2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby pfim on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I had to post this one.

The Dude is saying that there is serious talk of WVU taking it's olympic sports and BB to the ACC while keeping it's FB in the BIg XII.

Were I to flagrantly flaunt an edict from a moderator like that I'd be nuked from orbit within 5 seconds of posting. Must be nice to be a protected class.

Rocco loathes what he has become.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm

pfim wrote:
Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I had to post this one.

The Dude is saying that there is serious talk of WVU taking it's olympic sports and BB to the ACC while keeping it's FB in the BIg XII.

Were I to flagrantly flaunt an edict from a moderator like that I'd be nuked from orbit within 5 seconds of posting. Must be nice to be a protected class.

Rocco loathes what he has become.

Rocco thought he could just be like every other poster. Sadly one of the downsides of being Rocco is that he can't be like every other poster. Sorta like how Peter Parker realized he'd always be Spider-man.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:50 pm

The Dude is asking all Big XII fans to reach out to their leaders to admit FSU and Clemson. They are dying to leave but Big XII won't let them in just yet.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:26 pm

newarenanow wrote:The Dude is asking all Big XII fans to reach out to their leaders to admit FSU and Clemson. They are dying to leave but Big XII won't let them in just yet.

I thought it was a done deal already?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Dude now saying OB deal only benefits ND and that VT and SEC are in heavy talks.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:21 am

FSU must be back- CB Greg Reid was arrested. They are definitely trying to get into the Big 12 with another arrest.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Word out there is that FSU is still a "done deal" and will be finalized by the end of the summer adn will play in the Big XII in 2014 and team #12 will be decided shortly after if they fail to get ND.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:02 pm

So the premise of Groundhog Day was true?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:Word out there is that FSU is still a "done deal" and will be finalized by the end of the summer adn will play in the Big XII in 2014 and team #12 will be decided shortly after if they fail to get ND.

But I thought "Dude" said it wasn't happening and it was all Texas's fault? The changing details of this done deal keep confusing me. And the last thing you reported as gospel from Chip Brown said ND's non-football teams were off to the Big 12 and it might interest the ACC schools, implying the ACC schools weren't interested. Could you please get the gospel rumors you pass off as true and believe entirely together so those of us with less developed cases of cognitive dissonance could understand it?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 pm

columbia wrote:So the premise of Groundhog Day was true?

Yes.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Rocco wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Word out there is that FSU is still a "done deal" and will be finalized by the end of the summer adn will play in the Big XII in 2014 and team #12 will be decided shortly after if they fail to get ND.

But I thought "Dude" said it wasn't happening and it was all Texas's fault? The changing details of this done deal keep confusing me. And the last thing you reported as gospel from Chip Brown said ND's non-football teams were off to the Big 12 and it might interest the ACC schools, implying the ACC schools weren't interested. Could you please get the gospel rumors you pass off as true and believe entirely together so those of us with less developed cases of cognitive dissonance could understand it?

We'll according to the dude, Iowa St is the one blocking Big XII expansion now, not Texas, because they dont' want to be in a division with all eastern teams and lose their annual game with Texas and OU as it is set up as 10 teams.

But according to another WVU "insider" expansion is still a go and FSU is definitely in.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... l/19564748

5 star recruit and 5-star name Dee Liner arrested twice in 10 days.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby conforto45 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Being that Ive known Rushel Shell since he was 5, Its hard for me to say how I think he will do with Pitt. At each level, everyone doubted him, saying that he was too small to play against the bigger classes.. Well, he definitely proved them wrong. Kid broke the PA and WPIAL rushing record and broke the national record for consecutive 100 yard games. Sure hes had a few small run ins, nothing major. He got caught with chew and he got into a fight because a kid called him the N word.

Almost every kid who has such a bright spotlight on them will draw attention.. positive or negative. Theres always jealous people and thats just the way the world is.

Hes been with his now Fiancee for quite some time. He chose to stay local instead of going to Alabama, where he would practically automatically be in the running for a National Championship.

With all that being said. What are your thoughts on the kid? How do you see his career panning out. And if youre going to be negative and be a *****bag about it, keep the comments to yourself
conforto45
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

conforto45 wrote:Being that Ive known Rushel Shell since he was 5, Its hard for me to say how I think he will do with Pitt. At each level, everyone doubted him, saying that he was too small to play against the bigger classes.. Well, he definitely proved them wrong. Kid broke the PA and WPIAL rushing record and broke the national record for consecutive 100 yard games. Sure hes had a few small run ins, nothing major. He got caught with chew and he got into a fight because a kid called him the N word.

Almost every kid who has such a bright spotlight on them will draw attention.. positive or negative. Theres always jealous people and thats just the way the world is.

Hes been with his now Fiancee for quite some time. He chose to stay local instead of going to Alabama, where he would practically automatically be in the running for a National Championship.

With all that being said. What are your thoughts on the kid? How do you see his career panning out. And if youre going to be negative and be a *****bag about it, keep the comments to yourself

I think that at the college level you need to have a 2 dimensional offense. Recently Pitt hasn't had that and regardless of how good Shell is he will struggle. If the new regime can groom a QB he will have a very good college career. The real wild card is how Pitt plays against ACC competition which is better than the Big East.

As a Penn State grad and fan I wish him all the best, I'd rather see him play for Pitt than Michigan, Ohio State, or even Bama.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 am

conforto45 wrote:

I'm pretty excited for him. No one knows for sure how things will turn out as some great high school kids come to college and flop and vice versa, but I think he will live up to his expectations.

There may be a transition period where he may struggle some, but he seems like the type that will fight through that and ultimately be great.

Pitt has been fortuante with RBs. Shady, Dion Lewis and Ray Graham (before he tore his ACL) have been great and have had productive careers. The first two went to the pros after only two years. I think if Graham is healthy, it will be a plus for Shell because some of the burden will be off of him.

I think good things will come out of this.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 am

The Dude just announced that the Big XII has changed their mind and will add FSU as team #11. The announcement will be made by end of summer.

They are determining team #12, but team #11 will definitely be FSU and both FSU and Big XII are on same page.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:57 am

Can I ask a question?

This guy seems to have something to report every day or every other day. Does anyone really believe that these people have been in a constant negotiation for months?
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:10 am

pfim wrote:Can I ask a question?

This guy seems to have something to report every day or every other day. Does anyone really believe that these people have been in a constant negotiation for months?

I don't know, but it's fun!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:11 am

It seems to me that the Dude is the Eklund of college football expansion rumors.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:It seems to me that the Dude is the Eklund of college football expansion rumors.

Much like Eklund, Dude will eventually stumble on to something accurate and his sycophants will claim this as proof that he knows what he's talking about. Didn't someone do the research and find Eklund is right about 4% of the time?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

Dude confirrmed that NDs AD promised Texas AD ND would never join the ACC in any way shape or form. So that is one stumbling block out of the way. FSU is in 100%. Clemson has until 7/20 to decide. If they balk, GT is in.

VT is going to SEC in 2014 and UNC is the other target. If they can't get them, then Maryland is in.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 am

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/A ... -EAST.aspx

Syracuse is officially leaving the Big East after this season. I realize a press release isn't as truthy as a nebulous report from an insider who may or may not exist but this seems reasonably legit.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 am

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz
No update on Pitt's departure date, but multiple Big East and Pitt sources have said there is no way Panthers play in Big East in 2014.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyCBS
No deal reached yet w/Pitt to leave early. AD Steve Pederson previously said Pitt would not pay more than $5M
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am

its a moot point: neither the acc nor the big east will exist in 2014.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:its a moot point: neither the acc nor the big east will exist in 2014.

One or the other will exist as the leftovers will just merge. It must be decided which conference will remain though.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR