2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby Tomas on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 am

For Big 10, there is one extra benefit from MD joining. Big 10 universities, through their Committee on Institutional Cooperation, are ALREADY the most efficient lobbying group in the US for federal research funds (CIC members engage in $8 billion in funded research, receiving some 12 percent of the total federal research funds awarded annually (18 percent of the National Science Foundation total, and 15.7 percent of the USDA total).

Now, the body that controls federal research spending is "United States Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies." The VERY active chairwoman of that Subcommittee - Barbara Mikulski, the Senior Senator from MD. Of course, the lady is 76, but given how influence she enjoys over the spending decisions, I expect she will be in the Senate forever. And, with her home flagship university becoming the member of Big 10, CIC dominance over the research funds will probably be even greater.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:14 am

Well, not to mention that Maryland in its own right already receives a boatload of federal grant money, they are definitely a top research institution (being so close to Washington doesn't hurt either).
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Kudos to MD's president yesterday for admitting that money is the main reason they're leaving. Any attempt to say otherwise would be laughable.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Mike Krzyzewski: “ACC is vulnerable right now”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear ... right-now/

We'll see in NAN's doomsday scenario - laid out months ago - happens and the ACC withers into a ghost over the coming years.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Tomas wrote:For Big 10, there is one extra benefit from MD joining. Big 10 universities, through their Committee on Institutional Cooperation, are ALREADY the most efficient lobbying group in the US for federal research funds (CIC members engage in $8 billion in funded research, receiving some 12 percent of the total federal research funds awarded annually (18 percent of the National Science Foundation total, and 15.7 percent of the USDA total).

Now, the body that controls federal research spending is "United States Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies." The VERY active chairwoman of that Subcommittee - Barbara Mikulski, the Senior Senator from MD. Of course, the lady is 76, but given how influence she enjoys over the spending decisions, I expect she will be in the Senate forever. And, with her home flagship university becoming the member of Big 10, CIC dominance over the research funds will probably be even greater.

I don't think the B1G really cares too much at this point. They also aren't concerned about the actual quality of the athletics programs. Their goal right now is to get their network on as many basic cable networks in large cities as possible. All other factors are non-existent.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:42 pm

ACC has 13 teams now, no?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

As a Clemson fan and alum, I am a little anxious about how this will play out. The ACC has been a horrendously weak football conference for several years now, and when we play out of conference teams (particularly SEC) we generally get pounded. Through 11 games, the only challenge was FSU. Next up, the Gamecocks on Saturday...

It will be interesting to see if the Terps can negotiate out of the $50 million exit fee.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:48 pm

columbia wrote:Mike Krzyzewski: “ACC is vulnerable right now”

We'll see in NAN's doomsday scenario - laid out months ago - happens and the ACC withers into a ghost over the coming years.

Coack K just wants to make sure the B1G thinks MD is valuable. He's a team player and actor and if they realize the ACC views MD as a toxic asset this could fall apart.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Teams normally get pounded by the SEC.

As for the ACC's long term issues I think are more or less moot. The $50 million exit fee will keep the majority of teams together and plus there are no shortage of academically successful schools on the East Coast that would not look out of place in the ACC.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Rylan wrote:Teams normally get pounded by the SEC.

As for the ACC's long term issues I think are more or less moot. The $50 million exit fee will keep the majority of teams together and plus there are no shortage of academically successful schools on the East Coast that would not look out of place in the ACC.

Yeah, bring on that Villanova powrhouse!
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Rylan wrote:ACC has 13 teams now, no?

Do we count Wake Forest? :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Its not like ACC football really lost much with Maryland...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I liked when the Demon Deacons had Chris Paul.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Notre Dame is in, except for football. Why are they such weirdos? :lol:
Seriously, how do they get counted? 14*?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Rocco wrote:

Coack K just wants to make sure the B1G thinks MD is valuable. He's a team player and actor and if they realize the ACC views MD as a toxic asset this could fall apart.

Have you thought about running the Big East?
They could use someone with your rose colored glasses.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:55 pm

columbia wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Bhagdad Bob! I wondered where you went... :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:57 pm

columbia wrote:
Rocco wrote:

MD was too broke to have any other options. Not every school in the conference is that broke. The perception of losing MD is worse than the reality of who was actually lost.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby legame on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 pm

The SEC won't touch any of the NC schools. Duke, State and Carolina come as a package deal.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:50 pm

legame wrote:The SEC won't touch any of the NC schools. Duke, State and Carolina come as a package deal.

I don't think so. UNC and NC St won't go anywhere if one is left behind, but if the SEC reached out to NC St and BIG to UNC, then I can see them splitting.

We'll see over the next few months if the doomsday scenario plays out. I think it is up to FSU, UVA and UNC at this point.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 pm

My guess:

BIG adds UNC and UVA

SEC adds VT and NC St

Big XII adds FSU, Miami, GT and Clemson (if they go to 16, then possibly Pitt and VIlle)
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Wake Forrest will clean up on those $50M exit fees.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:17 pm

columbia wrote:Wake Forrest will clean up on those $50M exit fees.

If Maryland successfully negotiates down or beats the exit by a significant amount, I think that is when you may see other teams leave.

That is going to be a big key.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby legame on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:54 pm

You don't really understand the significance of the State-Carolina rivalry until you live here. I can't see State splitting from UNC unless FSU and Clemson both bolt. The ACC offices are in Greensboro and the entire league is centered around the NC schools and I just feel like they'll all stick together regardless of what happens.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:17 pm

legame wrote:You don't really understand the significance of the State-Carolina rivalry until you live here. I can't see State splitting from UNC unless FSU and Clemson both bolt. The ACC offices are in Greensboro and the entire league is centered around the NC schools and I just feel like they'll all stick together regardless of what happens.

Money talks. I do think the key is what FSU and Clemson does. If they stay, I think things will be ok. If they bolt, then it's every man for themselves and each school regardless of tradition will do whatever they can to get out.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:35 pm

newarenanow wrote:
legame wrote:You don't really understand the significance of the State-Carolina rivalry until you live here. I can't see State splitting from UNC unless FSU and Clemson both bolt. The ACC offices are in Greensboro and the entire league is centered around the NC schools and I just feel like they'll all stick together regardless of what happens.

Money talks. I do think the key is what FSU and Clemson does. If they stay, I think things will be ok. If they bolt, then it's every man for themselves and each school regardless of tradition will do whatever they can to get out.

Let's be honest- if they stay, you'll invent new doomsday scenarios based on something an internet troll says whether it's true or not. Did you notice how the UMD stuff happened quickly and quietly and there weren't daily leaks from internet message boards about how it was imminent, and that once it became legitimate, Brett McMurphy jumped on it?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR