LGP Fantasy Baseball League

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Fantasy Baseball League - Year 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Loaf31 wrote:If a guy is on LTIR, does that eat a year of his contract?

Yes
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Farm Eligibility (to my knowledge and what I included in the CBA):

Pitchers - 200 IP or 75 appearances

Hitters - 500 ABs
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Regarding the Idoit clause...

I am going to try and present this in a way you guys can understand...

Problem: MLB teams do not put injured players on the disabled list once MLB rosters are expanded. This affects FANTASY teams in such a way that a player who is injured at that point in time aren't able to be placed on the FANTASY Disabled List, even if the FANTASY manager has no other players on the disabled list. This does not occur as extensively or have anywhere near as much of an impact on FANTASY play in any other sport.

We should all agree that this is a problem - that is a fact.

How do we Solve this Problem:

Idoit - Idoit claims that managers should have to either run a player short or buy the player out.

Kraftster - Kraftster thinks that player should be able to be bought out and unavailable to a multi-year deal for other FANTASY managers.

COMPROMISE: We come up with a way to adjust the FANTASY Disabled List system in such a way that A) players not on the official MLB disabled list following roster expansion can be replaced on the FANTASY roster, and B) there is no contract term-limit when it comes to signing FANTASY free agents.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:40 pm

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS: Any change in this circumstance will have to be a result of amendment to the FANTASY disabled list system. This can be done a number of ways.

1. The FANTASY disabled list is unlimited. Any player that is placed on the MLB Disabled List, as well as any player in September known to be out for an extended period of time (minimum 15 days) can be replaced by any Free Agent or Farm Team Player.

2. The FANTASY disabled list is unlimited, but callups are regulated in such a way that there is a maximum # of free agent replacements, the rest must be from the farm team. This effectively places some sort of limit on FANTASY disabled list spots, as most farm teams have only a few players already in the MLB.

3. The FANTASY disabled list remains limited throughout the season, but is unlimited beginning in September.

4. The FANTASY disabled list remains limited throughout the season, but is amended in September, allowing for a limited number of special case DL additions.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Mr. Colby's Comments:

Solution 1. I believe this leaves way too much margin for error and takes away the element of drafting for health - there is essentially no risk in drafting injury-prone players.

Solution 3: This puts managers dealing with severe injury problems before September at a disadvantage (i.e. Idoit having as many as 5 players on the MLB DL at one time last season).

Solution 4: This solves the problem of big-name expiring contracts (Tex) that Kraftster is having, but still leaves people like Idoit with multiple injuries in June at a disadvantage - there is no special case for that person.

Solution 2: This solves Idoit's problem and Kraftster's problem, but hurts teams that draft for far in the future as opposed to the "soon".

The best solution IMO is a hybrid of Solutions 2 and 4. I think a good central compromise would be to this:

1. Allow unlimited (or a higher number of) DL spots throughout the season. Limit free agent replacements to a certain number (1 or 2), while requiring the rest of the callups to be farm players.
2. Allow for a limited number of players not on the MLB DL to be placed on FANTASY DL in September. This could be strictly regulated.

Please give me some feedback on this - I can't understand why something like this wouldn't be OK with everyone, considering the point of the league is franchise-style.

Plus we need some legitimate feedback and to take this to vote so we can **** get something rule-related accomplished here and stop flying by the seat of our pants.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:58 pm

Last Post - I'm going to propose a rule, if I have a 2nd we will take it to league vote.

DL Amendment: Managers may have up to five (5) players on the Disabled List at any time throughout the course of the season. No more than two (2) replacements at any time may come from the Free Agent pool. The rest of the replacements must come from that Manager's farm team. In the month of September, managers may place up to two (2) injured players on the Disabled List that are not officially on their Major League Club's disabled list, but they will count against the overall Disabled List total of five (5). Additionally, managers are given the ability to place one (1) player on Long-Term Disabled List, provided that player is on his Major League Club's 60-day Disabled List or announced as "Out-for-the-Season". That player's contract cap hit will then not count against the upper limit, but he will be unavailable to that manager even if he does return.

We can take this to league vote, or we can negotiate some of the numbers I put in there, but I think this is something that will accomplish everything both sides of the debate wants to accomplish while keeping the league fair and competitive.

Thanks, sorry for all the reading I caused you.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I think that is a great, comprehensive proposal, and I certainly second the proposed rule, with one clarification of what I expect is an inadvertent expansion of a current rule. I believe the proposal should read:

DL Amendment: Managers may have up to five (5) players on the Disabled List at any time throughout the course of the season. No more than two (2) replacements at any time may come from the Free Agent pool. The rest of the replacements must come from that Manager's farm team. In the month of September, managers may place up to two (2) injured players on the Disabled List that are not officially on their Major League Club's disabled list, but they will count against the overall Disabled List total of five (5). Additionally, managers are given the ability to place one (1) player on Long-Term Disabled List, provided that player is on his Major League Club's 60-day Disabled List or announced as "Out-for-the-Season". One year of that player's contract cap hit will then not count against the upper limit, but he will be unavailable to that manager even if he does return.

The rule is currently set up so that only one year comes off of your cap. I recall this specifically because I advocated for all years coming off but that was met with little support. So, I expect that you did not intend to also seek a change to this rule (we'll be lucky enough to fix the other issues, let alone adding a new one into things).

I would also point out that Yahoo! (sucks and) will likely not accommodate this expanded DL system (injured but not on MLB DL) and it is likely something that we will have to track ourselves. This should not be a problem because we already do that with LTIR, but I am simply point it out.

Thank you for your l;dr contributions!
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Couldn't we just say that you can add the injured guy to your DL, but can't take him off until the next season? This would only be for the post-callup period. Maybe this was mentioned, but I didn't read everything.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 pm

I also propose again to leave yahoo.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks Kraft. So as it stands we will work off of this:

DL Amendment 1.0: Managers may have up to five (5) players on the Disabled List at any time throughout the course of the season. No more than two (2) replacements at any time may come from the Free Agent pool. The rest of the replacements must come from that Manager's farm team. In the month of September, managers may place up to two (2) injured players on the Disabled List that are not officially on their Major League Club's disabled list, but they will count against the overall Disabled List total of five (5). Additionally, managers are given the ability to place one (1) player on Long-Term Disabled List, provided that player is on his Major League Club's 60-day Disabled List or announced as "Out-for-the-Season". One year of that player's contract cap hit will then not count against the upper limit, but he will be unavailable to that manager even if he does return.

I'd like to hear Idoit, Troy, Beerman provide input before we put this up for vote, considering they are the more vocal ones as pertains to this idea. This will give me a chance to make tweaks to help alleviate concerns they may have, especially with some of the numbers above.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

MWB wrote:I also propose again to leave yahoo.

This is something I don't particularly care about either way, so if you get enough people for this, I'm fine with it
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:53 pm

MWB wrote:Couldn't we just say that you can add the injured guy to your DL, but can't take him off until the next season? This would only be for the post-callup period. Maybe this was mentioned, but I didn't read everything.

We could certainly change the rule and add in this suggestion... depending on what others think.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWB on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
MWB wrote:Couldn't we just say that you can add the injured guy to your DL, but can't take him off until the next season? This would only be for the post-callup period. Maybe this was mentioned, but I didn't read everything.

We could certainly change the rule and add in this suggestion... depending on what others think.

I'm fine with whatever. I was thinking that before that amendment was crafted. Was just trying to think of a quick fix.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 pm

MWB wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

I'm fine with whatever. I was thinking that before that amendment was crafted. Was just trying to think of a quick fix.

I think for now I'll stick with it as is, but if Idoit still strongly opposes the idea then we will make it such that September DL guys that aren't put on their MLB team DL can be placed on "September DL" whereby his cap hit still counts and he takes up one of the 5 disabled list spots, but he can't be put back onto your team if he returns.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:28 am

Why does it matter where DL replacements come from. Why couldn't all replacements be free agents? This just punishes people who draft long term prospects.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 pm

i have 26 rookies via my trades this year. our limit is 20. do i need to get to 20 before the draft? when i draft more rookies, will i have to further parse?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 pm

Yeah, you will end up with 20, you have to get down to 20 at most before the draft, and if you do that, you'd get 0 rookies in the draft.

I was trying to think of a way to allow people in your situation to keep everyone, but i'm not sure how to really let it work. 20 farm players is a ton. There are always people I have my eye on to draft, so I will always make room to draft people. Usually make a little too much room.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:16 pm

so if i get down to 20 by the draft, i am unable to draft any additional rookies?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm

That is my understanding of our rules. 20 is the max you can have. If you're protecting 20 going into the draft, those are your 20.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 pm

hrm
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah, looking back to last year, if you keep 20, then you will just get one pick in the draft for each open roster spot you have on the regular team. Are you sure all of your 26 still qualify as rookies and that you want to keep all of them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:26 pm

no i definitely dont want to keep all 26. just trying to plan how much slashing.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I think I basically left myself with 9 picks in last years draft. I ended up taking 2 throw away players...but to be fair, I got rid of like 5 throw aways from the year before.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm

i am not sure if that is how we did things last year because people just kept drafting and then cut after the draft
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I don't understand why someone would have to drop down to 20 for the draft? If you're over 20 you just can't draft anyone.

Edit: Well, you can draft and cut, I guess, like we allowed last year.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR