LGP Fantasy Baseball League

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Fantasy Baseball League - Year 3

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Rule Changes:

1. Disabled List - DL has now been expanded to 5 players. Replacement players for guys on the DL can be from either your farm team or from free agency. Players must still be activated within 7 days of a DL player's major league activation.

2. September DL - Beginning in the month of September, managers may place up to 2 players on the "September Disabled List", provided those players are injured and expected to miss a significant amount of time. These players will still count against the 5 player regular DL limit and the contract years cap. Players on the September DL are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

3. Long-Term DL - Each manager has the option of placing one player on Long-Term DL at any time, provided that player is on his MLB team's 60-day DL or will miss an equivalent amount of time. These players will not count against the 5 player regular DL limit. Additionally, the current contract year will not count against the manager's cap (however LTDL players on multi-year deals will still have remaining years counted.) Players on the LTDL still do burn a contract year, but are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

4. Pitching Stats - Under Pitching stats, Quality Starts will be used in place of Wins. All else will remain the same.

5. Draft Rounds Limit - Managers must state ahead of time how many rounds they will be drafting, and it will be set as such that upon conclusion of the draft, each team has 22 MLB players and 20 farm team players.
Last edited by Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Open Items:

1. Free Buyout Years - most of you expressed a desire to shorten buyout years to 8, to hinder people from using left-overs in the offseason. I proposed that we have 10 in-season buyouts with the option to carry over only the first 8 (to the offseason, all buyouts are reset following the draft of each year). It would shape up like this:

Buyouts used: Eligible to Carry Over:
4 4
5 3
6 2
7 1
8, 9, 10 0

I never got any feedback on this, the reason I advocate this is to alleviate the drop from 12 for teams who use a lot of in-season buyouts especially for guys on 1-year deals.

2. Retired/Expat Players - This came about for me last year. I had Ryan Franklin signed for 2 more years and he retired, and I got to drop him for free. I think there should be some sort of buyout required for retirees or for players who have moved to play overseas.

3. Qualifying Farm Team Players - how will this work now that we're setting draft limits? I'm assuming all qualified farm team players must be signed to deals now, since we will have a hard limit on draft rounds for each manager.

4. Prospect Limits - What did we decide on this? Keep as many as you want and only draft when you have less than 20, or enter the season carrying no more than 20?

5. Platform - Are we sticking with Yahoo or do we want to move to ESPN, Fantrax, whatever.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 pm

I haven't received any roster info from ulf yet. Does anyone else have that info?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

my stuff is on the google doc...hold on i'll grab it and post it, figured someone would hook you up with that
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 pm

can someone share the google doc with me please? apparently i lost access when they changed to google "drive"
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:35 pm

lol nevermind, just me being dumb. forgot I used my school gmail account. SDD care to share your email address? PM if you'd like
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:38 pm

PS I apologize for the Jonathan Sanchez contract, but I offer Mike Trout at as many years as you'd like as an apology.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby beerman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Open items..

1. I'm fine with either 8 or 10, my vote would be for 10 though.

2. There definitely should be some sort of buyout penalty, I'd be fine with whatever the remaining cap hit is for that player being the penalty. In most cases I can't imagine someone retiring so suddenly where someone would get stuck with a 5 year cap penalty. If someone retires I'd be surprised if they were signed for any more than 2 years.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by all qualifying players need to be signed to deals? If you mean the farm guys losing eligibility needing signed prior to the draft because of the rounds issue, I thought that was what we've been doing, that's at least how it was supposed to go last year.. You probably don't have to give them a contract in advance but I think you should have to designate whether they'll be mlb or farm prior to the draft.

4. I like 20, mainly because I'm not sure there are more than 220 worthwhile prospects. I think between prospects losing eligibility, getting injured and sucking as they move up the ranks you can probably turn over enough each year even if you've acquired 4-5 extra through the season.

5. Yahoo
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 pm

beerman wrote:Open items..

1. I'm fine with either 8 or 10, my vote would be for 10 though.

2. There definitely should be some sort of buyout penalty, I'd be fine with whatever the remaining cap hit is for that player being the penalty. In most cases I can't imagine someone retiring so suddenly where someone would get stuck with a 5 year cap penalty. If someone retires I'd be surprised if they were signed for any more than 2 years.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by all qualifying players need to be signed to deals? If you mean the farm guys losing eligibility needing signed prior to the draft because of the rounds issue, I thought that was what we've been doing, that's at least how it was supposed to go last year.. You probably don't have to give them a contract in advance but I think you should have to designate whether they'll be mlb or farm prior to the draft.

4. I like 20, mainly because I'm not sure there are more than 220 worthwhile prospects. I think between prospects losing eligibility, getting injured and sucking as they move up the ranks you can probably turn over enough each year even if you've acquired 4-5 extra through the season.

5. Yahoo

1. 10, but I believe that there should be no buyouts in the off-season that utilize remaining free buyout years. What we do in my hockey league is -- you buy them out during the year if you want to use FBY and during our offseason you can buy guys out and take the whole hit against your cap the next year or spread it out evenly over x number of years. I think there needs to be a real penalty to signing bad long-term deals.

2. I don't think there should be any penalty.

3. As beerman said, this was already required. If you indicate that you are keeping someone who lost eligibility in the prior season then you must sign that player to at least 1 year deal. You don't have to choose contract length until after the draft when you can see what your roster looks like.

4. I think players should be permitted to carry more than 20 prospects but can never draft in excess of 20.

5. Fantrax is not an option, it was not well received (though they have made many changes). I think the only thing I hate more than Yahoo! is ESPN fantasy. Unless there is another option (CBS?), then I think I would be in favor of keeping Yahoo! (ugh).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

1. I vote 8

2. I think the penalty should be 1 year cap hit regardless of remaining contract years.

3. Same as others said.

4. I don't think anyone should be able to hold more than 20. If you're above 20, you should have to cut down predraft.

5. Prefer espn to yahoo. CBS is good, but don't know that they have a free option. Yahoo is my last choice, but I know I'm in the minority.

Colby, thanks for getting all this organized.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I abstain from all votes as a newbie.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby beerman on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:16 pm

My only reason for yahoo is my other leagues are all on there and I don't have to remember to go elsewhere
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 pm

i turned the keys over to SDD guys. Thanks for having me, it's a fun league. I liked my farm too, I had second thoughts on leaving when I opened the google doc back up.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:23 pm

beerman wrote:My only reason for yahoo is my other leagues are all on there and I don't have to remember to go elsewhere

And this is part of the reason I dislike yahoo. :lol:
I have no other leagues there and I forget to go there.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm

8 years, yahoo.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 am

I am a little confused about the re-sign certificates. How many do I have available to use? I also have noticed that some of you have mentioned that you have re-sign certs from previous seasons, but I don't see any inventory of the certs in the Google doc. Is that something that can be tracked going forward?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:30 am

You have both, I haven't re signed anyone yet
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:33 am

We haven't been separately tracking them, though we should be. Everyone has sort of just been tracking their own.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks ulf
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Rule Changes:

1. Disabled List - DL has now been expanded to 5 players. Replacement players for guys on the DL can be from either your farm team or from free agency. Players must still be activated within 7 days of a DL player's major league activation.

2. September DL - Beginning in the month of September, managers may place up to 2 players on the "September Disabled List", provided those players are injured and expected to miss a significant amount of time. These players will still count against the 5 player regular DL limit and the contract years cap. Players on the September DL are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

3. Long-Term DL - Each manager has the option of placing one player on Long-Term DL at any time, provided that player is on his MLB team's 60-day DL or will miss an equivalent amount of time. These players will not count against the 5 player regular DL limit. Additionally, the current contract year will not count against the manager's cap (however LTDL players on multi-year deals will still have remaining years counted.) Players on the LTDL still do burn a contract year, but are not eligible to return at any point in the season, even if they return to their MLB team.

4. Pitching Stats - Under Pitching stats, Quality Starts will be used in place of Wins. All else will remain the same.

5. Draft Rounds Limit - Managers must state ahead of time how many rounds they will be drafting, and it will be set as such that upon conclusion of the draft, each team has 22 MLB players and 20 farm team players.

6. Farm Team Roster Limit - Farm teams must not exceed 20 players at the start of any season, but may carry more throughout the course of the season as a result of trades. Prior to the draft, however, managers do not have to designate which players will remain on the farm. Basically, this means that if I have 10 MLB guys and 20 farm guys, I am drafting 12 rounds. I am free to draft a farm team player, but I must then sign one of my pre-draft 20 to a Contract (this is the same as it was, just clarifying for people).
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Open Items:

1. Free Buyout Years: - VOTE

8 - Idoit, MWB
10 - Beerman, Kraftster, Mr. Colby

Vote not Received - Kicksave, Troy Loney, Loaf, LITT, Schreibdog
Not Eligible - SDD

2. Retired/Expat Players - I think what MWB suggested - which is a 1-year buyout penalty regardless of contract length - is a good middle ground between what Kraftster and Beerman suggested. Can we agree on this?

3. Off-season Buyouts - what's the decision on allowing free buyout years to carry over? Lets get some hard votes one way or the other. If the decision is no, then we need to visit Kraftster's suggested off-season buyout plan.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Google Doc:

We need Schreibdog and Troy Loney to get their spreadsheets updated... neither of them ever provided one for the 2012 season
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Finally sat down and went over my team. I haven't finalized my team prior to the draft yet, but I'm pretty close. When is the deadline for setting rosters prior to the draft?
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't know... I think they said the draft is going to start the 4th so I would assume our rosters would be due ~ a week prior to that so maybe next monday?

All that needs to be done is making decisions on expired farm players, resigns, and cutting farm players i think?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR