Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

That dude that won was in BAU5 mode the whole game. $30k on final jeopardy WUT?

I dont care really, but they got it right. Either way, no way the dude would have won so what's it matter?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,057
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:56 pm

I feel bad because he was probably embarassed.

"Sorry - he has the right answer but because he horribly misspelled and added a P in there, he's WRONG"
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,555
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm glad they ruled him wrong. He isn't going to have life handed to him on a silver platter when he grows up. Wipe the tears out of your eyes you little baby, you would have been crushed regardless of how they ruled your final answer.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,864
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Spelling was my only good subject in elementary school, let the weak be eaten for their inferior spelling.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,320
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby redwill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Crankshaft wrote:On a side now - wow, the 3rd kid cashed in at the end.


Yeah, he must have felt pretty good when the when the topic came up. When I was his age, I was a maniacal Civil War buff. I could name every commander, brigade-level and up, of every major and most minor battles of the Civil War and could also talk extensively about social and political issues.

I have dreamed about being in his situation and a Civil War question coming up.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,964
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby redwill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:05 pm

mac5155 wrote:I dont care really, but they got it right. Either way, no way the dude would have won so what's it matter?


I don't know the rules of this particular tournament, but maybe their final cash winnings are given to them as a scholarship or something? A $6000 swing would be important in that case. But I dunno.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,964
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby Shyster on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 pm

redwill wrote:But -- Jeopardy rules aside -- should this misspelling matter?

I am far more alarmed that that girl thought the Second Amendment was enacted during Lincoln's presidency.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,350
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Shyster wrote:
redwill wrote:But -- Jeopardy rules aside -- should this misspelling matter?

I am far more alarmed that that girl thought the Second Amendment was enacted during Lincoln's presidency.


A much more egregious error...

Sucks that Alex Trebek had to embarrass the kid on TV, but mental mistakes cost you, in games and in life. There is no spell check in reality.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,282
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby meow on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:18 pm

I seem to recall people writing straight chicken scratch down to the point of Alex trying to stumble through it and have the contestant just shout out the correct answer and Alex deem it correct.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,001
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby MWB on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Shyster wrote:
redwill wrote:But -- Jeopardy rules aside -- should this misspelling matter?

I am far more alarmed that that girl thought the Second Amendment was enacted during Lincoln's presidency.


A much more egregious error...

Sucks that Alex Trebek had to embarrass the kid on TV, but mental mistakes cost you, in games and in life. There is no spell check in reality.


No spell check in reality? Just auto correct, I guess.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,863
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:30 pm

redwill wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:On a side now - wow, the 3rd kid cashed in at the end.


Yeah, he must have felt pretty good when the when the topic came up. When I was his age, I was a maniacal Civil War buff. I could name every commander, brigade-level and up, of every major and most minor battles of the Civil War and could also talk extensively about social and political issues.

I have dreamed about being in his situation and a Civil War question coming up.

And I could answer any math question on the number of friends you had.

:fist:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,156
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Image
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,320
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

We've now digressed from grammar, but did this guy cheat on Jeopardy!?

TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,156
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:37 pm

And now another. I think this guy was the biggest Jeopardy! Boss. Jeopardy! Rules dictate that contestants that tie play again the next day. The defending champion led in final Jeopardy!; his two opponent had $8,000 each. On the chance that they'd both double their scores after getting it right, he intentionally bid an amount that would result in him tying them, instead of the usual one-dollar-more-than-my-opponents wager. Nailed it.

TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,156
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby redwill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:46 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:And I could answer any math question on the number of friends you had.

:fist:


Later, I developed a similar passion for the French Revolution. Man, the chicks came a-runnin'!
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,964
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:48 pm

redwill wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:And I could answer any math question on the number of friends you had.

:fist:


Later, I developed a similar passion for the French Revolution. Man, the chicks came a-runnin'!


:thumb: :fist: :lol:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,156
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:50 pm

redwill wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:And I could answer any math question on the number of friends you had.

:fist:


Later, I developed a similar passion for the French Revolution. Man, the chicks came a-runnin'!


You'd have better luck meeting a woman at a Rush concert.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,369
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:56 pm

redwill wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I dont care really, but they got it right. Either way, no way the dude would have won so what's it matter?


I don't know the rules of this particular tournament, but maybe their final cash winnings are given to them as a scholarship or something? A $6000 swing would be important in that case. But I dunno.


I think I heard second place was a $2,000 scholarship.

Also, Jeopardy prizes dont really seem to be on par with the exclusivity of the gameshow. $2k? sheesh
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,057
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby MWB on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:56 pm

redwill wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:And I could answer any math question on the number of friends you had.

:fist:


Later, I developed a similar passion for the French Revolution. Man, the chicks came a-runnin'!


"Oh, red, tell me about the Storming of the Bastille again."
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,863
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:04 pm

mac5155 wrote:
redwill wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I dont care really, but they got it right. Either way, no way the dude would have won so what's it matter?


I don't know the rules of this particular tournament, but maybe their final cash winnings are given to them as a scholarship or something? A $6000 swing would be important in that case. But I dunno.


I think I heard second place was a $2,000 scholarship.

Also, Jeopardy prizes dont really seem to be on par with the exclusivity of the gameshow. $2k? sheesh


That's 2nd place at the end of the tournament though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,942
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby redwill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:21 pm

MWB wrote:"Oh, red, tell me about the Storming of the Bastille again."


"OK, baby, but first let me teach you the French tongue."
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,964
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby redwill on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:56 pm

This is completely off-topic, but my favorite French Revolution character is Saint-Just, the hatchet-man of Robespierre. He was completely ruthless, kind of a Heydrich-like character. But he was a true ideologue and held his head high, right up to the moment it was chopped off.

Desmoulins said of Saint-Just, "He carries his head like a sacred host."

Saint-Just allegedly responded, "I'll make him carry his like Saint Denis."

HAHAHAHAHAHA! OH SNAP!

... And he did. And then followed him to the guillotine a few months later.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,964
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Shyster wrote:
redwill wrote:But -- Jeopardy rules aside -- should this misspelling matter?

I am far more alarmed that that girl thought the Second Amendment was enacted during Lincoln's presidency.


A much more egregious error...

Sucks that Alex Trebek had to embarrass the kid on TV, but mental mistakes cost you, in games and in life. There is no spell check in reality.


No spell check in reality? Just auto correct, I guess.


If your reality has auto-correct, you and I have different opinions on reality.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,282
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby MWB on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:34 pm

I guess I don't know what you mean by reality.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,863
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Grammar, punctuation, and all that jazz

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm

MWB wrote:I guess I don't know what you mean by reality.


Non-electronic human interaction... wow.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,282
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: llipgh2 and 6 guests


e-mail