2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby CBear3 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 pm

So normally I'd to hate that ESPNU turned into the SEC network for three days because we all know ESPN is evil. But now that my Tigers are members (no, not those Tigers, or those either, the new Tigers), I guess I'm supposed to enjoy listening to Vanderbilt's coach talk for over an hour about how competitive they're going to be this year.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:11 am

The one WVU insiders (not the Dude) had a monumental post last night.

Said that there is a deadlock between FSU and ACC teams and the BIg XII. Big XII wants to stop at 12 no matter what. FSU wants at least 3 other ACC schools to go with them. That is the delay and why expansion hasn't happened yet. It will happen in time, and he explains why.

His breaking news is that the SEC has voted to expand to 16 and will for the 2014 season. Said that VT and UNC are the target, but it will be difficult to split NC St and UNC due to politcal reasons (no mention of politcal reasons between VT and UVA). Said if they can't split them, Duke will be on board to get into that market.

When those teams leave, FSU will haveno choice but to go to the BIg XII under the Big XII demands.

He said Big XII holds all the cards in all of this and is in a position of power.

And once some teams leave, the ACC will collapse.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 am

newarenanow wrote:The one WVU insiders (not the Dude) had a monumental post last night.

Said that there is a deadlock between FSU and ACC teams and the BIg XII. Big XII wants to stop at 12 no matter what. FSU wants at least 3 other ACC schools to go with them. That is the delay and why expansion hasn't happened yet. It will happen in time, and he explains why.

His breaking news is that the SEC has voted to expand to 16 and will for the 2014 season. Said that VT and UNC are the target, but it will be difficult to split NC St and UNC due to politcal reasons (no mention of politcal reasons between VT and UVA). Said if they can't split them, Duke will be on board to get into that market.

When those teams leave, FSU will haveno choice but to go to the BIg XII under the Big XII demands.

He said Big XII holds all the cards in all of this and is in a position of power.

And once some teams leave, the ACC will collapse.

The same insider who said this was a done deal and would be announced in June?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 am

Big news from the Baylor guy. There is a private meeting today in Atlanta with the Big XII and Georgia Tech.

It is very close to being done, and if all works out, GT will be in the Big XII with FSU by Friday.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:22 am

I see that this thread has gone in a totally different direction than the last one.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

newarenanow wrote:Big news from the Baylor guy. There is a private meeting today in Atlanta with the Big XII and Georgia Tech.

It is very close to being done, and if all works out, GT will be in the Big XII with FSU by Friday.

Didn't the Baylor guy say GT wasn't a candidate at all a month ago?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:24 am

lets talk about a more pleasant topic

naner, are you going on any road trips this year, or is your parenthood slowing you down?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:lets talk about a more pleasant topic

naner, are you going on any road trips this year, or is your parenthood slowing you down?

No road trips this year. I was going to try to do a short trip like Cincy or something, but that is on a THursday night I believe.

I have kid #2 on the way too, so that is going to take away the window of later in the season.

I'll probably end up skipping my annual road trip this year and just go on a bigger ACC one next year, if there is an ACC left. :wink:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:27 am

I'm going to ND. Pretty pumped for that one.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 am

kenny the kangaroo and friends have applied for tickets to ND. not sure on the status of them yet. buffalo and the cuse are also strong possabilities.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 am

ulf wrote:I'm going to ND. Pretty pumped for that one.

Have you ever been there? Great place for a FB game.

And unlike the tshirt ND fans, the fans up there are great.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:04 am

I have not. My dad took my brother there a couple years ago and they loved it.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:14 am

ulf wrote:I have not. My dad took my brother there a couple years ago and they loved it.

You'll absolutely love it. If you are a big college FB fan, then this should be at the top of your bucket list for a road trip. Just a great place, beautiful campus, great game day atmosphere, and the fans are absolutely great.

I've been up there when Pitt played 3 times and loved every trip.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:34 am

Went to ND for a game a few years ago in late October. Beautiful time of year for a game up there.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:38 am

Pops Stoosh and I went to the Oklahoma-ND game in 1999 and had an absolutely awesome time there. A few thoughts...

1. If you've never been there for a game and want to have time to take in the full campus gameday experience, I'd suggest getting to campus early. Like 7:00 or 8:00 am.

2. The tailgating spectacle is something to see by itself. RV's everywhere, many of them proudly flying Notre Dame family legacy flags. It was really, really cool. We got to campus in the early morning and spent the first hour or so just walking through the lots, asking some fellow tailgaters where to go and what to see. They were, as a group, probably the nicest, most cordial fans I've ever encountered at any sporting event. Most of them will happily invite you to their tailgate. And that goes for the road fans, too. Couldn't tell you how many times we saw ND and Oklahoma fans mingling and BS'ing. If you're not an ND fan, they want to hear about your team as much as they want to tell you about theirs. Just a terrific, terrific atmosphere.

3. Stop by and get some food from the student-sponsored booths and tables. Most of them are sponsored by the student residence halls, and some of the food is unreal.

4. Get into the stadium in time to see the band come out of the tunnel. We were in our seats well beforehand and could hear the band approaching. The band arrived in the tunnel and prior to coming out, the drum line played about a three-minute cadence in the tunnel that sounded like thunder in the stadium. Goosebump city, and I'm not even a huge ND fan. It was awesome.

Hoping to get back this year for the Pitt game, but I'm not sure I can get tickets.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Stoosh,

I couldn't agree more with everything you stated, but I wanted to make a point on #2.

I've been to about 20 different college venues for Pitt FB games. Most places are decent, but ND was above and beyond any place I've ever been.

We were just walking around campus (you'd be suprised how small campus is if you've never been there), and a couple of ND fans asked us where we were from and how we were enjoying everything. When we asked them what we should check out, they said "follow us" and they gave us about a 45 minute highlight tour of the campus, explaining what everything was, traditions, etc.

And the tailgate scene was great with people offering us beers and food.

Their fans up there are nothing but class and the best in the nation IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks a lot KtK. Now NAN is sad that he is not going on a road trip this year. First time since 1999.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:54 pm

newarenanow wrote:Stoosh,

I couldn't agree more with everything you stated, but I wanted to make a point on #2.

I've been to about 20 different college venues for Pitt FB games. Most places are decent, but ND was above and beyond any place I've ever been.

We were just walking around campus (you'd be suprised how small campus is if you've never been there), and a couple of ND fans asked us where we were from and how we were enjoying everything. When we asked them what we should check out, they said "follow us" and they gave us about a 45 minute highlight tour of the campus, explaining what everything was, traditions, etc.

And the tailgate scene was great with people offering us beers and food.

Their fans up there are nothing but class and the best in the nation IMO.

We had a very similar experience. We weren't out of our car for three minutes when a group in an RV next to us overheard my uncle ask, "Where do we want go first?", and they asked us if we'd had breakfast yet. Next thing we knew, we're getting plates full of scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage along with our choice of beer or coffee, or both. We were complete strangers to them.

One other thing struck me about ND's campus - it's something beyond picture-postcard beautiful. The day we were there, it was relatively cold (like 50 degrees) and overcast. Didn't matter one bit. The place was absolutely gorgeous. I can't imagine the revenue that place makes on a football weekend, but it's not tough to see how much has been put right back into the campus. I haven't been to many venues for big-time college football, but I have to imagine there would be few others that capture that iconic, Midwestern autumn football image better than ND.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Agree about the beauty of ND. The first time I was up there, it was a beautiful fall day, so I got to see it at it's finest. It was absolutely amazing in beauty. They definitely put a lot back in.

And as for tradition and pagentry, the only other roadtrip that came close to it was Navy. That place was something special. With the midshipmen band playing down the main road that goes into the stadium. They enter by squad (or whatever they call it in the navy), all line up on the field. And once the last group comes in. They stop, do the national athem (something special there) and then they all turn around and sprint up into the stands to where they sit (although they never sit during the game). ANd just going around their stadium, which seats only like 35K and is small, and seeing all of the Naval statues and other memorials, it was just great.

ND and Navy were my two favorite of all time. (been to ND (X3), Navy, PSU, Michigan St, Iowa, Louisville, WVU, Ohio U, Toledo, USF, Temple, NC St, Maryland, tOSU, Fiesta Bowl, Insight Bowl, Tangerine Bowl (now Russel Athletic), and the Tire Bowl.)
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:14 pm

newarenanow wrote:Thanks a lot KtK. Now NAN is sad that he is not going on a road trip this year. First time since 1999.

Kenny the kangaroo is back on the road trip bandwagon after a one year hiatus for the CPA exam. so in ur face.

For kenny the kangaroo it has been:

Syracuse (x3)
UNC (Effing awesome campus)
VT (Lousy stadium, loud, was when vick was there)
Toledo ( :face: )
Tire Bowl (Against UVA, Heaf Miller killed pitt)
Fiesta Bowl (Sun devil stadium was like pitt stadium)
Rutgers (GREASE TRUCKS)
Utah (extremely friendly utah fans)

Cant wait for:
Clemson, FSU, a return to tabacco road
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:29 pm

http://features.clemson.edu/inside-clemson/inside- %20news/2012/special-announcement

Clemson to Big XII?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Well it's official. Pitt to ACC in 2013. Not sure if this is in the global college FB thread.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

jimjom wrote:Well it's official. Pitt to ACC in 2013. Not sure if this is in the global college FB thread.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... al-645186/
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Thanks a lot KtK. Now NAN is sad that he is not going on a road trip this year. First time since 1999.

UNC (Effing awesome campus)

I regularly go for runs on that side of Chapel Hill and it's absolutely true. Just a gorgeous campus. Unfortunately they just spent $70 million to close in the open end of Kenan Stadium that used to have beautiful pine trees there.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby legame on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 pm

It went from...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

to...
Spoiler:

Which takes away a bit of its charm, imo. It's a unique stadium in that it's located smack dab in the middle of campus and doesn't have a traditional tailgating set up. Most people tailgate in the trees leading up to the stadium, in parking decks, or in pay-lots all the way on Franklin Street.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR