Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 pm

satisdiction needs be become a more commonly used word
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
MWB wrote:I guess I don't know what you mean by reality.

Non-electronic human interaction... wow.

Um, ok. I didn't realize reality meant that you only interact with people face to face. It seems like most people interact with people in a variety of ways.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:49 pm

MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Um, ok. I didn't realize reality meant that you only interact with people face to face. It seems like most people interact with people in a variety of ways.

That's a bit literal... are you saying that texting is the best way to interact with people because of autocorrect? Of course you're not. I'm saying that autocorrect won't help you have a meaningful conversation with your spouse or try to teach your children to do something new or do well in a job interview or professional presentation...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby nocera on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Since this is a grammar thread, and there is one in the title, what are your thoughts on the Oxford comma?
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

That's a bit literal... are you saying that texting is the best way to interact with people because of autocorrect? Of course you're not. I'm saying that autocorrect won't help you have a meaningful conversation with your spouse or try to teach your children to do something new or do well in a job interview or professional presentation...

You can have a meaningful conversation with anyone without knowing how to spell. My only point was that things like autocorrect and spell check are part of life now, and that's not always a bad thing. Any kind of resume, presentation, or other computer derived communication will have spell check involved, most likely. Does that mean one doesn't need to know how to spell? Of course not, it's just not as important as it once was in making a strong appearance.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Sumtimes da wrld getz u down but u gota remmber to take thingz in stride and no dat lyfe is how u maek it be.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:06 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:Sumtimes da wrld getz u down but u gota remmber to take thingz in stride and no dat lyfe is how u maek it be.

Werd?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:08 pm

nocera wrote:Since this is a grammar thread, and there is one in the title, what are your thoughts on the Oxford comma?

I had a teacher in college that said it was appropriate for speech writing to represent a pause but incorrect to use both a comma and the word 'and', was redundant in written form since they both separate the same items in a list. Since the word 'and' is required to end the list, the comma was incorrect.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:10 pm

MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

You can have a meaningful conversation with anyone without knowing how to spell. My only point was that things like autocorrect and spell check are part of life now, and that's not always a bad thing. Any kind of resume, presentation, or other computer derived communication will have spell check involved, most likely. Does that mean one doesn't need to know how to spell? Of course not, it's just not as important as it once was in making a strong appearance.

Its painfully obvious when someone uses Microsoft functions to assemble a resume or write a letter, especially when you talk to them. I guess we can just disagree on that.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Sumtimes da wrld getz u down but u gota remmber to take thingz in stride and no dat lyfe is how u maek it be.

Werd?

GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWB on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

I was taught that it's optional, but don't know if that still holds true.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
nocera wrote:Since this is a grammar thread, and there is one in the title, what are your thoughts on the Oxford comma?

I had a teacher in college that said it was appropriate for speech writing to represent a pause but incorrect to use both a comma and the word 'and', was redundant in written form since they both separate the same items in a list. Since the word 'and' is required to end the list, the comma was incorrect.

i am a proponent of the oxford comma as distinctly eliminates ambiguous articles in a list such as:

egg and cheese biscuit, bagel and cream cheese, and steak and eggs.

...if that makes sense.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:16 pm

canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

i am a proponent of the oxford comma as distinctly eliminates ambiguous articles in a list such as:

...if that makes sense.

I am also a proponent of it. I thought it was still "in danger" of being completely eliminated, but after some quick googling, it seems that ship has sailed. Some style guides are for it, some aren't.

Also, I saw elsewhere in the thread that you're a technical writer by trade and an English major. I'm a proofreader/editor by trade and a creative writing major. So, I was taught all throughout school to know the rules, but to break them whenever you feel necessary. I would imagine you hate people like that.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:27 pm

canaan wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

...if that makes sense.

Perfect sense; in fact I'd expect it hard to find a grammar teacher that would disagree with that particular use.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:44 pm

nocera wrote:I am also a proponent of it. I thought it was still "in danger" of being completely eliminated, but after some quick googling, it seems that ship has sailed. Some style guides are for it, some aren't.

There are style guides that advocate eliminating the serial comma? Wow. Any guide that contained such a recommendation would be headed for recycle bin within seconds of me reading that.

99% of the time, the serial comma will reduce ambiguity. Eliminating ambiguity is particularly important for my profession, so I always use it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:50 pm

The serial comma was not graded against, but frowned upon at my university. I bolded every comma that was used in this manner.

sobrave.jpeg
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

I would use it canaan's usage above, but that would be a rare instance. It's not aesthetically pleasing to me. In a "simple" list (I need eggs, bread, chicken and beer), I will skip it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Thats funny. I find the other way too aesthetically discomforting. In an age where damn-near everything is either trademarked or copyrighted, my immediate response would be to wonder if "chicken and beer" was a name brand product.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:58 pm

And funnier still, when I typed that list, I was thinking, "hmm, 'chicken and beer' almost sounds like a thing for some reason, eh, I'm just over-reading it" Weird.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:48 am

for funzies:

canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:51 am

When welcoming someone, is it:

"You're welcome."

or

"Your Welcome."

Is it acceptable both ways?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:34 am

Rylan wrote:When welcoming someone, is it:

"You're welcome."

You are welcome (here).
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:05 am

Someone explain "come with" (e.g., "Do you want to come with?") I can't stand it. With whom? With what? I know it's legitimized informal use, but finish your damn thought.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Postby Rylan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:55 am

MWB wrote:
Rylan wrote:When welcoming someone, is it:

"You're welcome."

You are welcome (here).

But could it also be "Your welcome" as in a this is your welcoming into this place.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:58 am

Its acceptable in situations like "you've worn out your welcome" but in terms of a response to a thank you, it is never "your welcome"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR