LGP Fantasy Baseball League

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Fantasy Baseball League - Year 3

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:05 pm

I was under the impression that we weren't allowing it last year, the purpose was so that people couldn't basically just block players from being eligible for everyone else in the draft. Going back through the thread, everyone was figuring out who many picks they had based on how many MLB roster spots they had to fill and how many farm roster spots they had to fill.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Oh, ok. Yeah, I don't have a problem with disallowing overdrafting, but I think teams should be permitted to continue to carry more than 20 if that's what they have going in.

Or I guess what makes sense is to require that any current rookies be cut before the draft if you don't want them. If you carry them on your team into the draft then you are stuck with them. This would allow overdrafting but you would have to whittle down to 20 among only new draft picks. And if you had 20+ none of this would apply at all to you.
Last edited by Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I agree with that, but I think that should bar you from drafting farm players in the draft.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Yeah I don't think there should be over drafting of prospects no matter which way we decide to do it.. It doesn't really matter to me if you cut the number of prospects down to 20 before or after the draft (before probably makes more sense though). I think each team should have no more than 20 though when we start the season, if you go over during the season due to trades no problems there.

I think the best way is probably how we did it last year where the number of picks you get in the draft is the number of available spots on your MLB roster plus open spots on the farm team.

With regards to the September DL rule I'm fine with what was proposed but I think it should probably include what MWB said about not having that player available until the next season. In general the rule should be fine but there's some gray area there in terms of just throwing a non-DL guy on our own version of the DL. If its widely assumed the player in question is out for the year that's great but what if someone rolls an ankle or tweaks a groin and they're assumed to be out a random amount of time but they heal quickly and come back? If you take the chance they'll be out a short time and they come back then good for you but you shouldn't get a replacement for say a week and then be able to revert back to your original player if they make a quick recovery.

Also another option could be just flat out expand rosters all year? This is the deepest league I'm in terms of the number of prospects involved but it has the smallest roster size. There are always some pretty decent players left on the free agent market during the season, if there were more bench spots there would be more possibilities for replacements during injury shortages. Could kind of split the difference a little on the adding of DL spots, instead of increasing from 2 to 5, it could go to 3 or 4 while increasing roster size to 23 or 24.. Always the option of adding a second utility spot as well, most leagues seem to have two.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:36 pm

I agree with you guys on the draft - no overdrafting. But if LITT has over 20 prospects he doesn't have to drop them just can't draft until below 20.

Regarding 5 dl replacements... I dont care where they come from i just thought you guys had reason to oppose. We can say 5 from anywhere. Are you on board idoit? m
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I will rewrite the rule with beerman and idoit changes

My vote would be roster at 22 and dl at 5 though
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Absolutely the player can't be available the rest of the year -- I definitely agree there.

Does roster expansion bring with it the need for an innings and GP limit? If so, I think I'd like to stay where we are at.

Also, we had talked about doing something like QS instead of Wins this year, but I can't remember if we ever reached a conclusion on that. Probably good to get that figured out before the draft.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 pm

And also not sure I understand why someone would have to bring their rookies below 20 if they acquire more through trading? That makes it more difficult for bad teams to rebuild and is probably a disincentive for trading. Fine with no overdrafting, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Roster expansion would bring in the need for more buyouts... we need to stay at 22 and just add DL instead of overcomplicating things
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby beerman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm fine either way on roster expansion was just throwing it out there, but IMO it would require less buyouts simply because there's less quality players available to pick up.. Most of the reason I use most of my buyouts is because there's good players available. I don't think it necessitates a GP or IP limit either.

I think we were contemplating quality starts in place of wins, I think that was the only change but there may have been another..

I think cutting to 20 on the prospects was just to keep the number somewhat under control. I know we had discussion on it at one point and the consensus was to keep the max at 20 at the draft and you could only go over during the season.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

I think it was either: quality starts and strikeouts or Innings pitched and K/9

I'm for QS instead of wins and keeping K's a counting stat

Also - I will make adjustments to the Google doc tonight to reflect all rule changes
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

I would be in favor of QS instead of Wins. Don't really are about counting stats vs. ratios.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

Since I took the liberty to draw up the league rules I will do my best to enforce throughout the season but obviously help from owners will be appreciated
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 pm

No to K/9. I'm ok with QS, but also fine with Wins. 5 DL should be fine. If someone suffers more major losses than that...well that really sucks haha. I have no problem with carrying over more prospects than 20, but I can't imagine anyone has 15 prospects that they're in love with, much less 20. Basically just think of it as the expanded(40-man) roster. 20 is plenty really and keeping it that way would basically be like taking the rule 5 draft one step further(or shorter I guess, it eliminates the need for something like that).
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 pm

can someone summarize the new rules? the wall of text above was daunting.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

i will momentarily.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Rule Changes:

1. Disabled List - DL has now been expanded to 5 players. Replacement players for guys on the DL can be from either your farm team or from free agency. Players must still be activated within 7 days of a DL player's major league activation.

2. September DL - Beginning in the month of September, managers may place up to 2 players on the "September Disabled List", provided those players are injured and expected to miss a significant amount of time. These players will still count against the 5 player regular DL limit and the contract years cap. Players on the September DL are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

3. Long-Term DL - Each manager has the option of placing one player on Long-Term DL at any time, provided that player is on his MLB team's 60-day DL or will miss an equivalent amount of time. These players will not count against the 5 player regular DL limit. Additionally, the current contract year will not count against the manager's cap (however LTDL players on multi-year deals will still have remaining years counted.) Players on the LTDL still do burn a contract year, but are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

4. Pitching Stats - Under Pitching stats, Quality Starts will be used in place of Wins. All else will remain the same.

5. Draft Rounds Limit - Managers must state ahead of time how many rounds they will be drafting, and it will be set as such that upon conclusion of the draft, each team has 22 MLB players and 20 farm team players.
Last edited by Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Open Items:

1. Free Buyout Years - most of you expressed a desire to shorten buyout years to 8, to hinder people from using left-overs in the offseason. I proposed that we have 10 in-season buyouts with the option to carry over only the first 8 (to the offseason, all buyouts are reset following the draft of each year). It would shape up like this:

Buyouts used: Eligible to Carry Over:
4 4
5 3
6 2
7 1
8, 9, 10 0

I never got any feedback on this, the reason I advocate this is to alleviate the drop from 12 for teams who use a lot of in-season buyouts especially for guys on 1-year deals.

2. Retired/Expat Players - This came about for me last year. I had Ryan Franklin signed for 2 more years and he retired, and I got to drop him for free. I think there should be some sort of buyout required for retirees or for players who have moved to play overseas.

3. Qualifying Farm Team Players - how will this work now that we're setting draft limits? I'm assuming all qualified farm team players must be signed to deals now, since we will have a hard limit on draft rounds for each manager.

4. Prospect Limits - What did we decide on this? Keep as many as you want and only draft when you have less than 20, or enter the season carrying no more than 20?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I like 8. I don't want people to be able to use a lot of in-season buyouts. They should be pressed if they're making a lot of moves because of bad drafting. I'd also like some sort of roster freeze in September. People should not be able to use their remaining buyout years to squeeze a couple of extra starts at the end of the season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm

Which I did last year...

Well if we did expand to the 8/10 rule I proposed above I'd be open to allowing a September 20 roster freeze or something... and only allow DL moves from that point on. Otherwise having a flat 8 buyouts sort of already covers that and you should be rewarded for saving them up all year by being allowed to use them on the 2nd to last day.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Kraftster wrote:Absolutely the player can't be available the rest of the year -- I definitely agree there.

Does roster expansion bring with it the need for an innings and GP limit? If so, I think I'd like to stay where we are at.

Also, we had talked about doing something like QS instead of Wins this year, but I can't remember if we ever reached a conclusion on that. Probably good to get that figured out before the draft.

I agree with beer man on expanded rosters. Could easily help reduce the DL situation as well. I don't think we'd need any innings or GP limits.

Definitely like QS over wins. Not perfect, but better barometer of performance.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I see no need for limits and i think rosters are fine as is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I see no need for limits and i think rosters are fine as is.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Please discuss only the open items
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Blank