine/whiskey barrels? Thinking about making a table out of one or two of these.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Defence21 wrote:Any idea where I can find some cheap used wine/whiskey barrels? Thinking about making a table out of one or two of these.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fuo/2829066991.html
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 pm

canaan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Any idea where I can find some cheap used wine/whiskey barrels? Thinking about making a table out of one or two of these.

Thanks. Hadn't thought of Craigslist for some reason. I'll have to see if I can find any in a closer proximity to Johnstown.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Defence21 wrote:
canaan wrote:

Thanks. Hadn't thought of Craigslist for some reason. I'll have to see if I can find any in a closer proximity to Johnstown.

Well then there is someone else in the Altoona area looking for 3 foot tall wine barrels to make a table :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
canaan wrote:

Well then there is someone else in the Altoona area looking for 3 foot tall wine barrels to make a table :pop:

Might have been my wife. Twas her idea.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Well, I didn't quite find whiskey/wine barrels, but I did find two half whiskey barrels, which I am going to stack one on top of the other, then bolt together. For the table top, I'm thinking of using an old door I found in the rafters of my garage -- going to sand it down and give it an antiqued treatment. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as I expect it will.

As for the deck, excavation of some landscaping was to get underway Saturday/Sunday, but heavy rain prevented my work. I'm hoping Easter weekend presents some nice weather to really get the ball rolling on preparations before starting the actual work in late April/early May.

Thanks to all for the help!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Blow torch will give you an antiquated look. Beat it up with a thick chain for even more effect.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm

mac5155 wrote:Blow torch will give you an antiquated look. Beat it up with a thick chain for even more effect.

Thanks...I'll be looking at a bunch of methods. Best part is the door is free, so if I screw it up, I'll just trash it and try it with something else.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:Beat it up with a thick chain for even more effect.

This is just such good advice for so many of life's situations.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm

redwill wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Beat it up with a thick chain for even more effect.

This is just such good advice for so many of life's situations.

8-)
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Defence21 wrote:Well, I didn't quite find whiskey/wine barrels, but I did find two half whiskey barrels, which I am going to stack one on top of the other, then bolt together. For the table top, I'm thinking of using an old door I found in the rafters of my garage -- going to sand it down and give it an antiqued treatment. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as I expect it will.

As for the deck, excavation of some landscaping was to get underway Saturday/Sunday, but heavy rain prevented my work. I'm hoping Easter weekend presents some nice weather to really get the ball rolling on preparations before starting the actual work in late April/early May.

all we demand are pictures when completed.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby rasbatch on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Martha Stewarts says "A large bucket of fish entrails will lend a nautical theme to any deck or patio"
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:03 pm

canaan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:Well, I didn't quite find whiskey/wine barrels, but I did find two half whiskey barrels, which I am going to stack one on top of the other, then bolt together. For the table top, I'm thinking of using an old door I found in the rafters of my garage -- going to sand it down and give it an antiqued treatment. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as I expect it will.

all we demand are pictures when completed.

Ideas -- though entirely different than the one offered by Martha Rasbatch -- are still welcomed. Pictures as the project progresses, for sure!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 am

The work began last weekend! I had to move a fence back about 8 feet to make room for the deck. That project projects to be finished by early next week. In the meantime, I cut down three 10' shrubs and will be ripping off a small porch this weekend. Post-holes to be dug this weekend, and the posts are to be set Sunday or Monday!

The deck itself projects to be pretty basic as a 12' x 16' rectangle, but we're adding a 2.5' x 12' permanent raised planter at the one end to plant either ferns or blade grass. We're also going with horizontal deck railing, as opposed to traditional vertical spindles. The other large element (in terms of look/feel) will be the use of dock cletes and nautical line that will hang on the deck posts all the way around (with a few lobster buoys for accent).

I purchased two halves of whiskey barrels at Lowes and will bolt them together to create the base of a table. The table top projects to be an old wood door from our basement that I will be sanding down, beating up, and painting with (most likely) crackle paint.

I'm pretty anxious to get the ball rolling here, and I'll be sure to take pictures throughout the process and post them here for those of you who are interested!

Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:12 am

Well...I dug 9 post holes (and ran into a ton of large rocks) over the last week, setting the ground work for yesterday's construction. My bro-in-law and I spend about 6 hrs before the snow building the frame, and actually got a lot more done than we had expected/hoped. While it's not much to look at yet, here is an album of our progress thus far: http://s354.photobucket.com/albums/r420/FaceoffFactor/Deck/.

We were planning to attach a separate, free-standing 6'x2.5' planter box (roughly 2.5' deep) to the right end of the deck once the deck is built. However, upon further consideration, I think we're going to end up scrapping that idea for now, and instead building a pergola to cover the entire deck. My estimation puts the costs at a near-wash, and the pergola will be much more practical and useful.

For anyone with knowledge, does this sound right:

For the pergola, I'll need 5 4x4 posts (3 in the front, 1 on each side -- then attach pergola to house w/out posts), 5 post bases to attach the posts to the deck floor, 2 2x6x16 boards (one for the front of the pergola, one to connect to the house), 10 2x6x12 boards for the rafters. I'll also need a 5lb box of deck screws and lag bolts to connect the posts to the house and to connect the 2x6's to the posts. Lowes.com is showing my total at roughly $300 -- does this all sound about right? Am I missing anything??
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Help with nautical deck ideas - UPDATED with progress

Postby mac5155 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:49 am

Be sure you use a flashing over your ledger board (the one that attaches to your house) otherwise you're going to have moisture running towards the house and not away from it. Caulk the seam after you fold it over the ledger.

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm

mac5155 wrote:Be sure you use a flashing over your ledger board (the one that attaches to your house) otherwise you're going to have moisture running towards the house and not away from it. Caulk the seam after you fold it over the ledger.

Thanks...will do!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:12 am

Done and done
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 am

I found a barrel to use as the base for my table. Now I'm looking to make the tabletop. I had two thoughts: an old door cut to size, stripped down and antiqued or 4x4 tile (like at Chili's). My father-in-law gave me a box of cream tiles, so I'm leaning in this direction, with the idea of interspersing some blueish Mexican-style tiles as accents. My question is, how should I construct the top?

I'm thinking of using a sheet of plywood for the base, a sheet of cement board on top of that, and then the tile. I'd then frame it out with 1x. Does this sound about right?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am

sounds fine to me. just make sure you use a thick plywood so it doesnt mangle over time and crack your tile set/and to support the weight of the cement board, tile, grout, etc. i would use a 3/4" birch plywood, but thats just me.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

canaan wrote:sounds fine to me. just make sure you use a thick plywood so it doesnt mangle over time and crack your tile set/and to support the weight of the cement board, tile, grout, etc. i would use a 3/4" birch plywood, but thats just me.

I'm going 4'x4 in size. Does this backer board look about right for external use? It's 4'x4' and won't require me to pieces together several sheets of cement board.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_182340-325-0600 ... facetInfo=

Also, I'm going to upload a few photos of the deck progress. It's finally coming together!
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed May 23, 2012 10:01 am

Defence21 wrote:
canaan wrote:sounds fine to me. just make sure you use a thick plywood so it doesnt mangle over time and crack your tile set/and to support the weight of the cement board, tile, grout, etc. i would use a 3/4" birch plywood, but thats just me.

I'm going 4'x4 in size. Does this backer board look about right for external use? It's 4'x4' and won't require me to pieces together several sheets of cement board.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_182340-325-0600 ... facetInfo=

Also, I'm going to upload a few photos of the deck progress. It's finally coming together!

i dont think you'll have a problem with 1/4". IIRC, 1/2" is the best for those little round mosaic tables people do for their gardens and such, but i dont think its that big of a difference.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 pm

I want to build a flower bed in my yard this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations on what type of edging stones / bricks to use to outline / build the bed with?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR