Home Projects

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Home Projects

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:38 am

while this is a lot more luxurious than what i intend to do, im saving to create a room like this in my attic:

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am

Man, that's awesome.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:43 am

we need to have all the woodwork in our house re-painted. doors, molding, window frames, etc. my question is...if we want to do it right (clean it up, patch some holes/dents and maybe sand it first), and the molding isn't that attractive to begin with, should we just get new molding? my wife would rather pay someone to do it right as opposed to us doing it. would it be much more expensive to just replace it as opposed to have someone spend all that time to re-finish it?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 am

Malk I will ask her tonight. I want to say it was around $2,000 but not certain.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:56 am

shmenguin wrote:we need to have all the woodwork in our house re-painted. doors, molding, window frames, etc. my question is...if we want to do it right (clean it up, patch some holes/dents and maybe sand it first), and the molding isn't that attractive to begin with, should we just get new molding? my wife would rather pay someone to do it right as opposed to us doing it. would it be much more expensive to just replace it as opposed to have someone spend all that time to re-finish it?

With the price of woodwork I'd just get new stuff. My fiancee's mom just did new woodwork as well and got a composite style plastic stuff. It was a pain to work with because the saw kept melting it when we cut it but it looks nice otherwise and requires no care / finishing.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:18 am

the big difference in that room pictured and mine is that mine is the opposite - the flat walls are on the sides on the house, not the front and back. the front and back of the house have the angled ceilings (and windows), with little walk ways into where the windows are.

the idea is black out both windows and install a curtain of some sort over one of the walk ways, and build the other one into a media rack (and frige!) that will have a small pc and an xbox connected to a receiver and then onto a projector. ive been hoping to find a receiver that can do picture in picture with two separate video sources. that way i could have to two tv programs (march madness, nhl and nfl) on at once (one from the pc, one from the 360).

the walls will just be painted a dark color with a very non shiny paint, probably black. before i paint them im going to lay down speaker wire in the ceiling for 11 channels, just so i wont have to rip the plaster apart when i want to go up from 7 to 9 to 11.

im still waiting for projector prices to drop to do anything. you can get a 1080p 3D projector now for around $1500, but it is active shutter, meaning that I need a $100 pair of battery powered glasses for each viewer.

what i'd like to do is use two normal projectors connected to an Optoma 3DXL video processor that will take a 3D video and send each eye to it's own projector. the problem is that you need a projector with a shiftable lense to converge the two images. when those come down into the $1000 range I'll make my move. the other problem is the relatively short distance across the room means ill need a projector with a shorter throw distance.

the other major factor that is causing this to cost more than i want is furniture - the hallway leading to the 3rd floor is so narrow the furniture has to be extremely modular to fit and most of that stuff (think lovesac) is way more money.

something like this would be optimal but would never fit (and would cost way too much)

ive also honestly considered a patio sectional, since it would be a bit easier to get moved in. if i wanted to do it all now and use a basic 2D projector I have it figured at $3,000 to buy paint, a projector, receiver, very basic pc, and materials to build the screen.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 am

mac5155 wrote:Malk I will ask her tonight. I want to say it was around $2,000 but not certain.

Thanks man, if they don't answer that's more than fine. I'm just ultimately curious so I can have a number to go back to the wife with and see what she says.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:25 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Malk I will ask her tonight. I want to say it was around $2,000 but not certain.

Thanks man, if they don't answer that's more than fine. I'm just ultimately curious so I can have a number to go back to the wife with and see what she says.

The guy was a wacko but he was a really nice guy and did good work. Jsut be prepared to hear about his love life :D
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 am

mac5155 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

The guy was a wacko but he was a really nice guy and did good work. Jsut be prepared to hear about his love life :D

haha, if he does his job and does it well, he can talk to me all day.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:31 am

i went back to the thread i started a couple years ago about re-finishing my floors. i paid a little less than $3 per square foot. and that was with the full treatment - sanding/staining/poly
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:34 am

shmenguin wrote:i went back to the thread i started a couple years ago about re-finishing my floors. i paid a little less than $3 per square foot. and that was with the full treatment - sanding/staining/poly

Did you do it yourself or pay someone?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 am

Did I send you the info I was going to send Malk?

Edit: i couldn't have. You live in NJ or philly or somewhere.
Last edited by mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i went back to the thread i started a couple years ago about re-finishing my floors. i paid a little less than $3 per square foot. and that was with the full treatment - sanding/staining/poly

Did you do it yourself or pay someone?

paid someone
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 am

pardon the "CSB" moment, but i might as well document some of the projects we've had done, or done ourselves:

Bathroom renovation (we paid someone):
Spoiler:

Bedroom redo:
Spoiler:

Living room redo:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:52 am

shmenguin wrote:pardon the "CSB" moment, but i might as well document some of the projects we've had done, or done ourselves:

Spoiler:

Bedroom redo:
Spoiler:

Living room redo:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:09 pm

It really is incredible how much more awesome hardwood floors make your house look.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm

mac5155 wrote:It really is incredible how much more awesome hardwood floors make your house look.

i cant disagree more. i guess they make it look fancier, but i think its cold and uninviting.

i know im in the minority
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:16 pm

mac5155 wrote:It really is incredible how much more awesome hardwood floors make your house look.

Yea, every house I've seen that has hardwood floors just puts that look over the top. I love that we have an older house and the wood is all Oak for that reason.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:43 pm

shmenguin wrote:pardon the "CSB" moment, but i might as well document some of the projects we've had done, or done ourselves:

Spoiler:

Bedroom redo:
Spoiler:

Living room redo:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

That is awesome. Love the bathroom especially.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:59 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:That is awesome. Love the bathroom especially.

thanks. it's our only full bath, so we had to do it right.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:

Don't you love the curved shower rod? We just did our bathroom and that was something we put in, and I was amazed as to how much room it added to the shower.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Don't you love the curved shower rod? We just did our bathroom and that was something we put in, and I was amazed as to how much room it added to the shower.

yes. but the one thing that irks me about the bathroom is that the guy who re-did it didn't put the shower rod far enough out. so the mounts are actually inside the tub area, and the curve baaaarely goes past where a normal shower rod would go. can't really do anything about it now, since he presumably drilled into the tile to mount it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 pm

could you find a rod with a bigger bend or modify yours to bend more?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:35 pm

so you want him to find a bigger rod with more bend?
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:36 pm

Juice wrote:so you want him to find a bigger rod with more bend?

yes. thats what im saying.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR