LGP Fantasy Baseball League

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Fantasy Baseball League - Year 3

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 am

So, we've run into this issue in the hockey league and I would like to bring it up here.

I want to drop Mark Teixeira. He's basically done for the regular season. He has 1 year left on his deal. He won't go on DL because roster size expansion, but it wouldn't matter anyway because I have two already there. This has happened to us in the NHL playoffs before in our contract league. Teams battling in the finals have too many injuries and want to use a buyout year on an expiring guy they are going to lose anyway. Doesn't seem right that someone like Teixeira should be out there to be signed by the top waiver team for multiple years and kept out of next year's draft. Also doesn't seem right that a team trying to win the championship should be forced to keep him or give someone a freebie multi-year guy.

In hockey once the playoffs start, anyone dropped can't be signed for more than one year. I think it would be similarly fair and reasonable to say the same thing in this league after, say, Sept. 1?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:58 am

By the way, that 3 year deal to Medlen is interesting. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:01 am

why is that?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Because he's not a long term starter.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Is there no chance that he will be? I never understood why he was moved out in the first place?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Are you complaining, or do you have a suggestion to alleviate this problem?

:pop:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:56 pm

He has always been a reliever in their system. He's obviously capable of starting, but I can't see it happening unless he leaves them no choice. He'll finish out the season for sure, but I don't know about next season. Hudson(probably), Hanson, Beachy, Tehran, Delgado, Jurrjens, Minor all in the mix ahead of him. THey're all definitely starters, he's been effective as a reliever. He's good for them because he can seemingly jump from one to the other in a matter of a couple of weeks of conditioning, which may be a detriment to his fantasy value.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Are you complaining, or do you have a suggestion to alleviate this problem?

If this is a response to my rant the other day, my proposal would be no signing players dropped by another team to multiple years after 9/1. That's the same time that rosters "expand" so, theoretically, it shouldn't be too bad to just have this rule out there?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:He has always been a reliever in their system. He's obviously capable of starting, but I can't see it happening unless he leaves them no choice. He'll finish out the season for sure, but I don't know about next season. Hudson(probably), Hanson, Beachy, Tehran, Delgado, Jurrjens, Minor all in the mix ahead of him. THey're all definitely starters, he's been effective as a reliever. He's good for them because he can seemingly jump from one to the other in a matter of a couple of weeks of conditioning, which may be a detriment to his fantasy value.

Interesting. I don't follow them closely or anything. If this performance hasn't forced their hand, I don't know what would. Seems like a waste to have him relegated to the pen.

Also, Jurrjens? Really?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Are you complaining, or do you have a suggestion to alleviate this problem?

If this is a response to my rant the other day, my proposal would be no signing players dropped by another team to multiple years after 9/1. That's the same time that rosters "expand" so, theoretically, it shouldn't be too bad to just have this rule out there?

I did not see your rant. And that is a reasonable request. I don't think we can implement a rule change now because this isn't something that happens all the time.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Yeah we can. Players bought out after 9/1 can't be signed to a multi-year deal. Makes perfect sense and I'm on board
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:He has always been a reliever in their system. He's obviously capable of starting, but I can't see it happening unless he leaves them no choice. He'll finish out the season for sure, but I don't know about next season. Hudson(probably), Hanson, Beachy, Tehran, Delgado, Jurrjens, Minor all in the mix ahead of him. THey're all definitely starters, he's been effective as a reliever. He's good for them because he can seemingly jump from one to the other in a matter of a couple of weeks of conditioning, which may be a detriment to his fantasy value.

Interesting. I don't follow them closely or anything. If this performance hasn't forced their hand, I don't know what would. Seems like a waste to have him relegated to the pen.

Also, Jurrjens? Really?

Jurrjens was an all star 13 months ago. 13 months ago, Medlen was recovering from surgery and had a total of less than 20 career starts over a couple of seasons. I love the guy and what he has done for my favorite team when he has been healthy, but its been 8 starts, lets be realistic here. Zack Duke was pencilled in as a Pirates future ace during his rookie season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Oops. I thought Jurrjens was two years removed from that season.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 pm

gaby sanchez was an all star 14 months ago.

not sure which all star game was 13 months ago :pop:
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 am

Jurrjens didn't play last September. He was an all star that season(and a All-Star game starter by the way). Therefore he was an all-star 13 months ago.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:33 am

I dont know what happened with the proposed rule, but im going away forthe weekend and this season is lost so i dont care if i waste roster position.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I dont know what happened with the proposed rule, but im going away forthe weekend and this season is lost so i dont care if i waste roster position.

I'm pretty sure that rule should be/has been passed and your signing is not legal.

Worth a shot i guess
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 pm

It makes a great deal of sense to me, but it doesn't seem too many are following at this point in the year. Guess that's what happens when someone runs away with it. :strut:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 am

so is my medlen signing legit or not? it was completed before the revised rules were enacted.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:so is my medlen signing legit or not? it was completed before the revised rules were enacted.

I believed I dropped Medlen prior to September. In fact, I'm sure I did. So, that signing would not come within the purview of the proposed rule.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:55 am

OH so this is only signing players that have been dropped? not signing any player?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:02 am

yep. The thinking is that it allows teams in the hunt to manage their roster without regard to someone getting a freebie long-term deal on a high-end-of-the-draft caliber player. Its especially necessary because there's no need for teams to use the DL after rosters expand.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 am

I don't understand why september signings mean less. I had to carry 2 guys who were on IR even though I didn't have spots for them all year long. Who is to say that didn't contribute to me being out of the running now? In fact, I'd argue that had a great deal to do with it. I do not agree with the proposed rule, even if you dropped him under the assumption that he wouldn't be picked up and I can't have him, the rule should not remain in place moving forward. This is a Roto league, there are no playoffs. May is just as meaningful as September.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 am

I guess its a bit distinguishable since there are no playoffs, but I think the real problem is that teams have no need to use the DL after 9/1. That's where the date comes from, so it's not an arbitrary date at all. Under the original rules, our rosters were to expand in September, but Yahoo! would not allow us to do that after we did it the first year on Fantrax. Placing teams in contention in the dilemma of having to choose whether to allow high-end injured players (out for the season), who are on deals that are set to expire, rot on the bench so that another team doesn't get a freebie multi-year deal and the upcoming draft pool is not diluted or whether to manage the roster without regard to this problem just seems problematic. I acknowledge that its different than "playoffs" but I think the fact that teams don't use DL after 9/1 is just as valid a reason to institute a similar rule.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 am

Also to note, I made the decision to drop Teixeira without regard to whether such a rule would be implemented (at the time few had commented). I don't really care what happens with him other than that it is an instance of something that I think there should be a rule to govern so for the same reasons already stated I don't really like it, but I have no heightened stake in that particular transaction/player.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR