Lance Armstrong, Doper or Not?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Did/Does he?

Yes
35%
No
14%
Maybe
14%
Probably
37%

Total votes : 49

Re: Lance Armstrong, Doper or Not?

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 am

of course.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 am

http://www.bicycling.com/news/pro-cycling/you-jury

I have no idea why this stuff is fascinating to me because I care 0 about the sport or the people involved.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:59 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
IanMoran wrote:It's the dirtiest sport in the world

His whole team / everyone around him has been involved in it

I'd be shocked if he was clean

Idc though and I don't think it ruins "everything he's about"

His entire career from beating cancer to overcoming odds in those 7 races. It wipes everything away. He didn't overcome cancer to beat everyone.

He overcame cancer with the help of steroids to beat everyone else. That of course is if everyone was doping then he overcame the dopers as well, but it's something I feel is a huge black cloud over his head.

Definitely a black cloud, but he still overcame cancer. With the help of steroids or not, it's still I big deal.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 pm

some people overcome cancer, come don't. I don't know how much he played a role in it.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 pm

MWB wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
IanMoran wrote:It's the dirtiest sport in the world

His whole team / everyone around him has been involved in it

I'd be shocked if he was clean

Idc though and I don't think it ruins "everything he's about"

His entire career from beating cancer to overcoming odds in those 7 races. It wipes everything away. He didn't overcome cancer to beat everyone.

He overcame cancer with the help of steroids to beat everyone else. That of course is if everyone was doping then he overcame the dopers as well, but it's something I feel is a huge black cloud over his head.

Definitely a black cloud, but he still overcame cancer. With the help of steroids or not, it's still I big deal.

It's a huge deal that he beat cancer and became good enough to be professional again. It's a larger deal that his success was one part determination 2 parts doping and that wipes any good will off of those wins away.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Everyone in bicylying world is on it
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Definite doper. He should just pull the same stuff A-Rod did and invent some fake cousin and blame it on him.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ossa on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

IanMoran wrote:Everyone in bicylying world is on it

Everyone in the cycling world was on it. I think they've done a good job in cleaning up the sport the past couple years.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

I am loving this because I hate bicycle idiots.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Ossa wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Everyone in bicylying world is on it

Everyone in the cycling world was on it. I think they've done a good job in cleaning up the sport the past couple years.

let's hope so.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

I guess I don't see the big deal. There are soooo many substances out there that affect performance. Every athelete enchances their performance with something. Why are some ok and others are not? I agree with yubb that they should just let people use what they want. It's their health not mine.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I am loving this because I hate bicycle idiots.

I hear you. Especially the ones in North Park who think they're cars. They want to share the same road as you, but they don't want to adhere to the same traffic laws.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
It's a huge deal that he beat cancer and became good enough to be professional again. It's a larger deal that his success was one part determination 2 parts doping and that wipes any good will off of those wins away.

Is that the determination to doping ratio?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:31 pm

MWB wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Is that the determination to doping ratio?

I would imagine the thought that doping beat everyone else is what would be considered lol.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 pm

demondg1 wrote:

I hear you. Especially the ones in North Park who think they're cars. They want to share the same road as you, but they don't want to adhere to the same traffic laws.

I would bet my career earnings that the incidence of drivers not adhering to traffic laws is much much higher than that of road cyclists (on a per capita basis). Remember that next you are driving 26+ in a 25 MPH zone.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:24 pm

there is absolutely no doubt he is guilty from everything i've read and the number of witnesses saying they know and saw he doped. that many people aren't jealous there is way way too much evidence in a sport that is the dirtiest out there.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:27 pm

demondg1 wrote:

A young JJ once screamed at a guy on a bike who was riding on Route 51. Route 51! It's a highway!!!!! Then he caught up to me as I was stuck in traffic on Brownsville Road and spit inside my car.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:27 pm

steelhammer wrote:
demondg1 wrote:

I would bet my career earnings that the incidence of drivers not adhering to traffic laws is much much higher than that of road cyclists (on a per capita basis). Remember that next you are driving 26+ in a 25 MPH zone.

I would say most car drivers adhere to traffic laws. I would say minimal cyclists do.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 pm

ulf wrote:
steelhammer wrote:
demondg1 wrote:

I would say most car drivers adhere to traffic laws. I would say minimal cyclists do.

Which laws are these cyclists not adhering to? I have no doubt that there are idiot cyclists who don't come to a stop at a stop sign, but most drivers don't come to a complete stop either (or stop before the actual sign/line). I think it would be very difficult to find a driver who obeys every single traffic code. I drive through 2 school zones everyday to work. Let me ask you, how many times have you been driven (no pun) to actually call the police on these scarecrow cyclists?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:36 pm

I didn't say I hate cyclists and they all need to be removed from the road. I said they never obey any traffic laws.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I get annoyed when some cyclists ignore traffic signs, but a car breaking traffic laws is a lot more dangerous than a bike doing so.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I couldn't count how many times cyclists don't stop at a stop sign, use hand signals, etc. etc.

There's a guy who rides home from work and numerous times he just runs stops signs when there are multiple cars coming. One of these days he's going to get hit. I just hope I'm fortunate enough to see it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 pm

ulf wrote:I didn't say I hate cyclists and they all need to be removed from the road. I said they never obey any traffic laws.

And I'm saying that neither do most drivers. I feel that you are over-exaggerating the extent to which cyclists break the traffic code and are greatly underestimating the number of drivers that do worse. Again, I put my career salary on the line if anyone wants to take the bet and standardize a way to evaluate the problem.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:41 pm

knives of ice wrote:there is absolutely no doubt he is guilty from everything i've read and the number of witnesses saying they know and saw he doped. that many people aren't jealous there is way way too much evidence in a sport that is the dirtiest out there.

The "evidence" doesn't seem that strong though. The hearsay and testimony of those who were caught or admitted to doping is strong.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Conversely, I also got pulled over by the cops while on a bike as I cut across a sidewalk to avoid a car in the South Side works so I've seen both sides of this double edged sword.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR