Gas Prices... what the hell?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gas Prices... what the hell?

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:52 am

I knew this **** was gonna happen. It spikes and spikes and spikes, gets near $4 a gallon. Tons of public outrage, all of a sudden it drops and drops and drops back to about $3 a gallon and everyone breaths a sigh of relief. Then it slowly, very slowly, increases back up to around $3.50 per gallon and that's where it will stay and no one is upset because holy **** it's still not $4 a gallon and the media isn't all over this slow but steady increase. It's such **** and they've been doing this since prices start going up. There was the "Oh my God it's up from $2.15 to almost $3.00, then it dropped back to around $2 and slowly went up to $2.50 as the norm, then there was the increase to $3.50, back to $2.50, and slowly to $3.00. Why is no one getting jacked off at this like they were when gas was increasing wildly. This is worse, this is allowing the prices to increase and increase without outrage... insert more angry words.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Gas Prices... what the hell?

Postby viva la ben on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 am

UMAD
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Gas prices here over the past year have ranged from a low of US$4.41/gal to a high of US$5.29/gal.

http://www.NewBrunswickGasPrices.com/re ... 2&units=us
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

The oil companies see that there's virtually no drop in demand when gas is $3.50 vs $2.50 or less, so it's never going to go down and stay down unless another alternative comes along.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:05 am

Hockeynut! wrote:The oil companies see that there's virtually no drop in demand when gas is $3.50 vs $2.50 or less, so it's never going to go down and stay down unless another alternative comes along.

I tried hiring a homeless guy to pull a rickshaw for me, but that didn't quite work out well.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

Well, you know, 80% of all homeless rickshaw businesses fail within the first six months.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Bout to drop $300 driving to and from Pittsburgh, after putting $320 of oil in my tank yesterday for the furnace. I'm not even complaining anymore. Just crying and drinking a lot.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 am

Fossil fuels lol
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am

I saw it creeping back up too.

If you ever expect it to get into the $2 range again, that isn't goign to happen.

When it gets up around $4, fewer people drive and they conserve the gas, so the demand decreases and so does the price. Whenit starts getting under $3.50 range, people start driving again, using more gas and it will creep back up as demand creeps back up. Especially during the summer vacation period when a lot of people are traveling.

Get used to it. Until there is another alternative, that is what we will be paying.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am

I saw it creeping back up too.

If you ever expect it to get into the $2 range again, that isn't goign to happen.

When it gets up around $4, fewer people drive and they conserve the gas, so the demand decreases and so does the price. Whenit starts getting under $3.50 range, people start driving again, using more gas and it will creep back up as demand creeps back up. Especially during the summer vacation period when a lot of people are traveling.

Get used to it. Until there is another alternative, that is what we will be paying.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:13 am

It's a presidential election year. They'll drop quite a bit after Labor Day. Watch.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

pfim wrote:Bout to drop $300 driving to and from Pittsburgh, after putting $320 of oil in my tank yesterday for the furnace. I'm not even complaining anymore. Just crying and drinking a lot.

At that point isn't it worth looking into flying? Or are you moving something?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 am

If the hydrogen fuel cell is ever perfected, that will be our saving grace. Electric cars aren't the answer and public transport isn't always an option.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
pfim wrote:Bout to drop $300 driving to and from Pittsburgh, after putting $320 of oil in my tank yesterday for the furnace. I'm not even complaining anymore. Just crying and drinking a lot.

If it was just me or my wife and I, yes. But I have 3 kids, so 5 plane tickets, checked baggage etc. So I'd have to fly there and back, rent a car for the week etc.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 am

I don't blame you. I don't even have kids, and flying is painful enough. I shudder at the thought of trying to bring children on a plane ride. Already told my wife that barring a family emergency, we are not flying with children under 3.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

pfim wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

If it was just me or my wife and I, yes. But I have 3 kids, so 5 plane tickets, checked baggage etc. So I'd have to fly there and back, rent a car for the week etc.

Hang glider
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't blame you. I don't even have kids, and flying is painful enough. I shudder at the thought of trying to bring children on a plane ride. Already told my wife that barring a family emergency, we are not flying with children under 3.

As long as no one checks a bag, I don't mind flying at all.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:42 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't blame you. I don't even have kids, and flying is painful enough. I shudder at the thought of trying to bring children on a plane ride. Already told my wife that barring a family emergency, we are not flying with children under 3.

I'm with you. My wife wanted to take my 2 year old on a flight. I looked at her like she was nuts. My kid has a hard time sitting still on a 5 minute car ride.

Unless it's an emergency, or there is absolutely no other way to travel, I'm waiting until my kids are like 6 or 7 before I think about taking them on a plane.

Quick story, one time I was stuck on the runway for like 5 hours a few years ago, and then the flight was ultimately cancelled at like 3 in the morning and everyone had to sleep in the airport as all local hotels were booked.

Some poor lady had 3 kids with her, all under the age of like 5 that was on that flight. I don't know how she did it. I wanted to help her, but I didn't think she would be open to a complete stranger helping watcher her kids in an airport. However, to her and the kids credit, they were well behaved and only fussed minimally.

I just felt horrible for her. It had to be the longest night ever.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 am

shafnutz05 wrote:If the hydrogen fuel cell is ever perfected, that will be our saving grace. Electric cars aren't the answer and public transport isn't always an option.

Electric would be okay for city/short-term driving, but there's no way you could travel any distance.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

The five of us flew from Boston to Pittsburgh two years ago. My youngest was 9 months old, the others were 7 and 5. It wasn't bad. We had one checked bag (we were only going for a weekend) and we gave backpacks to the older kids to stuff things in for the on-board luggage. The problem isn't getting the stuff into the carry-ons, it's getting the carry-ons onto a plane since the kids can't exactly carry a lot.

Strollers, car seats...all the things you need on your trip, difficult to take on a plane though.

I don't know that I'd take a long flight with my current 2 (going on 3) year old, but 1-1.5 flight would be doable. That's just enough time that the thrill of being on an airplane doesn't wear off.

It didn't turn out too bad, except our connecting flight in DC was canceled and we had to take a cab from Dulles to National to get to Pittsburgh on time. Return flight was direct and painless.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nuge on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:54 am

With all the Marcellus Shale drilling, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of a push for natural gas vehicles.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:58 am

Nuge wrote:With all the Marcellus Shale drilling, I'm surprised we haven't heard more of a push for natural gas vehicles.

I really don't know much about it, but I thought I read it's difficult to dispense as it's unstable.

Plus, it's just one more thing that will run out eventually.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:04 am

newarenanow wrote:Some poor lady had 3 kids with her, all under the age of like 5 that was on that flight. I don't know how she did it. I wanted to help her, but I didn't think she would be open to a complete stranger helping watcher her kids in an airport. However, to her and the kids credit, they were well behaved and only fussed minimally.

kenny the kangaroo would certainly not accept help from a stranger if that stranger happened to be a nanerpuss
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:07 am

shafnutz05 wrote:If the hydrogen fuel cell is ever perfected, that will be our saving grace. Electric cars aren't the answer and public transport isn't always an option.

Great on a hot day too....

Spoiler:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:15 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
newarenanow wrote:Some poor lady had 3 kids with her, all under the age of like 5 that was on that flight. I don't know how she did it. I wanted to help her, but I didn't think she would be open to a complete stranger helping watcher her kids in an airport. However, to her and the kids credit, they were well behaved and only fussed minimally.

kenny the kangaroo would certainly not accept help from a stranger if that stranger happened to be a nanerpuss

You would love my help.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR