Wedding Planning Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:58 pm

i agree it's appropriate. and we sent out hand-written notes. but i don't really care as the recipient.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

So why do you feel it's appropriate to write hand written notes as the sender, but don't care what the thank you card is that you receive? seems counter intuitive to me.

and i already said why i don't like getting the mass produced thank yous, they feel cheap, lazy, and ungrateful.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,806
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm

because i live in a society and i abide by its standards.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm

the dude abides
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,046
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pm

people should probably give gifts and send the couple thank you notes for being invited to the wedding. That's a lot of work you put on for your guests, what are you thanking them for?
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,833
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:51 pm

eddysnake wrote:people should probably give gifts and send the couple thank you notes for being invited to the wedding. That's a lot of work you put on for your guests, what are you thanking them for?


at most weddings, it's what...like 75-100 dollars a head to feed guests and give them an open bar. in return, you get what...like 75-100 dollars as a gift? so yeah, i'm not really sure who owes what to who.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby eddysnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm

shmenguin wrote:
eddysnake wrote:people should probably give gifts and send the couple thank you notes for being invited to the wedding. That's a lot of work you put on for your guests, what are you thanking them for?


at most weddings, it's what...like 75-100 dollars a head to feed guests and give them an open bar. in return, you get what...like 75-100 dollars as a gift? so yeah, i'm not really sure who owes what to who.


I feel like I should get a thank you card from just about everyone who is lucky enough to grace my presence in any scenario, so maybe I'm a little biased. I'm going to talk with my wife and see about having a 2nd wedding and specifically putting on the invite that a thank you card is required from the guest for coming.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,833
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:05 pm

count2infinity wrote:So why do you feel it's appropriate to write hand written notes as the sender, but don't care what the thank you card is that you receive?


For me I know my friends are thankful for whatever gift I can give them. They don't need to waste their time sending me a letter telling me that.

They wouldn't be much of a friend if I needed a formal verification that they appreciated something. And if they aren't a friend whats the point in giving a gift?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,346
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:07 pm

shmenguin wrote:
at most weddings, it's what...like 75-100 dollars a head to feed guests and give them an open bar.


Is that really what it costs? I suppose that factors in music but I can get a great meal and plastered for a lot less than that.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,346
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby skullman80 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
at most weddings, it's what...like 75-100 dollars a head to feed guests and give them an open bar.


Is that really what it costs? I suppose that factors in music but I can get a great meal and plastered for a lot less than that.


I think at our wedding it was about 60$/plate that included dinner and open bar per person. We probably spent quite a bit less than most people do on their weddings though.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,817
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:18 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:
at most weddings, it's what...like 75-100 dollars a head to feed guests and give them an open bar.


Is that really what it costs? I suppose that factors in music but I can get a great meal and plastered for a lot less than that.


it was at about 120 when i was shopping around. we went rogue and did something small instead, but 75-100 was a modest estimate.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby viva la ben on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:19 pm

I can't remember how much it was a head, but even $60 a head sounds high...Our reception was at The Fez in Aliquippa...we opted for the top shelf open bar which was one step below the premium shelf.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,020
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby skullman80 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:31 pm

It all depends on where you have it too.. we had ours at Pluma in Irwin. Nice, not some elegant place. Hence the 60$ ish a head figure even with the next to best open bar level.

Other places we looked at were higher than that, but we had a budget and stuck to it.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,817
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shmenguin on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:33 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:For me I know my friends are thankful for whatever gift I can give them. They don't need to waste their time sending me a letter telling me that.

They wouldn't be much of a friend if I needed a formal verification that they appreciated something. And if they aren't a friend whats the point in giving a gift?


this is a good way to put it. i also think it's important to stress how meaningless the letters are. it's a glorified acknowledgment of receipt. when any given letter is written, "thankfulness" isn't what the writer is feeling. obligation. a sore wrist. being overwhelmed at how many more there are to go...

so if it's important that you get a letter, i'm again wondering - why?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,416
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:40 pm

ours was $37 for food, we supplied alcohol at around $2k total cost. so add $10 on to that. DJ was 1,000. Total cost per person there was probably $75. then figure in the favors you get that are about 3-4$ each.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,434
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 pm

I was talking to my mom a while back about wedding costs. I think invitations are an equally stupid thing to spend time and money on.

Why do you need to send an invitation through the mail? Before I got Netflix I opened my mailbox once every three or four weeks. I'd prefer a phone call or an email.

My mom's reply was "how will your grandmother know shes invited?" well because shes my grandmother and I just need to tell the date and time to put in her planner and my dad will be there to pick her up.

Sending an email with a click to rsvp sounds 1000 times cheaper and easier than a bunch of writing.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,346
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:44 pm

mac5155 wrote:we supplied alcohol at around $2k total cost.



How did that work? Did you pay a bartender? If you figure a handle at $30 and a keg at $75 thats a lot of booze.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,346
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 pm

shmenguin wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:For me I know my friends are thankful for whatever gift I can give them. They don't need to waste their time sending me a letter telling me that.

They wouldn't be much of a friend if I needed a formal verification that they appreciated something. And if they aren't a friend whats the point in giving a gift?


this is a good way to put it. i also think it's important to stress how meaningless the letters are. it's a glorified acknowledgment of receipt. when any given letter is written, "thankfulness" isn't what the writer is feeling. obligation. a sore wrist. being overwhelmed at how many more there are to go...

so if it's important that you get a letter, i'm again wondering - why?


I enjoy reading them... didn't know the world was so bitter about thank you notes.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,806
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:48 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I was talking to my mom a while back about wedding costs. I think invitations are an equally stupid thing to spend time and money on.

Why do you need to send an invitation through the mail? Before I got Netflix I opened my mailbox once every three or four weeks. I'd prefer a phone call or an email.

My mom's reply was "how will your grandmother know shes invited?" well because shes my grandmother and I just need to tell the date and time to put in her planner and my dad will be there to pick her up.

Sending an email with a click to rsvp sounds 1000 times cheaper and easier than a bunch of writing.


you pay someone to write them duh
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,776
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:50 pm

We had our wedding at a nice hotel/reception place in Poughkeepsie, NY. I think it ended up being around $75/head, but that included a full five hours of top-shelf open bar, a ton of incredible hor d'ouveres (yeah whatever), and dinner. I was extraordinarily impressed with the service....apparently one of my wife's friends from high school actually threw up on the table at like 7:15 PM. They had it cleaned up so quickly, had him taken out of there, and the table and settings replaced so fast that we never even knew about it until the next day.

He was the only guy that got that ridiculous, and again, that was like 15 minutes after our cocktail hour ended. What a mess.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 55,833
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:54 pm

ours will be roughly $50 a head once everything is said and done (that doesn't include things that we budgeted for in the wedding like photographer, our rings, our attire, that sort of stuff)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,806
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:42 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:we supplied alcohol at around $2k total cost.



How did that work? Did you pay a bartender? If you figure a handle at $30 and a keg at $75 thats a lot of booze.


Sorry, that included mixers and glassware as well at $4 a person, and we had right around 200 come. we went through 4 kegs, about 2 handles of 5 different liquors, and a case each of 3 different wines. plus $300 for 2 bartenders.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,434
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:41 am

Guess i'll bump this thead.

Got engaged this morning.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,887
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 am

heyooo congrats :thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,776
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Wedding Planning Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:44 am

morning? I'm interested in hearing the story. I don't think I hear of many morning engagements.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,806
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Digitalgypsy66, DropEmJayBird, ffemtreed, Gabe, Loaf31, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, mikey287, Rocco, skullman80, the wicked child and 9 guests

e-mail