2012 LGP College Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012 LGP College Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 am

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Interesting article by Guy Cipriano

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/05/3 ... tball.html

That article really isn't that interesting. Just a guy pumping up his team and conference and trying to fulfill a fantasy. PSU and WVU will never have a long term series.

I get that, what I found interesting about it was that he envisions an explicit "strength of schedule" component to the CFB rankings.

Edit: I don't think it's to far fetched to think that PSU and WVU could have a home and home arrangement sometime in the future.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:32 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
I get that, what I found interesting about it was that he envisions an explicit "strength of schedule" component to the CFB rankings.

Edit: I don't think it's to far fetched to think that PSU and WVU could have a home and home arrangement sometime in the future.

There is going to be a SOS component to the playoffs and selection committee criteria. The two conferences that are actually getting bashed the most by ESPN and other bloggers with regards to the SOS is the SEC and the Big XII as they have historically overall played very weak OOC schedules. Pac 12 has played the strongest, followed by the Big 10 and then ACC.

As for WVU and PSU having a home and home, I could see that. A long term series, I doubt it. But that is just my opinion.

I'm honestly interested to what happens with Pitt and WVU. Honestly, I hope that series continues. But everything I've been reading with regards to the Pitt side, with a 9 game ACC schedule that leaves 3 games. One is going to be a cupcake every year. The other, it seems Pitt is focused on carrying on ND or renewing PSU. IMO, ND is the one I want to keep out of those two, but O'Brien stated he wanted to renew Pitt and I heard Pederson and Chryst say that as well.

I don't want the Backyard Brawl to end. But it's going to be difficult to make it an annual thing in FB. Now in BB, I think we play each other every year.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:36 am

I think Pitt's OOC would be PSU, ND and a cupcake. Although I'd love to see WVU in lieu of the 1-AA game. Would be tough, but maybe that's the route teams are going to take now.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 am

Nan you'd really Want to see nd over psu? Idk I never thought of nd as rival at all

Id like to ideally see psu, random big conference school that changes, and random cupcake team

I don't think pitt will lock themselves into 2 long time series because then their schedule will be identical every single year... I think its nice to have a random game every year. I'm a fan of the Utah /Mia home and home type of thing
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am

IanMoran wrote:Nan you'd really Want to see nd over psu? Idk I never thought of nd as rival at all

Id like to ideally see psu, random big conference school that changes, and random cupcake team

I don't think pitt will lock themselves into 2 long time series because then their schedule will be identical every single year... I think its nice to have a random game every year. I'm a fan of the Utah /Mia home and home type of thing

Yes, I'd rather see ND, but PSU would be my second choice.

I agree with you. You will see either a long term series with one of the above, or alternating medium terms between the two. You will see one cupcake, and then one mid level team, whether it be a good "mid major type" or a medium "BCS" type.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:05 am

Can we post expansion rumors again, I'm getting bored?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... her-friend

Robert Nkemdiche now says he definitely won't commit elsewhere if Clemson just offers to one more friend of his from high school. Dance, Dabo, dance. Hypothetically, if Nkemdiche did de-commit, would he have to give back the cash Clemson gave him? I hear they pay well http://www.youtube.com/watch?:v=LsHMxhDhlfw&t=1m30s.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:54 am

Rocco wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19516138/robert-nkemdiches-commitment-to-clemson-is-a-done-deal-if-clemson-offers-another-friend

Robert Nkemdiche now says he definitely won't commit elsewhere if Clemson just offers to one more friend of his from high school. Dance, Dabo, dance. Hypothetically, if Nkemdiche did de-commit, would he have to give back the cash Clemson gave him? I hear they pay well http://www.youtube.com/watch?:v=LsHMxhDhlfw&t=1m30s.

That is awesome, hilarious and sad all in the same thing.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nuge on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:08 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

There is going to be a SOS component to the playoffs and selection committee criteria. The two conferences that are actually getting bashed the most by ESPN and other bloggers with regards to the SOS is the SEC and the Big XII as they have historically overall played very weak OOC schedules. Pac 12 has played the strongest, followed by the Big 10 and then ACC.

As for WVU and PSU having a home and home, I could see that. A long term series, I doubt it. But that is just my opinion.

I'm honestly interested to what happens with Pitt and WVU. Honestly, I hope that series continues. But everything I've been reading with regards to the Pitt side, with a 9 game ACC schedule that leaves 3 games. One is going to be a cupcake every year. The other, it seems Pitt is focused on carrying on ND or renewing PSU. IMO, ND is the one I want to keep out of those two, but O'Brien stated he wanted to renew Pitt and I heard Pederson and Chryst say that as well.

I don't want the Backyard Brawl to end. But it's going to be difficult to make it an annual thing in FB. Now in BB, I think we play each other every year.

I heard both O'Brien and Chryst speak at a coach's clinic in March. It seemed like they both felt that a rivalry game like that could help them recruit local kids and help stop them from going to Ohio St., etc. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I guess it can't hurt.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rocco wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/19516138/robert-nkemdiches-commitment-to-clemson-is-a-done-deal-if-clemson-offers-another-friend

So He's reportedly making a veiled threat to bolt to Ole Miss?
I guess that whole thing about him waiting till Dabo/Clemson reaffirmed their vows with the ACC was a bit of a stretch eh?

It's more about his posse and his ability to manipulate a rather weak coach.

But that came as no surprise.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55037&hilit=Dabo&start=3599
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:30 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I guess that whole thing about him waiting till Dabo/Clemson reaffirmed their vows with the ACC was a bit of a stretch eh?

I think it has to do with both.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:32 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

I think it has to do with both.

Then why an SEC program? Why not FSU or another ACC school?
Because its about being able to manipulate Dabo. It's all about the homeboys, he says as much in the article.

Unless of course, he thinks he can get Ole Miss to bolt to the ACC.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:48 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Then why an SEC program? Why not FSU or another ACC school?
Because its about being able to manipulate Dabo. It's all about the homeboys, he says as much in the article.

Maybe because Clemson is the only ACC school on his list? His friend stated before that if Clemson went to the Big XII he'd go to an SEC school.

It was never stated that he wanted to play for an ACC school no matter what.

You comments make no sense IMO.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:09 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Then why an SEC program? Why not FSU or another ACC school?

Maybe because Clemson is the only ACC school on his list? His friend stated before that if Clemson went to the Big XII he'd go to an SEC school.

It was never stated that he wanted to play for an ACC school no matter what.

You comments make no sense IMO.

You're missing the point NAN, he didn't choose Clemson because his first objective was to play in the ACC. (the "coincidence" certain posters were citing) His first objective was to keep the old neighborhood gang together.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:You're missing the point NAN, he didn't choose Clemson because his first objective was to play in the ACC. His first objective was to keep the old neighborhood gang together. (the "coincidence" certain posters were citing)

If Clemson wasn't staying in the ACC, word from his neighborhood gang was that they'd do it elsewhere.

You are totally right in the aspect that he is taking advantage of the coach. But he would have done it elsewhere at an SEC school like Ole Miss.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:24 pm

newarenanow wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:You're missing the point NAN, he didn't choose Clemson because his first objective was to play in the ACC. His first objective was to keep the old neighborhood gang together. (the "coincidence" certain posters were citing)

If Clemson wasn't staying in the ACC, word from his neighborhood gang was that they'd do it elsewhere.

You are totally right in the aspect that he is taking advantage of the coach. But he would have done it elsewhere at an SEC school like Ole Miss.

That's the point NAN, the first objective was to keep the posse together... That's what I've been saying since the original story broke.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:32 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:That's the point NAN, the first objective was to keep the posse together... That's what I've been saying since the original story broke.

And that may be his first objective. But another factor is that he chose Clemson because he wanted to play in the southeast for the most part, not out in the plain states. In your recent post, from what I'm reading, you are saying that because Dabo said they were staying in the ACC it did not have any bearing on his decision, which I think it did to some degree.

If you didn't mean that, then I apologize. If you did, then I disagree with you on that aspect.

I do think it's one of his priorities to keep the gang together. I don't think he would have tried it at Clemson if they were going to the Big XII.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:10 pm

No one said Nkemdiche was dying to play in the ACC. Just said that he didn't want to play in Big 12 country, which is something others around him said at the time. Most ACC/SEC schools recruit the Southeast. As of right now, Clemson has 10 of their 12 recruits from the Southeast (11 if you include Maryland as Southeast). Big 12 schools recruit heavily from Texas. Schools tend to recruit where they play and/or recruit specific regions. Missouri had done a good job of recruiting in Texas under Pinkel, so it will be interesting to see if he is still able to recruit there now that Missouri's in the SEC or if he shifts to recruiting Florida more. There are very few schools that recruit nationally. Notre Dame, USC, Ohio State, Michigan and now Alabama pull it off. Dabo's point was that the kids he recruits aren't interested in going to the Midwest on a regular basis. If they were, they'd commit to Texas, Oklahoma etc. Shortly after Dabo made his statement Nkemdiche and others committed, so it would take a certain level of obtuseness to not see a cause and effect.

As for Dabo being weak, he is a goober but he won Clemson their first ACC title in forever and just got a contract extension. He's not Houston Nutt back when Nutt hired Gus Malzahn to get the Springdale 4 to commit so Nutt could save his job. He's safe at the moment, and I imagine any other coach in the country would or has offered scholarships to friends of a great prospect if it got that prospect to commit.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:33 pm

newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 am

I had to post this one.

The Dude is saying that there is serious talk of WVU taking it's olympic sports and BB to the ACC while keeping it's FB in the BIg XII.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:47 am

KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:29 am

lolol
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steve784 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am

Endless realignment bargaining and strategy should totally be a part of NCAA '13.......I'd buy it.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:02 am

newarenanow wrote:I had to post this one.

The Dude is saying that there is serious talk of WVU taking it's olympic sports and BB to the ACC while keeping it's FB in the BIg XII.

Were I to flagrantly flaunt an edict from a moderator like that I'd be nuked from orbit within 5 seconds of posting. Must be nice to be a protected class.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 pm

newarenanow wrote:Can we post expansion rumors again, I'm getting bored?

I guess. If I get one more more report I'm imploding the internets though.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR