Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:45 am

ulf wrote:Also, it makes me happy when someone puts punctuation inside quotation marks.

:thumb:
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:53 am

its the damn internet. its not worth the extra effort to punctuate or proofread or whatever. plus, kenny the kangaroo always makes gr8 points regardless of the grammar used
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:56 am

I absolutely hate the English language and wish the Spanish had colonized NA instead of the English. It is a language sorely in need of some major updating.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:03 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:its the damn internet. its not worth the extra effort to punctuate or proofread or whatever. plus, kenny the kangaroo always makes gr8 points regardless of the grammar used

i don't use my best grammar on the internet either
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:10 am

Very interesting thread, redwill. I have to give this some thought.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 am

MWB wrote:I just get annoyed when people are so grammatically incorrect. Or if I make grammatical errors. Even when I text I write stuff out, use punctuation, and capitalize. I feel old.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 am

MRandall25 wrote:As long as you aren't horribly misspelling everything ("u", "yu" are the 1st that come to mind), or show that you completely do not have a grasp of simple sentence structure and the language, it's not that bad.

guilty of typing ppl instead of people and u instead of you, but it's only on twitter when I'm up against a character limit. If I have room to spell out the whole word, 9 times out of 10 I will.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I never use proper anything when typing unless its at work.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:42 pm

JS© wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:As long as you aren't horribly misspelling everything ("u", "yu" are the 1st that come to mind), or show that you completely do not have a grasp of simple sentence structure and the language, it's not that bad.

guilty of typing ppl instead of people and u instead of you, but it's only on twitter when I'm up against a character limit. If I have room to spell out the whole word, 9 times out of 10 I will.

Understandable, but I know people who consistently type/spell like that without the character limits.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:58 pm

An analogy to this is a conversation I had many years ago with a friend. We had both watched the Japanese Iron Chef the night before. My friend was outraged -- OUTRAGED -- that the Iron Chef Italian had used crab brains in one of his dishes. She was insistent that that was NOT Italian cooking and was quite upset. (I have no idea if crab brains are used in "authentic" Italian cooking, but that's beside the point.)

So I responded, "What if you lived in Italy at the turn of the 16th century and some fellow fresh from the New World brought you a bunch of tomatoes? There were surely purists at the time who turned their noses up at these things and were OUTRAGED at the suggestion that tomatoes be used in Italian cuisine. I mean, tomatoes? In Italy?"

Things change.

Secondly, there used to be an e-mail going around since -- well, since e-mail has been around -- of a paragraph deliberately written in completely mangled grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Yet it was completely readable and understandable. The brain knows what it's doing.

Finally, if we reverted to Chaucer's English, things might get difficult:

Chaucer wrote:Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open eye-
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke
That hem hath holpen, whan that they were seeke.

(I had to memorize this in 9th grade.)
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jopaz on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm

It seems that 2 different "versions" of English grammar are evolving. There is the standard version that is "proper English" and would be used in business communication, most websites, newspaper/magazines, email at work, etc. If you don't get that right and at least use a spell checker, you will not last long in your job in most cases.

Then there is the "casual" version that people use in texting, twitter, sometimes on message boards, etc. The reason could be laziness, trying to be cool, or just to limit the number of characters (twitter). Grammar rules do not seem to matter as much here.

We are probably heading toward both of these having their right place and time. For example, kids in college should know and be taught that the papers written for class use a very different language than texting. As long as people can still know the proper version and when to use or not use it, that will be OK. Shame on the people that fall back to the casual use and forget everything they ever learned about grammar.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Grammar matters because the content of your work you will be judged on it. As Russian author Konstantin Fedin said, “If you see errors in form, look for errors in content.” A document that is loaded with grammar errors will be viewed as an inferior work, even if the merit of the thoughts therein is actually high. A sloppy, inferior wrapper is presumed to contain sloppy, inferior content. That’s the way it is. It’s the same reason that lawyers but on their nice suits to go to court. If we showed up in wifebeater shirts and jorts, we wouldn’t be taken seriously, regardless of the strength of our legal arguments.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 pm

ulf wrote:Also, it makes me happy when someone puts punctuation inside quotation marks.

Punctuation doesn’t go inside quotation marks all of the time. Periods and commas go inside, semicolons and colons go outside, and question marks and exclamation marks go inside only if they are part of the quoted matter. Otherwise, question marks and exclamation points go outside.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:07 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:its the damn internet. its not worth the extra effort to punctuate or proofread or whatever. plus, kenny the kangaroo always makes gr8 points regardless of the grammar used

So you believe. But as I said above, you are being judged both on form and on content. I can say that reading sentences like the ones you wrote here makes me automatically ratchet down my assessment of your intelligence quite a bit. Is that fair of me? Perhaps not, but I’m going to do it anyway.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:11 pm

thats a moot point. anyone who reads one of kenny the kagngaroos posts quickly realizes that the intelligence is lacking.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:13 pm

also IKTKHO, its better to use crappy grammar and sound like an idiot than use fancy words to try and sound smarter than you acutally are. *cough* godric *cough*
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:thats a moot point. anyone who reads one of kenny the kagngaroos posts quickly realizes that the intelligence is lacking.

lol, man, I'm cracking up here.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:21 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:also IKTKHO, its better to use crappy grammar and sound like an idiot than use fancy words to try and sound smarter than you acutally are. *cough* godric *cough*

That's very often true.

I agree with both of you, though. I think there are subjects on LGP, for instance, where you want to sound a bit more intelligent. Then there is the goofball BS'ing where no one cares about grammar.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:also IKTKHO, its better to use crappy grammar and sound like an idiot than use fancy words to try and sound smarter than you acutally are. *cough* godric *cough*

Kenny, I enjoy using my vocabulary.

I don't see why your so butt hurt about it, I don't care how smart anyone seems on the internet. You could write like **** hemingway and I'd still think you're a dbag
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Easton on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Godric wrote:Kenny, I enjoy using my vocabulary.

I don't see why your so butt hurt about it, I don't care how smart anyone seems on the internet. You could write like **** hemingway and I'd still think you're a dbag

By all accounts, Hemingway himself was a dbag.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Easton wrote:
Godric wrote:Kenny, I enjoy using my vocabulary.

By all accounts, Hemingway himself was a dbag.

You try having hemochromatosis and not kill yourself
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MWB on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Shyster wrote:

Punctuation doesn’t go inside quotation marks all of the time. Periods and commas go inside, semicolons and colons go outside, and question marks and exclamation marks go inside only if they are part of the quoted matter. Otherwise, question marks and exclamation points go outside.

Right, but the common error is to put periods outside.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby C4 Row E on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:05 am

MWB wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:
MWB wrote:I don't have a practical reason, I just get annoyed when people are so grammatically incorrect. Or if I make grammatical errors. Even when I text I write stuff out, use punctuation, and capitalize. I feel old.

:shock: I hope that this whole post is sarcasm.

No, why?

Almost everything in this post is grammatically incorrect.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PghSkins on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:19 pm

C4 Row E wrote:
MWB wrote:
C4 Row E wrote:
MWB wrote:I don't have a practical reason, I just get annoyed when people are so grammatically incorrect. Or if I make grammatical errors. Even when I text I write stuff out, use punctuation, and capitalize. I feel old.

:shock: I hope that this whole post is sarcasm.

No, why?

Almost everything in this post is grammatically incorrect.

It's not horrible, except for the fragment in the middle.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR