Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shooting Reignites Racial Questions

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 pm

What on earth are you trying to say?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I never said he was a hero and certainly don't see him as one. I wrote "hero" using Shaf's quote where he called him a hero only to then strike down the notion that he was one. Yeah, he had a criminal background but was brutalized by police and that is why he is held up as symbolic for oppression of blacks.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Enfants autour du monde, mis chameau merde sur les murs

Postby pfim on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:41 pm

King was definitely a symbol of racism and police brutality at the time.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't get the rioter part.

?

There's plenty of factual things to criticize King over.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:52 pm

pfim wrote:King was definitely a symbol of racism and police brutality at the time.

There's no question he was a symbol of police brutality.

ExPatriatePen wrote: An icon for police brutality? Certainly.
But the abuse of authority by police is colorless, it's white on black, white on white, black on black, and black on white.

What people tend to forget is that RK served two years on a robbery charge, and that the night in question, Rodney King had led police on a high speed chase before being stopped.

Rodney King was no chior boy.

how can you taint an entire race by saying someone who was a convicted criminal and who led police on high speed chases was an icon of their entire race.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Agreed. Is that your point?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Agreed. Is that your point?

Factorial wrote:
King served time ... his "hero" status was symbolic for hundreds of years of oppression against blacks.

I think I made my point that Rodney King was no hero.

Those that roited in the streets did not do so because they revered Rodney King, it was an excuse to break laws and cause civil unrest.

Justifying civil unrest, robbbery, vandalism, theft and assualt today, based on actions taken 100 years ago is just :face:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Maybe the cops shouldn't have beaten the piss out of him?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm

I even more confused than before.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Yeah, still not sure what this has to do with Zimmerman.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Is epp saying the cops should have beat him up?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:11 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Justifying civil unrest, robbbery, vandalism, theft and assualt today, based on actions taken 100 years ago is just :face:

Christians say that we're all sinners from birth because of what Adam and Eve did. So holding white people a little culpable for slavery seems pretty trivial IMO.

(Just thought I'd add a little suppressed religious discussion into this suppressed political discussion.)
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Rodney King during the riots wrote:Why can't we all just get along?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 pm

King's beating at the hands of white cops and their acquittal by a mostly-white jury was certainly symbolic of the racism in this country at the time. He didn't do anything to be considered a hero, but being a symbol of something and being a hero aren't synonymous.

George Zimmerman, from afar, just seems like he has an over-inflated sense of self-worth and anger issues that are exacerbated by his possession of firearms.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 pm

King won a celebrity boxing match against ex-Chester City (Delaware County, Pennsylvania) police officer Simon Aouad on Friday, September 11, 2009, at the Ramada Philadelphia Airport in Essington, Pennsylvania.

He got revenge :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 pm

This is what (the much depised by some on this board) Al Sharpton said upon King's death:

Rodney King was a symbol of civil rights and he represented the anti-police brutality and anti-racial profiling movement of our time. Through all that he had gone through with his beating and his personal demons he was never one to not call for reconciliation and for people to overcome and forgive.

and the author of the piece writes:

In my eyes, Rodney King was most definitely a civil rights hero. But not in the context of what you may regard as heroism. Rodney King never acted like he was holier than thou. He didn’t act as if his role in that 1991 beating somehow made him more apt to pass judgment on others for their behavior. He, in fact, rebuffed the role and never appreciated other people for trying to make him something he wasn’t.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... _blog.html
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I still don't get the Rodney King analogy. At least he didn't kill someone.

BTW: Does this recent development make Zimmerman's staunch defenders - and there were many here - question whether he really was more responsible for that death, than you had thought in the past?
At a certain point a pattern would seem to be forming and it's not the one of a righteous neighborhood defender.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:33 pm

columbia wrote:I still don't get the Rodney King analogy. At least he didn't kill someone.

We must have completely read the last few pages differently. I thought the analogy was Martin to King, not Zimmerman to King.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

count2infinity wrote:
columbia wrote:I still don't get the Rodney King analogy. At least he didn't kill someone.

We must have completely read the last few pages differently. I thought the analogy was Martin to King, not Zimmerman to King.

Correct... you have been misreading this thread.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Don't you mean Kanye West to MLK and Rosa Parks to Rodney King?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Factorial wrote:This is what (the much depised by some on this board) Al Sharpton said upon King's death:

The same Al Sharpton wh also stood up for tawana brawley?

Excellent judge of character.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

BTW: Does this recent development make Zimmerman's staunch defenders - and there were many here - question whether he really was more responsible for that death, than you had thought in the past?
At a certain point a pattern would seem to be forming and it's not the one of a righteous neighborhood defender.

you can not draw any conclusions about a homicide from an unrelated domestic dispute.

I totally agree that george zimmerman has made seriously questionable descisions over the past year, but no it doesn't make me doubt that TM circled back to confront GZ, or that there's a very distinct possibilty that TM was the first to become physically agressive.

so... lets say you had a friend or relative who was involved in a nasty breakup where items were tossed out and things were broken... do you then think that they must be a horrible individual?

Listen to the 911 calls. GZ was totally calm and collected, the gf was an emotional basketcase. GZ could be the biggest sociopath since Charley Manson. He may be a "crazy azzed cracker". But none of us know for sure and this most recent incident won't tell us a thing about TM's mental state at the time of the altercation, which was most certainly a contributing factor.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:36 pm

i think i'd be the calm one too if it were me holding the shotgun.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:37 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:If you heard them and didn't know who the individuals were, I'd say he was calm and she was the one who was out of control.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Listen to the 911 calls. GZ was totally calm and collected, the gf was an emotional basketcase.

What she sounds like is a woman who just had a shotgun pointed at her by a man who is using said shotgun to demolish the interior of her home. What he sounds like is a man who has called 911 before in situations where he needs to establish his narrative on the record..... geez, he even says as much during his call.

Either way, the police ain't buying what he's selling, and neither is the court. He has been charged with aggravated assault and two misdemeanors, and he has been barred from possessing a firearm or leaving Florida.

ExPatriatePen wrote:What people tend to forget is that RK served two years on a robbery charge, and that the night in question, Rodney King had led police on a high speed chase before being stopped.

People don't forget it, they just understand the relevance of those facts to the beating King took at the hands (and batons) of the police. Which is nill.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:46 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:If you heard them and didn't know who the individuals were, I'd say he was calm and she was the one who was out of control.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Listen to the 911 calls. GZ was totally calm and collected, the gf was an emotional basketcase.

What she sounds like is a woman who just had a shotgun pointed at her by a man who is using said shotgun to demolish the interior of her home. What he sounds like is a man who has called 911 before in situations where he needs to establish his narrative on the record..... geez, he even says as much during his call.

Either way, the police ain't buying what he's selling, and neither is the court. He has been charged with aggravated assault and two misdemeanors, and he has been barred from possessing a firearm or leaving Florida.

Police and courts ALWAYS error on the side of caution in domestic cases. The worst thing a judge can do is to turn the accused back on the street and have them do something to the plantiff. It's much safer, from the judges career standpoint, to put sanctions on the accused and let the facts come out during trial.

It's S.o.P. even if the judge thinks the story is complete BS.

Unfortunately GZ has lost control of his life. Anyone he chooses to be alone with has the power to have him thrown in jail, simly by making an accusation against him.

He may be guilty, then again he may not. Even a trial won't give us a true picture.

My guess is that these charges will be dropped by the girl friend. Not sure if the state would persue on thier own after that.

tifosi77 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:What people tend to forget is that RK served two years on a robbery charge, and that the night in question, Rodney King had led police on a high speed chase before being stopped.

People don't forget it, they just understand the relevance of those facts to the beating King took at the hands (and batons) of the police. Which is nill.

Any one who calls Rodney King a hero is most certainly forgetting (convienantly or other wise) that Rodney King was no Angel. Rosa parks is a hero, not King. And for you and Ulf, how many times to I have to quote my prior post that:

ExPatriatePen wrote:
There's no question he was a symbol of police brutality.
An icon for police brutality? Certainly.

But the abuse of authority by police is colorless, it's white on black, white on white, black on black, and black on white.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR