Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Postby skullman80 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah not sure why Zimmerman carrying a gun is a big deal. He was acquitted. He has a license to carry. Nothing wrong with it at all.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm

skullman80 wrote:Yeah not sure why Zimmerman carrying a gun is a big deal. He was acquitted. He has a license to carry. Nothing wrong with it at all.

how many more innocent african american children does this guy have to kill before we take his gun away?!?!

Spoiler:
please note, there are large amounts of sarcasm in this post.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:27 pm

count2infinity wrote:
skullman80 wrote:Yeah not sure why Zimmerman carrying a gun is a big deal. He was acquitted. He has a license to carry. Nothing wrong with it at all.

how many more innocent african american children does this guy have to kill ?!?!

Spoiler:
please note, there are large amounts of sarcasm in this post.

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kaizer on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 pm

if i were him, i would have more than just that one.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Factorial wrote:
Police in Texas have pulled over George Zimmerman for speeding and then the man acquitted in one of America's most controversial trials in years alerted the officer that he had a gun in his glove compartment.

http://gma.yahoo.com/george-zimmerman-c ... ories.html

Good call. You don't want to get shot when the cop sees a gun when you get your info out.

From what I've read, the best advice in that situation is to not speak the words, "I have a gun," or any derivation thereof. What you should do is simply hand your CCW to the officer along with your drivers license and insurance card. He sees it and can take the situation where he deems appropriate. Just for the love of baby Jeezus don't ever say "gun" to a cop.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:14 pm

well, this headline is pretty bogus. how did he alert the cops? there is a big difference between, "just so you know, officer... i have a legal handgun in my glove box, and here is my paperwork for it." and "I HAVE A GUN!!! :scared:"

this is totally a non story
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 am

Froggy wrote:well, this headline is pretty bogus. how did he alert the cops? there is a big difference between, "just so you know, officer... i have a legal handgun in my glove box, and here is my paperwork for it." and "I HAVE A GUN!!! :scared:"

this is totally a non story

I was in my really stale driving and looking rental car while traveling for work and scanning through some radio stations yesterday. I came across an urban station and the hosts were going bonkers over this. All saying the same version of "he had a gun and he wasnt arrested! :scared: I guess race does matter if George Zimmerman can just keep guns on him", one kept referring to him as "trigger happy" and "someone explain to me how he can have a gun and not be arrested if its not because he is white, arrest him, just arrest him!"

All sorts of people calling in going crazy over it. After 5 or 10 minutes of almost pure entertainment I started to scan for stations again. I understand this isnt indicative of every single person who wasnt for the GZ court decision and lots have rationale thoughts. But wow this was a nice snapshot of what is wrong with this country. I understand some radio hosts or the like are entertainers and not news outlets but you still have to have some responsibility.

BTW - yes not using IHeartRadio or Pandora or songs on my iPhone is old school but sometimes when I am traveling I like to listen to different radio stations, mostly to see if there are good radio hosts left.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 pm

A Lincoln-Lemington man surrendered this afternoon -- 24 hours after he was released after giving police a statement -- in connection with the weekend shooting death of a former football player.
Isiah Smith, 22, arrived at the Pittsburgh police bureau's North Side headquarters about 3 p.m., accompanied by his family. Mr. Smith faces charges of homicide, aggravated assault and recklessly endangering another person.
Homicide detectives obtained a warrant for him today.
A University of Pittsburgh police sergeant heard a shot fired near the corner of Forbes Avenue and Bouquet Street about 3:30 a.m. Saturday and called via radio for help from city police officers.
When they arrived, they found Zachary Sheridan, 24, of Brookline, a former Slippery Rock University football player, "bleeding profusely from his throat area," according to a criminal complaint. Mr. Sheridan died in UPMC Presbyterian about 15 minutes later.
Forensic pathologist Todd Luckasevic, with the Allegheny County medical examiner's office, determined during an autopsy that a single bullet struck Mr. Sheridan's upper back, traveled slightly to the right and exited through his upper chest.
Shortly after the shooting, detectives spoke to one of two people with Mr. Sheridan that night. That witness, who is not named in court documents, told police that Mr. Sheridan and two friends were standing on the sidewalk when a woman pulled up in a car and they "were telling the female that they were trying to find a taxi and they jokingly asked her if she could ride them home," according to the complaint. The woman said she was offended.
Mr. Sheridan apologized, his friend said, and he and his friends walked toward Dunkin' Donuts while the woman walked toward Bouquet Street.
Mr. Sheridan's friend said the woman, two other women and two men then approached them on the sidewalk. One of those men began saying, "I'm hood. I'm from the hood," according to the complaint.
Mr. Smith pointed a gun at one of the men in Mr. Sheridan's group and then pushed him backward, police said. Mr. Sheridan stepped in and knocked Mr. Smith to the ground, according to the complaint.
The witness heard a single shot and then heard Mr. Sheridan say he had been shot.
Mr. Smith surrendered to police at the city's Zone 5 station in Highland Park and then turned over a loaded 9mm Kel Tech P-11 handgun.
Homicide detectives transported him to headquarters for an interview and said that night that they intended to charge Mr. Smith. Early Sunday morning, they released him and issued a statement saying, "Pending further review of the medical examiner's autopsy report, the district attorney's office has decided not to approve criminal charges against Isiah Smith at this time."
According to the complaint, Mr. Smith told detectives that he pulled out a gun during the argument and said "We don't want to take it that far." He said he was putting the gun back in his pocket when Mr. Sheridan knocked him to the ground.
"Smith first stated that he fired at 'Zach' because he saw Sheridan bend over and reach towards his pocket. Smith later said that he pulled his gun and 'let one off' into the air trying to aim in a different direction than where Sheridan was," detectives wrote in the complaint.
Mr. Smith told police he got back into a white Chevy Impala with his friends shortly after the shooting, drove them to the South Side so some of them could pick up their car and then went to the Eat 'n Park in Squirrel Hill. He said he was bleeding badly from the mouth.
When he awoke about noon, one of the friends who had been with him, told him that local news outlets were reporting that someone had been shot outside the Original Hot Dog Shop about 3 a.m. He went to work and left early to go to West Penn Hospital, telling hospital staff that he had passed out and injured himself rather than that he had been assaulted.
When he returned home, his mother and brother encouraged him to surrender, according to the complaint.
Mr. Smith, dressed in green pants and a blue sweatshirt, arrived at police headquarters about 3 p.m. accompanied by family members. His older brother kissed him on the forehead while detectives handcuffed him and walked him out to a car so they could transport him to the Allegheny County Jail to await arraignment.
Mr. Smith's attorney, Blaine Jones, said he has "cooperated in every way possible."
He described Mr. Sheridan as "the aggressor" and said Mr. Smith required stitches for a laceration and was diagnosed with a concussion.
"As far as I know, Isiah was punched in the head by the young man that is no longer here," Mr. Jones said. "After Isiah was punched, Isiah was then continually hit. He was up against the car while being hit and then he went to the ground and all of Isiah's actions were in self-defense. Isiah did not initiate any of the physical contact."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/loc ... ng-698185/

No need for further comments from me. Discuss.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Wow
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 pm

I feel for both families. Homicide doesn't ruin one life, it sends a dagger to many other lives. Its sad people can't work things out without resorting to murder.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:10 pm

so wait... he pulls a gun in an argument with a guy, gets knocked down, and shoots the guy in the back? is that right? that article isn't very clearly written. if you shoot a guy in the back, i don't see how that is self defense.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Froggy wrote:so wait... he pulls a gun in an argument with a guy, gets knocked down, and shoots the guy in the back? is that right? that article isn't very clearly written. if you shoot a guy in the back, i don't see how that is self defense.

....he pulled a gun in an argument after initiating and confronting the group about a comment. I mean allegedly thats how it went. But this is on the surface way (at the VERY least) similar enough or worse (shot in back) to the Martin case to warrant pictures of the victim in a boy scout shirt, a few vigils, CNN going crazy and a group pressing the PA Attorney General for no charges being brought.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:37 pm

But, but...he's so hood.
meow
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 pm

That white African-American man should be sent for life for killing.that poor black Caucasian kid...

Or something like that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Started the I an Zach campaign,we'll likely be joined by a stampede of celebs and politicians. In related news black leaders are demanding to know why the dead white guy hasn't been charged with leaving the scene of a crime.
(Sheridan was shot in the back while running away.)
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:57 pm

I'm still not sure why one person killing another is supposed to be a source of "humor."
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 pm

It's more a social commentary on the public's reaction.

I'm not sure how you got "making.fun of someone dying" out of that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I see no reason why disgust with the behavior of a big chunk of the population over a court case can't be used as a source of sarcasm.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Guygrabbingachair.GIF
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:It's more a social commentary on the public's reaction.

Using the death of someone to grind an axe elsewhere is actually even worse.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 pm

So one can't make a commentary on the severe hypocrisy of the situations?

Do you think that blacks using Trayvon's death to grind an axe with white America was OK?.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:29 pm

:pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:30 pm

columbia wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:It's more a social commentary on the public's reaction.

Using the death of someone to grind an axe elsewhere is actually even worse.

That's your opinion and i respect it.....but I think it's pretty clear the sarcasm is based on an extremely obvious case of bias and hypocrisy on personal and media levels that reached new heights. I mean someone is trying to get evidence put into the Smithsonian for $&?'s sake.

Not one person does not feel for this kids family OR Martins family.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/08/jackson-sharpton-stay-silent-on-school-bus-beating/

Self-appointed civil rights leaders and celebrities remained mum on the vicious beating of a white sixth-grader at the hands of three older African-Americans in Florida, despite a growing chorus of critics who called their silence hypocrisy given their recent, racially-charged condemnation of the Sunshine State.

“Three 15-yr-old black teens beat up a 13-yr-old white kid because he told school officials they tried to sell him drugs,” former congressman Allen West, an ex-Army Colonel who is African-American, wrote on his Facebook page. “Do you hear anything from Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP, Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z, liberal media, or Hollywood? Cat got your tongues or is it that pathetic hypocrisy revealing itself once again? Y'all just make me sick.”
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 am

Meh. The "leaders" in the black community have been reinforcing the message that they (African-Americans) aren't responsible for any of their own actions for decades now. The single-mother and crime rates certainly are indicative of that. It's a "perpetual victimhood" mentality that has earned their ilk millions of dollars while the vast number of the people they claim to act in the best interest of continue to kill each other and mire in poverty.

When people like Bill Cosby actually demand that they look themselves in the mirror rather than constantly point the finger of blame elsewhere, he and others are derided as "Uncle Toms", "house n*****s", etc, because it's not what they want to hear. It's a really sad state of affairs, and I'm afraid it won't ever get better.

News like the above, really, doesn't even faze me anymore. I'm just thankful that my daughter won't be attending a similar school district.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR