Any plumbers on board?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Any plumbers on board?

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 am

Got a new gas water heater installed yesterday. When I went to test it out last night, we have hot and cold water to the entire house, except the master bathroom. The hot comes out very slow, with zero pressure. Cold is completely dead - no air and no water. Now, I checked all the values and all are open. I screwed the aerators off and clean out the rust build-ups - still nothing. I'm not really sure what to try next. The lady is calling the plumber today to ask wth happened.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Any plumbers on board?

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

Isn't PFiDC a plummer now?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 am

Paging Mr. PFiDC
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:17 am

hahaha
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am

if the person that installed it wasn't you (some sort of professional, i'm assuming), I would wait until they came back to check it out. Don't mess with anything, don't try to do it yourself. When you do that it opens the door for them to scumbag you into more money because it wasn't something they did wrong it was something you did wrong. If it was you that installed it, then tinker away.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 am

You almost have to be missing a valve that's closed. Either that, or you have a wall filled with water :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am

mac5155 wrote:You almost have to be missing a valve that's closed. Either that, or you have a wall filled with water :pop:

I checked all the values, though. I would assume, using common sense here, that the plumber would have just shut the main valve off to the entire house. I don't see the need to close any valves between the tank and any fixtures.

And we literally just finished drywalling and painting the entire house, so if I have a wall full of water...
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 am

meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:You almost have to be missing a valve that's closed. Either that, or you have a wall filled with water :pop:

I checked all the values, though. I would assume, using common sense here, that the plumber would have just shut the main valve off to the entire house. I don't see the need to close any valves between the tank and any fixtures.

And we literally just finished drywalling and painting the entire house, so if I have a wall full of water...

Do you have an access panel behind the tub/shower? There's a valve there somewhere. It doesnt make sense that you have zero hot OR cold.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 am

mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:

Do you have an access panel behind the tub/shower? There's a valve there somewhere. It doesnt make sense that you have zero hot OR cold.

I do and they are open. I have a slow drip of hot and no cold.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:54 am

Is it a single or double handle faucet. Odds are that if it was an old heater that was replaced that there was some residue built up in the old one and it clogged the cartridge inside your faucet. You CAN take it out, take it apart, and try to clean it but new ones only cost about $15-$30 at home depot.

Single handle:
Should be a retaining nut on back off handle. Use allen wrench to take it out, remove handle, and use players to remove cartridge. Take it to HD and match it to a new one.

Double Handle:
Same as single but take cover off of handles and use philps head to remove screws.

that would be my guess.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steve784 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

Not to hijack, but if I may ask a plumbing question:

If I'm installing a water pressure regulator on the main line, is it able to be installed on a pipe that is going vertically? Every time I see a regulator it's on a horizontal pipe. Don't want to install if it works some weird way on gravity or something.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

steve784 wrote:Not to hijack, but if I may ask a plumbing question:

If I'm installing a water pressure regulator on the main line, is it able to be installed on a pipe that is going vertically? Every time I see a regulator it's on a horizontal pipe. Don't want to install if it works some weird way on gravity or something.

Get your own thread
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:07 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Is it a single or double handle faucet. Odds are that if it was an old heater that was replaced that there was some residue built up in the old one and it clogged the cartridge inside your faucet. You CAN take it out, take it apart, and try to clean it but new ones only cost about $15-$30 at home depot.

Single handle:
Should be a retaining nut on back off handle. Use allen wrench to take it out, remove handle, and use players to remove cartridge. Take it to HD and match it to a new one.

Double Handle:
Same as single but take cover off of handles and use philps head to remove screws.

that would be my guess.

The main problem is the tub. The fixtures are brand new, like a month old. It's a single handle. I don't get how the residual build-up would cause absolutely no cold water.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:21 am

meow wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Is it a single or double handle faucet. Odds are that if it was an old heater that was replaced that there was some residue built up in the old one and it clogged the cartridge inside your faucet. You CAN take it out, take it apart, and try to clean it but new ones only cost about $15-$30 at home depot.

Single handle:

Double Handle:

that would be my guess.

The main problem is the tub. The fixtures are brand new, like a month old. It's a single handle. I don't get how the residual build-up would cause absolutely no cold water.

If the faucet is clogged it wouldnt let any water through, although I guess if you have slow drip of hot you'd have slow drip of cold.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 am

I have to call a plumber. Worried about a crack/bubbling on my kitchen ceiling. There was a slow leak in the bathtub faucet that the home inspector found before we moved in (less than two months ago). The sellers had it fixed or so I thought. Last night I noticed the crack and bubbling. Hoping I don't come home to find my tub in my kitchen.

Maybe I need to be in the lawyer thread.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby steve784 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:33 am

meow wrote:Get your own thread

steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 am

mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:

Single handle:

Double Handle:

that would be my guess.

If the faucet is clogged it wouldnt let any water through, although I guess if you have slow drip of hot you'd have slow drip of cold.

Hot water can maneuver around build up better than cold water.

Was the old heater also gas?

Residue builds in old heaters and can work its way into your pipes and eventually your fixtures. Did you notice any black substance in York water prior to installing the new unit? Its a common problem.

Shower valve cartridges are a bit more pricey. What is the brand?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 am

It CAN but I don't recommend it. Horizontal installation allows for full function of the regulator without the force of gravity working against it. The difference isn't much but might as well do it right imo.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:43 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
meow wrote:

Single handle:

Double Handle:

that would be my guess.

Hot water can maneuver around build up better than cold water.

Was the old heater also gas? - Yes
Residue builds in old heaters and can work its way into your pipes and eventually your fixtures. Did you notice any black substance in York water prior to installing the new unit? Its a common problem. - Not that I noticed. The old tank had some residual build-up in the bottom of it. I never noticed any coming through faucets
Shower valve cartridges are a bit more pricey. What is the brand? - Kohler Mistos
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:50 am

You can try and clean the cartridge. More often than not that will fix it. BE CAREFUL! There are lots of rubber seals that can't get knicked or they wont work anymore. Also, try and remember the order you take it apart or else you'll never get it back together.

When was the valve installed? Who did it? Where did you/they get the part from?

I've seen plenty of sabotaged valves from HD and Lowes. Believe it or not it happens all the time.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steve784 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:59 am

PensFanInDC wrote:

It CAN but I don't recommend it. Horizontal installation allows for full function of the regulator without the force of gravity working against it. The difference isn't much but might as well do it right imo.

Thanks for the info.
steve784
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Lady-friend got ahold of the plumber and got him to come look at it. Apparently he broke some valve, she doesn't know which one, and is replacing it for free. That saves me the hassle of tearing into my bathroom for the 3rd time in the past year.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm

meow wrote:Lady-friend got ahold of the plumber and got him to come look at it. Apparently he broke some valve, she doesn't know which one, and is replacing it for free. That saves me the hassle of tearing into my bathroom for the 3rd time in the past year.

I would want to know why you have an isolation valve to just your master tub and why is it in your utility room, assuming he didn't go anywhere else which he shouldn't have except to drain the water down. Glad you got it taken care of. Breaking a valve and not noticing or saying anything about it is shady.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
meow wrote:Lady-friend got ahold of the plumber and got him to come look at it. Apparently he broke some valve, she doesn't know which one, and is replacing it for free. That saves me the hassle of tearing into my bathroom for the 3rd time in the past year.

I would want to know why you have an isolation valve to just your master tub and why is it in your utility room, assuming he didn't go anywhere else which he shouldn't have except to drain the water down. Glad you got it taken care of. Breaking a valve and not noticing or saying anything about it is shady.

Shady indeed. He was the plumber our home warrenty company sent. Definitely not my first choice and I will not recommend him
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:12 pm

bump
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR