Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:32 pm

and also...

Frederick Gorilla
‪#‎HEADSUP‬ Be aware - We're hearing reports of a Treyvon Martin/One Hundred Hoodie March this evening around Catoctin Ave and Burke St.

Guess I won't be driving downtown this evening.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

I've been following this thread without weighing in, but it seems to me the media hype wouldn't have had a chance to build if GZ would have been charged with Wreckless Endangerment within a week of the incident. (I don't claim to know the Fla statues, but I'm assuming they have something close to this.) The long delay before any filed charges allowed the avalanche of "They're not even charging him, they don't care about TM's family!" to develop into a strong social force. Then, after 44 days of listening, the prosecuters really overplayed their hand with a ridiculous murder 2 charge, and a decent stretch of a manslaughter charge.

Whether GZ would have been found guilty of a lesser charge, I won't speculate. I would propose that an immediate lesser charge would have kept the case on the middle pages of the newspaper.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 pm

While I do agree that the original decision to not charge GZ with anything (contrary to the recommendation of the lead investigator, who said he believed GZs story was substantially true and still felt it warranted a manslaughter charge) was a big driver in the initial concern, I don't think FL has a 'reckless endangerment' statute.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 pm

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/07/18/charles_barkley_on_zimmerman_trial_i_agree_with_the_verdict.html

This is actually a pretty reasonable and fair summation by Sir Charles, IMO.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Hmmmmm.....

Juror: We talked Stand Your Ground before not-guilty Zimmerman verdict
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/16/3 ... rylink=cpy
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 am

shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/07/18/charles_barkley_on_zimmerman_trial_i_agree_with_the_verdict.html

Life has a way of reaping what your sow. George Zimmerman now gets to live his life in shame because he is a coward in every sense of the word.

Wonder what happens next time he sees someone 'suspicious' walking around his neighborhood?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:36 am

Pitt87 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/07/18/charles_barkley_on_zimmerman_trial_i_agree_with_the_verdict.html

George Zimmerman now gets to live his life in shame because he is a coward in every sense of the word.

I understand not being happy with the verdict. Was Pitt87 there that night? Was he filming the incident? Does he have access to secret security camera footage that we don't know about?

If (hypothetically) Martin circled back and attacked Zimmerman after he got out of his vehicle, how exactly does that make Zimmerman a coward? Because he defended himself?

I love when people make statements that they have absolutely zero proof to back up.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 am

Has anyone watched the video of George Zimmerman reenacting the happenings of that night for the police? It's on youtube if you haven't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX1sxARNq_c

Those that are saying how horrible of a human being Zimmerman is, on what basis do you make that judgement. If you watch the video, nothing in his description shows that Zimmerman was the aggressor in the situation. If you don't believe his description, then why??? What makes you think that he's lying and that he just saw some black kid walking around the neighborhood and "hunted" him down and shot him in cold blood?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 am

Because quite honestly, the "cowardly" opinion is just blaming Zimmerman and calling him a coward without assessing any of the facts. So brave
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:55 am

columbia wrote:Hmmmmm.....

Juror: We talked Stand Your Ground before not-guilty Zimmerman verdict
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/16/3 ... rylink=cpy

This is why the media is largely blame. Great headline that's gets people all fired up and/or using as evidence or posting in message boards.

The entire interview, this article in itself and other articles paint an entirely different story. That juror in the same interview also said Martin most likely deserves blame for coming back and trying to get a one up (summarizing), the interview also doesn't state exactly what if any role the title subject played just that it was discussed AND the other jurors came out and publicly said they were distancing themselves from this juror and she does not represent them, their views or what happened.

So I am changing the headline:

"Juror says Matin to blame"

Hmmmmmmm
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:01 am

Some were contending that SYG was not a factor in the case; merely pointing out that apparently that wasn't true.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 am

Can this just die already?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:02 am

Thats pretty insensitive.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:09 am

columbia wrote:Some were contending that SYG was not a factor in the case; merely pointing out that apparently that wasn't true.

I get that but if you read the article she basically says it was discussed but then specifically states and then insinuates the reason he was let go is because they reasonably concluded martin circled back and was to blame for trying to get one ups or whatever. There was at the very least reasonable doubt, but she was pretty or very clear what they thought happened.

If the SYG law didn't exist the verdict would be exactly the same.

At no point does she even mention stand your ground for a reason for the verdict, just that at some point it was discussed as were probably a million other things.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

George Zimmerman now gets to live his life in shame because he is a coward in every sense of the word.

I understand not being happy with the verdict. Was Pitt87 there that night? Was he filming the incident? Does he have access to secret security camera footage that we don't know about?

If (hypothetically) Martin circled back and attacked Zimmerman after he got out of his vehicle, how exactly does that make Zimmerman a coward? Because he defended himself?

I love when people make statements that they have absolutely zero proof to back up.

Sort of like you did just now, hypothetically? :roll:

Coward in the sense that he brought a gun with him to confront a kid, and immediately went on the defense to attempt to prove that he killed him because he 'feared for his life', beginning almost immediately after the events. As I said, there is a difference between guilty and responsible.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 am

Pitt87 wrote:Sort of like you did just now, hypothetically? :roll:

Coward in the sense that he brought a gun with him to confront a kid, and immediately went on the defense to attempt to prove that he killed him because he 'feared for his life', beginning almost immediately after the events. As I said, there is a difference between guilty and responsible.

You started the hypothetical nonsense.

lolol, you act like he was packing heat to go out hunting for kids. He carried a gun with him for protection, and just so happened to stumble upon said "kid". By the way, said "kid" was a well-built 17 year old that was closer to being an adult than anything. Maybe he did fear for his life? If you killed someone in self-defense, wouldn't you try to defend yourself?

HOW DARE ZIMMERMAN DEFEND HIMSELF!!!!!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

Pitt, again I ask. Did you see Zimmerman's retelling of the incident? If so, why do you immediately disregard what he's saying and think he's lying, after he gave the exact same story under some sort of stress monitoring lie detecting system that came back saying he was telling the truth. I know you can fool those machines with practice, but you believe that he's some mastermind killer that he hunted down Martin, trained himself how to beat a lie detector and came up with the story he told corroborated by many witnesses? c'mon man.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 am

Lets not get crazy about this carrying a gun for protection. He carried a gun and joined the community watch for a reason. For the same reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Lets not get crazy about this carrying a gun for protection. He carried a gun and joined the community watch for a reason. For the same reason.

to kill Trayvon Martin.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 am

He didn't know his name, but yes. :pop:

I'm guessing he wanted to be in a position of authority and wanted the gun to reinforce that authority. I don't think thats much of a reach given what they say about how overboard he consistently went with his calls to the popo.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:24 am

Zimmerman even registered as a Democrat and voted for Obama in 2008 to prepare for his self-defense for killing black kids. The dude is a diabolical genius.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 am

Pitt87 wrote:

a kid??? he was 6' tall, 5 inches taller than GZ! it's not like GZ gunned down a 5 year old. for all intents and purposes this was an adult. he was 17 years old. had the roles been reversed he would've no doubt been charged as an adult. I agree that GZ is responsible for something (though not murder 2) and from the evidence presented at trial so is TM but please stop buying into the prosecution's attempt that GZ picked on someone smaller than him.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 am

shoeshine boy wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

a kid??? he was 6' tall, 5 inches taller than GZ! it's not like GZ gunned down a 5 year old. for all intents and purposes this was an adult. he was 17 years old. had the roles been reversed he would've no doubt been charged as an adult. I agree that GZ is responsible for something (though not murder 2) and from the evidence presented at trial so is TM but please stop buying into the prosecution's attempt that GZ picked on someone smaller than him.

Wait a second, I thought this was Trayvon Martin:

Is there a more updated photo?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:He didn't know his name, but yes. :pop:

I'm guessing he wanted to be in a position of authority and wanted the gun to reinforce that authority. I don't think thats much of a reach given what they say about how overboard he consistently went with his calls to the popo.

your profiling of people who carry guns for self defense is disturbing. Most people who who carry a gun for self defense are not a power hungry mongrel who wishes they were in an authority position. I think you would be surprised if you knew how many people actually carry a gun with them everyday.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:22 am

ffemtreed wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:He didn't know his name, but yes. :pop:

your profiling of people who carry guns for self defense is disturbing. Most people who who carry a gun for self defense are not a power hungry mongrel who wishes they were in an authority position. I think you would be surprised if you knew how many people actually carry a gun with them everyday.

Do those people join neighborhood watches, patrol gated communities, and frequently call the police to report behavior they deem suspicious? I didn't profile people that carry guns and thats a pretty huge reach given what I posted. I put the information provided together and came to the conclusion that he was doing all of those things because he wanted some kind of control.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR